NSSF Expels Dick's Sporting Goods

InterestedBystander

https://www.nssf.org/nssf-expels-dicks-sporting-goods/

MAY 4, 2018

NSSF EXPELS DICKS SPORTING GOODS

NEWTOWN, Conn. The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dicks Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dicks Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for [l]obbying related to gun control. Dicks Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dicks later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

I believe that Dicks sporting goods CEO’s would have projected the losses. I’m glad they are being penalized but I don’t see it affecting them. It may even increase their profits if their virtue signaling is well received by the gun grabbing, soy latte drinking, under armor wearing, car pooling, soccer mom PTA’ers.

I believe that Dicks sporting goods CEO’s would have projected the losses. I’m glad they are being penalized but I don’t see it affecting them. It may even increase their profits if their virtue signaling is well received by the gun grabbing, soy latte drinking, under armor wearing, car pooling, soccer mom PTA’ers.

Except their sales are down corporate wide according to reports, just after the 21 year old thing. They have multiple chains that will be hit hard, because the clientele for them (Field and Stream, Several Golf equipment chains) are very sympathetic to supportive of our cause. Nope this is going to hurt them.

Except their sales are down corporate wide according to reports, just after the 21 year old thing. They have multiple chains that will be hit hard, because the clientele for them (Field and Stream, Several Golf equipment chains) are very sympathetic to supportive of our cause. Nope this is going to hurt them.
I will be glad if they go out of business supporting a Marxist movement. Not very “American” of them to blatantly attack the bill of rights.

You (cyber) are correct, Sir!

A CEO's bonus check is never affected by reality.

So he got a nice contract that has a bonus check going up regardless. He's looting the company dry then.

Modern day CEOs are just another employee of their companies. If any board is dissatisfied with its CEO, they should just fire him. If a board reduces a CEO's compensation, they're just hurting their ability to get a good CEO the next time.

The board represents the shareholders. If the board doesn't control a bad CEO, it's essentially the shareholders choosing to throw their money away. Shareholders who disagree can sell their shares to someone who does agree.

In Dick's case, either there are shareholders who don't care about money, or they're playing a game of Enron-style accounting where they slowly drive their own company out of business to scam someone into buying a truly worthless company later. Both moves are stupid. In either case, IMO the smart move is sell now, then stand back to watch what's left burn.

In the meantime, as a customer, if Dick's sells something at a better price than their competitors, feel free to buy it, because they're probably taking a loss on it at that price. There's no reason you can't come out ahead. In my experience, as I've said before, I've never found anything they sold at a price I would want to buy from them, though.

Archived