How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I may look more into expungement but will be definitely appealing in 2020. I don't see why I'd be denied in court after the judge sees the circumstances and that I've met all requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attempting to start the Revoke appeal process and soo unclear on what to do first. It's been more than 5 yrs from my stay at a hospital. Can I just mail in the Waiver of Liability form and see what happens.

No, there are other steps to follow as well.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47227&page=1

You will need to submit;

a. the waiver along with

b. Appeal request form https://ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/AppealRequest.pdf

c. and the mental health cert https://ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/MentalHealthCert.pdf

• 1 month later...
I hired a Attorney who said he could get me my foid over twenty years has passed since a forcible felony conviction with a friend. Trouble free since then we went to court and the judge ruled against me I had only thirty days to appeal the decision. It was never done the attorney wouldn't return my calls and I left several messages with him but he didn't respond. More than less he just took my money.What happens after you send in your appeal to ISP and loose? What happens if you cant go back to court because you only had the thirty day appeal am i really screwed?

• 3 weeks later...

I was voluntarily admitted to hospitals mental faculity in July 2013 for depression.at the suggestion of a doctor.My FOID was pulled.August 25th of this year I submitted all necessary forms & doctors reports with my appeal to ISP on August 29 I recived conformation that my registered letter was accepted by ISP.Since it has been over 5 years.I had hoped there would not be a problem.The doctor & licensed clinical psychologist who did my interview said that the state claims that these reviews are conducted within 30 days.I sent an e-mail to the proper e-mail address asking if in fact they have my info.With no answer back.I see from some of these replys to this topic.It may be a while.What else can I do ?

Edited by wolfcreek

I was voluntarily admitted to hospitals mental faculity in July 2013 for depression.at the suggestion of a doctor.My FOID was pulled.August 25th of this year I submitted all necessary forms & doctors reports with my appeal to ISP on August 29 I recived conformation that my registered letter was accepted by ISP.Since it has been over 5 years.I had hoped there would not be a problem.The doctor & licensed clinical psychologist who did my interview said that the state claims that these reviews are conducted within 30 days.I sent an e-mail to the proper e-mail address asking if in fact they have my info.With no answer back.I see from some of these replys to this topic.It may be a while.What else can I do ?

New applications are processed in 30 days but appeals can take anywhere from a few months to years, depending on the type of appeal. The mental health admission more than 5 years ago seem to be taking 3-6 months. They have to be reviewed by the mental health board before being ruled on.

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening,

I'm a new member and this is my first post here. At the risk of being repetitious following other's posts, I'm reaching out to get an idea for the appeal timeline.

I was convicted of two misdemeanor DUIs in 2012/15. One of the cases involved a dismissed felony DUI during the pendency of which my FOID was revoked. I have no other prohibitors and completed a long period of probation earlier this year. A non-mental health appeal was filed earlier this spring (approximately August) with all supporting documentation and a fairly well written legal brief (I'm an attorney, although don't practice anything related to licensing law(s)).

Wondering if being rated high-risk in my second DUI conviction would act as a bar/hurdle and what I can expect from the ISP.

Thanks for any replies!

--Victor

Good evening,

I'm a new member and this is my first post here. At the risk of being repetitious following other's posts, I'm reaching out to get an idea for the appeal timeline.

I was convicted of two misdemeanor DUIs in 2012/15. One of the cases involved a dismissed felony DUI during the pendency of which my FOID was revoked. I have no other prohibitors and completed a long period of probation earlier this year. A non-mental health appeal was filed earlier this spring (approximately August) with all supporting documentation and a fairly well written legal brief (I'm an attorney, although don't practice anything related to licensing law(s)).

Wondering if being rated high-risk in my second DUI conviction would act as a bar/hurdle and what I can expect from the ISP.

Thanks for any replies!

--Victor

Vic,

Did you submit certified copies showing successful completion of probation? Did you provide proof of an IL driver's license or state issued ID? I don't think the high risk DUI will keep you from getting the FOID reinstated but it could serve as a 5 year prohibitor for a concealed carry license.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Thanks for any replies!

--Victor

Vic,

Did you submit certified copies showing successful completion of probation? Did you provide proof of an IL driver's license or state issued ID? I don't think the high risk DUI will keep you from getting the FOID reinstated but it could serve as a 5 year prohibitor for a concealed carry license.

Molly,

Thanks for the response. I submitted certified copies of all dispositions and a copy of my State ID. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

--Victor

• 1 month later...

Hello,

My FOID was denied while I was under the age of 18 (I was 17). I applied back in 2011 in-store at a local shop. I was avidly shooting with my grandfather which I was living in his household at the time with my father (parents divorced). While applying for my FOID, I had used my father as my sponsor. My father's FOID was revoked and we were unaware that due to his being in revoked status, that it would affect the acceptance of mine. Since then, my FOID has been in denial status and I have been unable to reapply.

Just recently, I've filled out the appeal/investigation sheets and will be sending them in soon. I know that I've waited a long time to appeal this, but I'm wondering what the average wait time would be for a situation like this to hear back.

