DIY Custom Case Project

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 mikew

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I am going to need to start doing this very soon on a much greater scale

I can share that my learning curve with this was steep, that drawing on the cardboard and cutting through it is a fast method.

I did a plunge cut through the cardboard into the foam wherever it suited me. 

The end result was not as sharp as the photos of the hotwire method, but I did not have to cut all the way through the layered foam, either.

#32 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

I can share that my learning curve with this was steep, that drawing on the cardboard and cutting through it is a fast method.

The end result was not as sharp as the photos of the hotwire method, but I did not have to cut all the way through the layered foam, either.

I was thinking about getting a Hot Wire Styrofoam Knife from American Science and Surplus to do both plunge cutting and hot wire cutting at the same time. I wonder if that would work with that kind of foam?

Here is a video of that kind of hot wire knife being used to cut foam:

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 25 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#33 mikew

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

I was thinking about getting a Hot Wire Styrofoam Knife from American Science and Surplus to do both plunge cutting and hot wire cutting at the same time. I wonder if that would work with that kind of foam?

Would you try to do depth control?

#34 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Would you try to do depth control?

I was thinking of just making a stiff rubber two-piece collar (like the collar on a Glock firing pin) that would fit around the "hilt" of the hot wire knife to snug it into a Dremel router base, and use the adjusters to vary the height by the screws to control the depth.

Or, I could make a purpose-built version just for the hot knife, similar to this one:

This seems like a viable technique to make a very nicely adjustable hot-wire plunge cutter for foam, if I can get it set up like I think it can be.

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 26 September 2017 - 11:32 AM.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#35 mikew

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

I look forward to hearing of success using this tool, then.

#36 ChicagoRonin70

• 3,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

I look forward to hearing of success using this tool, then.

When I pull the trigger on the project, so to speak, I shall report the results herein!

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#37 BigBL87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Glad to see this had been helpful! Haven't checked in for awhile because my first child was born slightly unexpectedly last week (actually got the call from my wife that her water broke literally within an hour after my last post!). I have made a few tweaks to my case as well, but nothing major. I like the cardboard idea, might have to try that when I make the one I told my father-in-law I'd make for him.

Edited by BigBL87, 27 September 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#38 solareclipse2

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

I have one of those hot wire cutters. It was not hot enough for case foam. I wrecked my pelican case foam the first time around and had to buy a replacement set. Get the one from HERE instead. It gets hot enough to cut the foam smoothly. 

If you're going to make that Dremel router attachment, I have heard of people having success just using the Dremel or other types of routers on their case foam. I think I may be trying that for my next experiment. 

I WILL LOSE EVERY ARGUMENT FROM NOW ON, I WILL WALK AWAY FROM EVERY FIGHT OR CONFRONTATION, I WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.

#39 mikew

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

OK, here's an example of the "cut thru the outline that you traced on some cardboard" method,
using a sabresaw with a knife-edge blade, no attempt was made at controlling depth.

This is a piece of 30mm foam with an uncut piece of 12mm foam behind it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0929171300.png
  • 0929171300_Burst01.png
  • 0929171300a.png

#40 BigBL87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

That looks pretty darn good. If you have rough edges, you can use a hot knife turned on high or a copper pipe and a torch and smooth it out. Don't even have to touch it if it's hot enough, the heat coming off it will melt the rough strands into the "walls" of your cutout.

Edited by BigBL87, 01 October 2017 - 03:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users