Bad business at Palmetto State Armory with rifle sale to Cook County

taxman213

I ordered a Kel-Tec Sub2k during a recent sale they had. Before I completed the sale, I made sure I looked through their "Terms and Conditions" page to make sure they weren't going to pull any shenanigans after the purchase. I live on the edge of Cook, use a DuPage-based FFL, and keep all my fun stuff locked up in a safe outside Cook county. I've never had an issue from any vendor when it comes to ordering a handgun/rifle/receiver being shipped to my current FFL or any others I've used in the past.

Under "firearms restrictions", they only mention restrictions of "shipping to" certain geographic areas, NOT residents. Here's what they say:

"PSA will not ship ANY items to the District of Columbia (Washington D.C.).

PSA will not ship ANY AR or AK Parts or Firearms (Including Receivers) to the City of Chicago, Illinois.

PSA will not ship ANY AR or AK Firearms (Including Receivers) to Aurora, Highland Park, or Cook County, Illinois."

I couldn't find anything that pertained to my possible purchase so I went ahead and bought the rifle. Well today I received this email from them:

"Hello,

Our company policy prohibits us from shipping AR/AK style firearms (regardless of caliber) to Cook County Residents. This includes Aurora and Highland Park. If the billing address on your order is a Cook County address, your order will be cancelled in 5 business days if not resolved beforehand.

If you are NOT a resident of Cook County, please contact us regarding how to continue with your order.

If you own a Federal Firearms License, your web order will still be cancelled but you can continue your purchase through our Dealer Sales program. Please contact our Dealer Sales Department at 803-724-6655 or email dealer.sales@palmettostatearmory.com for more detailed information. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT DEALER SALES UNLESS YOU ARE AN FFL HOLDER.

If you are a Law Enforcement Officer with the intent to use this weapon in the line of duty, please provide a copy of your credentials and a letter on department letterhead signed by your department's superior officer stating that the firearm will be used for duty purposes. PSA only recognizes City Police Officers, County Sheriff Deputies, and State Police (including Highway Patrol) as LEOs.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,
Compliance Department
Palmetto State Armory"

I wouldn't call the Kel-Tec sub2k an AR or AK style firearm. Nor does their "terms and conditions" page mention style or patterns of a specific rifle type. They also don't mention billing addresses on their website.

I sent PSA an email and haven't heard anything back, nor do I expect to. This last minute twisting of the words is a slap in the face. If they had stated their terms clearly on their website, I would've never ordered from them, wasted 30 minutes on hold, or typed out this forum post.

One of the funky aspects to this recent sale by PSA is that a buddy of mine who resides in Will county used a Cook county FFL. PSA shipped out his Kel-Tec sub2k today with no issues. So, they break their "terms and conditions" by shipping to a Cook county FFL, but won't ship to a DuPage-based FFL who will perform a LEGAL transfer to a Cook resident? Talk about messed up business practices.... I'm done with PSA. Their are so many other vendors to choose from who will actually appreciate my hard-earned dollars.

So they're restraining your right to carry?

I'm just assuming since it's in the "Illinois Right to Carry" forum.

But on a topic note, there are at least two of these threads about xyz online purveyor of cheaply had goods violating common sense norms on reading abilities and such.

It's a shame that when people open a business they aren't held accountable to following what ever rules and business practices the customers want!

They should lose their license to conduct a thriving business online for setting rules which only they want to follow!

I live in Cook and have ordered multiple AR uppers and parts and various firearms with no issue. I recently ordered a lower and upper at the same time and got the same letter. I emailed and never got a response. I had to call twice and finally spoke to someone. They canceled my lower order and I reordered with a credit card billed to a DuPage address and my FFL got my lower about a week later.

Moral of the story... order with a card that has a billing address outside of Cook.

If you can reach them, call their CS department otherwise shop somewhere else. PSA doesn't want our money and there's not much to be done about it. I don't even look at their site and unsubbed their emails. As someone else said there's a few long threads about them not shipping/selling to us on here.

The patchwork of laws and general confusion over them ruins the online experience with lots of dealers. Big Daddy Guns wouldn't ship my P10C magazines anywhere in the ENTIRE state of Illinois.

I can grab you a couple if you need them fast!

You'll pay a bit more but they're in stock!

Where you be hiding? Humm lol :-)

P.S. we don't have rules about selling stuff to Illinois residents.......

I don't have a CC with a billing address outside of Cook. At this point, why would I want to contribute to a company that doesn't want my money, is trying to tell me what I can and can't own (regardless of where it is kept), has horrible customer service, won't ship me ammo when it's perfectly legal, and changes/modifies their "terms and conditions" after a sale has been made? PSA can go get ed.

I found the rifle I had ordered through them for $5 more from another vendor. Only thing I have to do now is wait on hold for 45 mins and tell them to refund my money now and not wait 5 days.

The patchwork of laws and general confusion over them ruins the online experience with lots of dealers. Big Daddy Guns wouldn't ship my P10C magazines anywhere in the ENTIRE state of Illinois.

I can grab you a couple if you need them fast!

You'll pay a bit more but they're in stock!

Where you be hiding? Humm lol :-)

P.S. we don't have rules about selling stuff to Illinois residents.......

PM Me <_< I gotta see this.

A few loooong threads on this if you do a search. Short answer If you LIVE in Cook County? Find a different vendor. Doesn;t matter what FFL you opt to use, YOUR address is based on what's on your FOID or Driver's License.

They don't request FOID or DL info... they base your address on your bill to address.

I had the same issue with the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and I live in Buffalo Grove (which in in both Cook and Lake counties). I didn't matter to them that I am in Lake County in Buffalo Grove, I got the same letter. I spoke with them and they said to send a copy of my ID that proves I'm not in Cook. No ID I have show my county. What a bunch of BS!! I just copied my DL and sent it to them. I'm waiting to see what comes out of it. But if they don't ship to me (My FFL is in Lake county too). I'm am also done with PSA. Funny thing is a few years ago I ordered an AR upper and lower from them with no problems.

I had the same issue with the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and I live in Buffalo Grove (which in in both Cook and Lake counties). I didn't matter to them that I am in Lake County in Buffalo Grove, I got the same letter. I spoke with them and they said to send a copy of my ID that proves I'm not in Cook. No ID I have show my county. What a bunch of BS!! I just copied my DL and sent it to them. I'm waiting to see what comes out of it. But if they don't ship to me (My FFL is in Lake county too). I'm am also done with PSA. Funny thing is a few years ago I ordered an AR upper and lower from them with no problems.

I called today to cancel and amazingly got through within 3-5 minutes. They said I'd have my money back within 3-5 days. If it's not back in there by the 16th at noon then I'm filing a CC dispute. I told them their "terms and conditions" lingo was inaccurate and need to be fixed. They lady I spoke with could care less. I didn't bother to speak with a supervisor or specific (compliance) dept. Done with them for good, regardless if I happen to eventually move or not. I will not support gun vendors that create their own unnecessary red tape, making it more difficult for a lawful transaction to take place. No thanks.

It is seriously frustrating...especially considering the Cook AWB isn't really enforceable in most of the county. But, honestly, can we expect online vendors to know that? Or care? From their POV, change your laws...until then, we are willing to walk away from your business.

In this litigious society, would you? Let's say they ship the gun knowing you're a Cook resident...then that weapon is involved in a shooting in a place where the gun may or may not be legal. Would you want to deal with that mess? I can see why they wouldn't want to be either.

We need to change our laws...either at the ballot box or through judicial action. How many of you have sympathy for Californians and their gun laws? THEY are the ones who elect these gun-banning fools.

Archived