FFL's moving/closing as a result of the new dealer licencing act- MEGA THREAD

Patriots & Tyrants

So I got the idea shamelessly from other sources but lets compile a list of all the places closed, moving or changing their business strategy as a result of the new dealer licensing act. Post any known closings below and I will try to keep this pretty up to date as a master "this is what gun control gets us" list.

A&S Gunsmithing- Mt. Vernon, IL: Surrendering FFL, still open for gunsmithing

Airline Pawn- Rosewood, IL: Surrendering FFL

Applied Arsenal Finishes- Watterman, IL: Moving to Minnesota

Birds-N-Brooks Army Navy Surplus- Springfield, IL: No longer selling firearms

Boomers & Blasters- Peru, IL: Closed

Bridgeview Sports Sales- Bridgeview, IL: Closing

Christopher Coin, Gun & Pawn- Pekin, IL: Closing in August

Dale's Guns- Marengo, IL: Closed

Fishman’s Sporting Goods- Girard, IL: Closing

Gilmor Guns- Loves Park, IL: Closing

G M Bartelmay Guns- Morton, IL: Closing

Great Guns Armory- Plainfield, IL: No more transfers, open for Gunsmithing

Jim's Guns- Lawrenceville, IL: Closing

Lazy S- Flora, IL: Closing

Lebar Custom Engraving- LeLand, IL: Closing

Lost Creek Trading Post- Marshall, IL: Moving to Indiana

M-Fred's Guitars & Guns- Mattoon, IL: Surrendered FFL

Oglesby & Oglesby- Springfield, IL: Closing

Phil's Village Sports Center- Arlington Heights, IL: Closing

PM Shooting- Troy, IL: Closing

The Ridge Gun Shop- Herod, IL: Closed

Schrank's Smoke 'n Gun- Waukegan, IL: Changing to appointment only

Shawnee Gun Service, Elizabethtown, IL: Closed

Shooting, Inc- Troy IL: Closing

The Gun Doctor- Henning, IL: Closing

Ugly Mike's- McHenry, IL: Closing

Walnut Creek Shooters Supply- Brownstown, IL: No longer "selling" firearms as of 7/17

Wild Dave’s- Herrin, IL: Closing

Edited by Patriots & Tyrants

On a semi-related note, much bigger companies have their own issues:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/these-retailers-have-announced-store-closures-in-2019.html

And perhaps directly related to this topic, how many mom-n-pop shops have had to close their doors because of increasing lost profit from gun sales due to people shopping online and just needing an FFL for transfers?

From the list above, Fishman's was a mom and pop who in recent years only kept hours several days per week.

During the ammo famine of the previous administration, they were one of the only stores I was able to track down and purchase decent amounts of .22 caliber.

I completely understand why they have seen it easier to pull the plug than continue to pay overhead for likely less than minimum wage.

The Birds N Brooks is also a long, long time business that I recall going in as a boy as begging for goodies from the military surplus section.

Sad to see and just another sign of the Illinois times.

Nobody is congress give two hoots about either of those places.

And not at all who they were trying to target.

It's EXACTLY who they were trying to target. They know criminals don't buy guns through an FFL, so the law was never intended to stop any crime. They're purposely making it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns. End around gun control. It's an incremental step.

From the list above, Fishman's was a mom and pop who in recent years only kept hours several days per week.

During the ammo famine of the previous administration, they were one of the only stores I was able to track down and purchase decent amounts of .22 caliber.

I completely understand why they have seen it easier to pull the plug than continue to pay overhead for likely less than minimum wage.

The Birds N Brooks is also a long, long time business that I recall going in as a boy as begging for goodies from the military surplus section.

Sad to see and just another sign of the Illinois times.

Nobody is congress give two hoots about either of those places.

I am going to drop by Gilmor this weekend if they are open and just see what they have. So far most of these closings are way out of my normal stomping grounds.

It's EXACTLY who they were trying to target. They know criminals don't buy guns through an FFL, so the law was never intended to stop any crime. They're purposely making it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns. End around gun control. It's an incremental step.

In debate, on this or possibly an earlier bill, Senator Harmon mentioned that there are a few stores in the Chicago area toward which he would have liked to direct the legislation, but couldn't legally do so.

In debate, on this or possibly an earlier bill, Senator Harmon mentioned that there are a few stores in the Chicago area toward which he would have liked to direct the legislation, but couldn't legally do so.
So naturally, the thing to do in that situation is penalize everyone.

It is far less intrusive to punish actual criminals than to create them through regulations.

If what the legislators really wanted was just to grant the ISP (a state agency) the authority to audit an FFL's transfer records (instead of requiring assistance from the ATF, a federal agency) if it suspected criminal activity, they could have written the licensing law that way, but they didn't.

Edited by Euler

The longer I stay in this state the less faith I have in the process. Exposing their lies means exactly what. Nobody cares. Willis and Harmon both blatantly lie to their fellow legislators, their constituents, and the public in it's entirety. There is no honor. There's just winning at any cost. Knowing that Satan has a special place for them later isn't as fun to think about as it used to be now that their making serious infringements instead of just the little nibbles here and there.

FYI I added 1 or 2 more and will keep doing so; if you want to post any I have missed here, or PM me. I will try to update this once every day or two.

As a side note this mostly as we all knew but as the antis swore it would not is effecting small town gun dealers, many of whom I would be surprised if they sold ONE eventual crime gun a year; if one EVER depending on the length they were in business.

The solution is to make "gun dealer" just 3% of what they do. Attach gun ranges, donut shops, muffler repair...whatever it takes to fix the economic hardship IL has inflicted on these FFL's.

Are you going to provide the money and/or credit needed for remodeling, new construction, new inventory, training, etc.?

The solution is to make "gun dealer" just 3% of what they do. Attach gun ranges, donut shops, muffler repair...whatever it takes to fix the economic hardship IL has inflicted on these FFL's.

Are you going to provide the money and/or credit needed for remodeling, new construction, new inventory, training, etc.?

Crowd funding has been used for other situations. If stand-alone gun dealers are being squashed, what's a new business model?

It is far less intrusive to punish actual criminals than to create them through regulations.If what the legislators really wanted was just to grant the ISP (a state agency) the authority to audit an FFL's transfer records (instead of requiring assistance from the ATF, a federal agency) if it suspected criminal activity, they could have written the licensing law that way, but they didn't.

It has nothing to do with crime prevention. They dont want civilians to have guns. This was a way to make it harder for us to get them and an incremental step in their ultimate quest to ban and confiscate guns. FFL licensing wasnt the goal, it was a single action item on a long list for them.

Edited by DomG