Arizona...under-rated non-res CCP?

Beezil

I was wondering if any of you certified pistol instructors are advising your students who are taking your basic pistol course about the merits of an arizona permit?

less expensive than florida, descent reciprocity.

your thoughts?

AZ gives you NV, and is the only easy to acquire non-res permit that does. Very good reciprocity.

Part of me asking this is from an instructors point of view.

I also have an AZ. IIRC, AZ required the 8hr. basic pistol....florida seems fine with a general 4 hr. course.

AZ and FL have almost the same reciprocity...AZ is a damn good permit to have it seems.

It is also less expensive.

the only difference in "market demand" it seems, would be to get a more expensive RTC permit in half as much classroom time?

I have a few friends that want me to do a pistol course, one is a brand new shooter that really wants to learn something, and the other folks want a RTC permit. I explained that the florida will cost 117 bucks, which there was some disappointment over.

I really want to do a basic pistol, and follow the exact lesson plan as i was taught. Since I am doing this at no cost, I want to gain experience in the instructor role, I also need to satify the requirement for doing one NRA basic Pistol class within the year.

again, this is for friends at this point, i just want to be sure i'm presenting suitable options that we may both benefit from

Assuming you do not need coverage in Minnesota, the AZ permit is better than Utah's. AZ does NOT require an 8 hour class. If you have a permit from a State that requires training (Oh, say UT or FL), you can get the AZ permit by supplying a copy of your other permit. You could also take any NRA pistol class and it is valid for AZ. I highly recommend the AZ permit. What makes it marginally less useful for IL residents is that you still need either a permit from some other State or NRA training.

What states recognize my permit? SEE permit options below to select the best options for your individual needs and coverage.

Arizona CCW Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, GA, IA, ID,

IN, KS, KY, LA,

MO, MS, MT, NE,

NC, ND, NM, NV

OH, OK, PA, SD,

TN, TX, UT, VA,

VT, WI, WV, WY

TOTAL 32 STATES

Florida CCW Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, FL, GA, IA,

ID, IN, KS, KY,

LA, MO, MS, MT,

NE, NC, ND, NM,

OH, OK, PA, SD,

TN, TX, UT, VA,

VT, WA, WV, WY

TOTAL 32 STATES

Iowa CCW Permit Residents Only

AK, AL, AR, AZ

CO, FL, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MI,

MO, MT, NE, NC,

ND, OK, SD, TN,

TX, UT, VT, WI, WY

TOTAL 25 STATES

Utah CFP Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, GA, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MN,

MO, MS, MT, NE,

NC, ND, OH, OK,

PA, SD, TN, TX,

UT, VA, VT, WA,

WI, WV, WY

TOTAL 31 STATES

Wisconsin CCL Residents Only

AK, AR, AZ, CO,

IA, ID, IN, KY,

LA, MI, MO, MT,

NC, ND, NM, OK,

PA, SD, TN, UT,

VT, WI

TOTAL 22 STATES

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to do a basic pistol, and follow the exact lesson plan as i was taught. Since I am doing this at no cost, I want to gain experience in the instructor role, I also need to satify the requirement for doing one NRA basic Pistol class within the year.

Depending on when you do this class, I would be willing to assist as an assistant instructor. I've fullfilled my instructor requirement, so I'm only looking for experience in the assistant role. I realize it is at no cost, that's not a concern for me. Happy to do it, PM me if interested.

I am new to IllinoisCarry.com and initially joined only to ask a question about Downer's Grove carry laws. However, I am a neighbor to you guys and gals here and Iowa and am also an NRA Training Counselor and will be getting my Utah Instructors Permit in May. Do you guys feel there is a need for more courses in Illinois? I would be willing to travel and put on a course if there is an interest. Cost will depend on travel expenses and lodging in Illinois. I very much appreciate the feedback.

Iowa CCW Permit Residents Only

AK, AL, AR, AZ

CO, FL, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MI,

MO, MT, NE, NC,

ND, OK, SD, TN,

TX, UT, VT, WI, WY

TOTAL 25 STATES

Iowa currently covers a total of 28 states, they are however a RESIDENT ONLY state:

Alabama Kentucky Pennsylvania

Alaska Louisiana South Dakota

Arizona Michigan Tennessee

Arkansas Missouri Texas

Colorado Montana Utah

Florida Nebraska Vermont

Georgia New HampshireWisconsin

Idaho North Carolina Wyoming

Indiana North Dakota

Iowa Oklahoma

• 2 weeks later...

Since mentioning my veteran status in my introductory post I was informed that there are a lot of veterans on this forum so I guess this is relevant: a DD-214 or copy of you military ID if you are still on active duty is like a waiver for the training requirement of BOTH Florida and Arizona's permit but not Utah's. Just to be clear I think everyone should get some sort of formal training even if it is just from a friend, I don't think it should be mandatory though. Useful info for veterans, think of what else you could do with the money you would have spent on the class. I also think its somewhat ironic (maybe not the best word) to apply for an Arizona permit as a non-resident since you only need it for reciprocity, it is not needed in Arizona anymore unless you want to carry in a bar, but where is the fun in not drinking? A designated driver/shooter I guess?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I dont see anywhere how long the permit is valid for. Did I miss it or does someone know? It also doesnt say it must be LE to fingerprint. Can I fingerprint myself?I have been fingerprinted so many times I feel like I am a pro. :D

This page should answer your questions>>>

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

If you look at the license near the bottom of the page it shows that it is good for 5 years.

I just finally had the time today to call in and ask for the app, just sent in my FL CCW. Should I also look into getting a UT CCW?

If you travel to Minnesota a Utah LTC is good, but not Arizona or Florida. A friend of mine showed me his Utah LTC yesterday, I told him about Boogs class a couple months ago. He has family in Minnesota. Utah covers surrounding states except Michigan which doesn't recognize non-resident LTC. They don't issue a non-resident LTC. Open carry is allowed but not in a vehicle without a LTC, so Illinoisans are screwed when it comes to carry while traveling in Michigan.

BTW, I just edited it today because I had said "If you travel to Minnesota a Utah LTC is good, but not an Arizona or Utah, corrected that to be Arizona or Florida.

Archived