3 gun shotgun recommendation?

Illinois Sucks

One last question before the Zombie shoot tomorrow. Which choke should I run? I have the three, four and five notch chokes to choose from. Modified, Imp. Cyl and Cyl (Pattern with lead).

Thanks again!!

It depends on the distance, and the type of target you're shooting.

For clay targets, you want the spread to work for you, so shooting an IC would work great.

For knockover steel and distances where you're approaching 20 yards or further, you want something like a light mod.

Whenever I shoot a 3 gun match, 90% of the time the improved cylinder is in my gun. I don't think I've ever even used my modified choke.

I run the modified for steel in my M3K. It's the first choke I installed and has always knocked the steel around, so I left it in. A friend has the Beretta 1301 and he runs light modified with good results. I ran my 870 with a 20" police barrel with a cylinder choke at my first match and couldn't get the spinner to move more than a few inches. I also had trouble knocking the plates off of their stands more than about 10 yards away. Unless you have to, don't use cylinder.

Hit Wal-Mart up on Friday afternoon and picked up a bulk box of 2 3/4" 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz in 7.5. The MOA Precision +5 tube was on the doorstep when I got home. I installed the tube and got accustomed to loading and unloading the gun. Yesterday at The Zombie Shoot, we headed over to the shotgun practice area my wife took it for the maiden test drive. The RSO running the shotgun range asked what choke was installed. He said was hitting the targets a lot harder than everything else he had been seeing so far. He suggested moving to a more open choke. I pulled the modified choke out and installed the improved cylinder which moved the hanging targets a lot less. Three of us would be using the shotgun for the event so we all ran a train on it and put 50 rounds through it without a hiccup and then headed over to the stages. We did three 3 gun stages each and never failed to knock down a target on the first try. The gun ran flawless. Super happy with the purchase. My buddy that used the gun too now wants one. Thanks for all the help on this!

Hit Wal-Mart up on Friday afternoon and picked up a bulk box of 2 3/4" 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz in 7.5. The MOA Precision +5 tube was on the doorstep when I got home. I installed the tube and got accustomed to loading and unloading the gun. Yesterday at The Zombie Shoot, we headed over to the shotgun practice area my wife took it for the maiden test drive. The RSO running the shotgun range asked what choke was installed. He said was hitting the targets a lot harder than everything else he had been seeing so far. He suggested moving to a more open choke. I pulled the modified choke out and installed the improved cylinder which moved the hanging targets a lot less. Three of us would be using the shotgun for the event so we all ran a train on it and put 50 rounds through it without a hiccup and then headed over to the stages. We did three 3 gun stages each and never failed to knock down a target on the first try. The gun ran flawless. Super happy with the purchase. My buddy that used the gun too now wants one. Thanks for all the help on this!

I was out there yesterday just running the cheap stuff walmart has for less than $20/100. I've put hundreds of rounds of that through this gun, no problems, even though you'll find others saying this gun doesn't like to run the stuff.

I was running the IC choke in my gun too, that's what I generally run for 3gun and never fail to knock down a target. Since you mentioned the modified choke hitting harder and making the targets move visibly, I might run that one next time just for fun.

I was out there yesterday just running the cheap stuff walmart has for less than $20/100. I've put hundreds of rounds of that through this gun, no problems, even though you'll find others saying this gun doesn't like to run the stuff.

I was running the IC choke in my gun too, that's what I generally run for 3gun and never fail to knock down a target. Since you mentioned the modified choke hitting harder and making the targets move visibly, I might run that one next time just for fun.

Yeah.. that is exactly what I was running. $19.56 a box of 100. With the IC choke, the hanging targets would barely move... with the modified, they would swing back violently. Very big difference... Not sure how much more accurate you will need to be though.

Yeah.. that is exactly what I was running. $19.56 a box of 100. With the IC choke, the hanging targets would barely move... with the modified, they would swing back violently. Very big difference... Not sure how much more accurate you will need to be though.

That's basically what I was finding too, I was questioning whether or not I was hitting them. The targets higher up on the posts were easier to tell that I was hitting.

That's basically what I was finding too, I was questioning whether or not I was hitting them. The targets higher up on the posts were easier to tell that I was hitting.

The ones on the posts would ring loudly even with the IC choke.

You should pattern the shotguns with the intended loads. With a 24 inch barrel you are good on pretty heavy steal out to about 20 yards with and IC choke. Once you start getting past that you might want to go to a light mod. That gun right now is about the best for the money. You can spend more but it is really not needed unless you want something specific. Generally the difference between it at the m2 is the type of inertia system and I would say the m2 is a tad bit lighter. The Versamax is much heavier but does not recoil as much (not that it is bad but VM is really light). It has proven reliable so far with no real problems reported.

I know you guys really like the walmart stuff but I can not say enough times it has been choking a lot of guns as of late. Have fun glad you like it.

Archived