Responding to CCL Review Board Request for Statement

Ok,i should have called that number because i really did not want to take that day off work but it all worked out at the end. I really did need more time when CPD told me i had to wait about a week for a police report after i filed a freedom of information request. I still have not receive any information on those reports from the CPD either.

How do you file a FOIA for all your arrest and police reports?

Go to CPD Headquarters on 35th and michigan to the access and review department(as soon as you walk in the building to your left) and request for a rap sheet. A rap sheet can take up to 5 days. You can file a FOIA there but you will need the case number. The FOIA is only for reports and the rap sheet is only for arrest. I will note to this day i still have not receive those reports but i did make a copy of the FOIA request with a CPD stamp and i sent that to the review board to show that i am trying to get to the bottom of this issue. One lady told me straight up that i will not receive those reports. I think that the correct reports have to be subpoenaed by a attorney.If you dont get the actual report,send the FOIA request to the review board with the case numbers and the CPD stamp and let the review board know that the CPD is not releasing this information or you have not received the information you have requested.

Ok,i should have called that number because i really did not want to take that day off work but it all worked out at the end. I really did need more time when CPD told me i had to wait about a week for a police report after i filed a freedom of information request. I still have not receive any information on those reports from the CPD either.

How do you file a FOIA for all your arrest and police reports?

I was told about Knox using one DB arrest (no conviction, charges dismissed with prejudice, SA cannot refile) to get a guy denied. He was stupid for not expunging the arrest prior to applying but...denied for a DB arrest? Not 10, one. This whole process is the definition of unconstitutional. I don't see DB arrest as a disqualifier so how they can deny for that is...well, they can't but they do anyway.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CPD Headquarters is only for Police Reports made in Chicago and i think you have to get a Illinois State Police rap sheet for suburbs.Im not really sure how the suburbs work so i do not want to give you any false information.

Do you know if it’s possible to get CPD records at the Daley center?

I was requested to respond to the RB on December 23, 2017 I followed all the steps Molly listed in her post . I Check my status on 01/17/2018 it went from Under board review to Under review. Inspect element says approved now i'm just waiting been waiting since 5/2016 I guess I can wait a little more longer. These LEO objections are a major hold up. My advice is just be patient. Been waiting 20 months.

I was requested to respond to the RB on December 23, 2017 I followed all the steps Molly listed in her post . I Check my status on 01/17/2018 it went from Under board review to Under review. Inspect element says approved now i'm just waiting been waiting since 5/2016 I guess I can wait a little more longer. These LEO objections are a major hold up. My advice is just be patient. Been waiting 20 months.

Great news! Congrats and carry safe!

Congratulations muffin,i think the review board is starting to see right through the frivolous objections.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some guidance from others here who have had the ISP object to expunged arrests. Besides the whole thing being unconstitutional. I have some serious concerns. These expungments were a decade ago. When I went to get reports on the list of objections the ISP sent me from CPD, they had no record of them because they were expunged, with the exception of one case that was dropped(must have forgot to have my lawyer expunge it).

That being said, if the expungement is doing what it’s supposed to(making it disappear)how am I supposed to respond to the objections that the ISP really has no legal grounds bringing up? A judge decided I was innocent and therefore dropped these cases, and last I checked, the decision of a judge is greater than those filing unconstitutional objections.

Now here’s my main concern. I’ve seen a lot of advice suggesting people be honest with the review board if you made mistakes in the past. Which is fine, everyone makes mistakes and deserves another chance. But how are you supposed to adress certain “objections” that you were cleared and found innocent, in a court of law, by a judge, without incriminating yourself?

I would send the expungement orders if in fact they objected to an expunged arrest. I highly doubt they objected due to expunged records. I would just get that other case expunged just in case that ends up being the reason they objected, that way you could show you expunged it.

They 100% did object to expunged cases. I’ve tried to contact the lawyer I had back then that did the expungement to get proof/have the other one expunged, but that was 10 years ago and he may be retired now. Hasn’t returned my call and the voice mail was the generic robotic lady.

Looking for some guidance from others here who have had the ISP object to expunged arrests. Besides the whole thing being unconstitutional. I have some serious concerns. These expungments were a decade ago. When I went to get reports on the list of objections the ISP sent me from CPD, they had no record of them because they were expunged, with the exception of one case that was dropped(must have forgot to have my lawyer expunge it).

That being said, if the expungement is doing what it’s supposed to(making it disappear)how am I supposed to respond to the objections that the ISP really has no legal grounds bringing up? A judge decided I was innocent and therefore dropped these cases, and last I checked, the decision of a judge is greater than those filing unconstitutional objections.

Now here’s my main concern. I’ve seen a lot of advice suggesting people be honest with the review board if you made mistakes in the past. Which is fine, everyone makes mistakes and deserves another chance. But how are you supposed to adress certain “objections” that you were cleared and found innocent, in a court of law, by a judge, without incriminating yourself?

Basically what you have stated here is what you would put in your response. You state these incidents have been expunged with the approval of the court, the law enforcement agencies, and the ISP. Tell them you cannot even get a copy of the records in order to respond about the details so you are challenging the accuracy of any report that you cannot obtain to review. Be sure to mention it has been a decade since these were expunged.

The objections that were cleared and found innocent - you state you were cleared and found innocent in a court of law by a judge - it's best if you have a copy of the judges orders to submit with your response.

It's possible that you expunged the case and LE's did not update their system. I would go and get another background check from 35th and Michigan (go before 12 for finger prints) just to see if anything shows up.

I wish I could, but I work Monday-Friday during those hours. It’s like the ISP knows that most people applying for their CCW are honest hard working people, so they make ridiculous requirements on purpose, to make acquiring your lincense as difficult as possible.

It's possible that you expunged the case and LE's did not update their system. I would go and get another background check from 35th and Michigan (go before 12 for finger prints) just to see if anything shows up.

I wish I could, but I work Monday-Friday during those hours. It’s like the ISP knows that most people applying for their CCW are honest hard working people, so they make ridiculous requirements on purpose, to make acquiring your lincense as difficult as possible.

No, that was the anti-Second Amendment leaders in both the House and Senate that did that.

The objections that were cleared and found innocent - you state you were cleared and found innocent in a court of law by a judge - it's best if you have a copy of the judges orders to submit with your response.

But the problem with them being so long ago is I have no idea where those papers could be. I’ve serached everywhere. The last place I remember them being was in a file cabinet at my grandmothers house. We sold the building a couple years after she passed and haven’t seen them since. The lawyer who handed the expungement hasn’t returned my phone call(most likely retired).

No, that was the anti-Second Amendment leaders in both the House and Senate that did that.

You’re absolutely right. I’m just frustrated at the moment.

Has anyone had a lawyer write a response for the review board, if so, what was the outcome?

I had a pro-2A lawyer tell me he would send a letter to the review board before they even ask for one. He said he did it before for an individual and they received their CCL 30 days later. Not sure if its true or not but he wanted $800.00 to write the letter. I choose not to do it.

hello guys thank you for the add on after reading the forums want to tell Molly B.thanks for everything she does for Illinois Carry.Com and our 2nd amendment rights .got my 1st letter on Nov. 2 stating that ISP received a objection on my app. i will received another letter within 30 days . I have all my papers in my hand with a letter from CPD and ISP saying that my records have been seal and expunged and they are in compliance with the court order also have all my expunged papers with me sign and seal by clerk's office and the judge -. do i wait see if the board over rules . thank you