I've never been arrested. Never been charged or convicted. I live on my own and purchased my own home recently. I'm confused as to why I was even denied in the first place when it was because of something that wasn't even my fault. But nonetheless, I have to go through this process now... Unless there's another way.

I'm looking for any advice or help at this point since this red denial bar has been sitting under my name for 8 years now...

Thank you!

-Nicholas

Hello,

My FOID was denied while I was under the age of 18 (I was 17). I applied back in 2011 in-store at a local shop. I was avidly shooting with my grandfather which I was living in his household at the time with my father (parents divorced). While applying for my FOID, I had used my father as my sponsor. My father's FOID was revoked and we were unaware that due to his being in revoked status, that it would affect the acceptance of mine. Since then, my FOID has been in denial status and I have been unable to reapply.

Just recently, I've filled out the appeal/investigation sheets and will be sending them in soon. I know that I've waited a long time to appeal this, but I'm wondering what the average wait time would be for a situation like this to hear back.

I've never been arrested. Never been charged or convicted. I live on my own and purchased my own home recently. I'm confused as to why I was even denied in the first place when it was because of something that wasn't even my fault. But nonetheless, I have to go through this process now... Unless there's another way.

I'm looking for any advice or help at this point since this red denial bar has been sitting under my name for 8 years now...

Thank you!

-Nicholas

Have you tried to reapply as an adult?

Hello,

Thank you!

-Nicholas

Have you tried to reapply as an adult?

Yes, I have.

When I reapplied online using a new email and login ID, it brought me back to my original application login. I can try re-attempting this to confirm.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi fellow members. Molly B..i was wrongfully charged with a crime i did not commit by someone who acted maliciously towards me. I was found not guilty of the crime in criminal court however the person was able to attain a order of protection against me prior to my not guilty verdict. This order of protection lead to my rovocation of my CCL/foid for the 2yr duration of the order. The state police refused to renew my ccl/foid though i was found not guilty and was given a court order demanding the return of my firearms and foid. They also refused to release my firearms to a thrid party who had his own valid foid/ccl to store at his home until the end of my 2yr SNCO. Now that my order is coming to a close on May 23 2019, after 2 yrs of waiting for my rights back. What are my options for making sure my FOID and firearms are returned to me as the court order stated that the state police return my inventoried items to me? Can i demand that they return my firearm to me now? Or to a person of my choosing with a valid FOID card? I have heard of the state police "losing" peoples inventory and such at the last minute and so forth. I have already been found not guilty for the very same crime that led to this order of protection against me and just want to make sure my rights and belongings are returned. Thankyou

Hi fellow members. Molly B..i was wrongfully charged with a crime i did not commit by someone who acted maliciously towards me. I was found not guilty of the crime in criminal court however the person was able to attain a order of protection against me prior to my not guilty verdict. This order of protection lead to my rovocation of my CCL/foid for the 2yr duration of the order. The state police refused to renew my ccl/foid though i was found not guilty and was given a court order demanding the return of my firearms and foid. They also refused to release my firearms to a thrid party who had his own valid foid/ccl to store at his home until the end of my 2yr SNCO. Now that my order is coming to a close on May 23 2019, after 2 yrs of waiting for my rights back. What are my options for making sure my FOID and firearms are returned to me as the court order stated that the state police return my inventoried items to me? Can i demand that they return my firearm to me now? Or to a person of my choosing with a valid FOID card? I have heard of the state police "losing" peoples inventory and such at the last minute and so forth. I have already been found not guilty for the very same crime that led to this order of protection against me and just want to make sure my rights and belongings are returned. Thankyou

Hi Molly

I have had a active foid card since 2009 and didn kno it because my addresses didn match so upon finding this out I applied for change of address and also completed my 16hr ccl class for them to revoke my foid card for convictions for controlled substances in 93 and 97(no forcible entry,battery,domestic nothin)..I have not been in any trouble since.I have been working the same job for the past 11 years I have sent all the documents that's stated on appeal sheets to the T.(notorized letters from myself and 4 others EVERYTHING) I submitted them in the middle of Jan I know it's about to be a long walk but have u heard of any1 winning an appeal sorta similar to mine and bout how long should I wait or should I get legal help what should I do I just want to be able to protect me and my family as well as others

Edited by John64

Now that my order is coming to a close on May 23 2019, after 2 yrs of waiting for my rights back. What are my options for making sure my FOID and firearms are returned to me as the court order stated that the state police return my inventoried items to me? Can i demand that they return my firearm to me now? Or to a person of my choosing with a valid FOID card? I have heard of the state police "losing" peoples inventory and such at the last minute and so forth. I have already been found not guilty for the very same crime that led to this order of protection against me and just want to make sure my rights and belongings are returned. Thankyou

As long as there is an order of protection against you, there is a prohibition on being in possession of firearms. As soon as the protective order ends, get a certified copy of the dismissal and submit with your appeal to the ISP. It is safe to assume the ISP will not return the firearms until the protective order is terminated and your FOID is reinstated. I do not think you will prevail in demanding they be returned now or transferred to a person of your choosing. If they ignored a court order to return it, they will ignore you too. You could take them to court again but I don't think it will change anything.