CCL eligibility

So , I could of easily tried to get my CCL when I was an alcoholic but I didnt because I knew it wasnt a good idea for several reasons. I went to rehab Sept. 2019 and have been sober since. Then I found out that Im ineligible for 5 years because I went to rehab. Ive been arrested once , 27 years ago, for a misdemeanor and thats the extent of my rap sheet. Am I a danger to society or considered mentally ill for 5 years because I knew I had a drinking problem and I did what needed to do to better myself. I just dont get it....

So , I could of easily tried to get my CCL when I was an alcoholic but I didnt because I knew it wasnt a good idea for several reasons. I went to rehab Sept. 2019 and have been sober since. Then I found out that Im ineligible for 5 years because I went to rehab. Ive been arrested once , 27 years ago, for a misdemeanor and thats the extent of my rap sheet. Am I a danger to society or considered mentally ill for 5 years because I knew I had a drinking problem and I did what needed to do to better myself. I just dont get it....

The definition of patient from the FOID law may not apply to you. See the line that I put in bold.

"Patient" means:

(1) a person who voluntarily receives mental health treatment as an in-patient or resident of any public or private mental health facility, unless the treatment was solely for an alcohol abuse disorder and no other secondary substance abuse disorder or mental illness;

(2) a person who voluntarily receives mental health treatment as an out-patient or is provided services by a public or private mental health facility, and who poses a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or to others ”.

The terms rehab and rehabilitation do not even appear in the law. The word addiction is only used in reference to narcotics.

If it’s alcohol only then it may be a moot issue.

No one here will be able to fully answer the question as to whether you can’t get a FOID.

At this time just apply for the FOID and let the process dictate.

If as stated above the alcohol isn’t an issue, then the FOID should be processed.

If there is an issue maybe it can be fixed with paper word submitted.

And as a last item, if they deny based upon the 5 year rule you can try to fight that or just wait it out.

But you won’t know for sure until you apply and get the ball rolling.

GoodLuck and Welcome to the Forums

You imply, but never state, that it was voluntary treatment. If it was court-ordered, you'll have to wait it out. If it was voluntary, you have a window of time to appeal a denial (if you're denied).

I appreciate all the feedback and the warm welcome . In response to a couple posts, rehab was totally voluntary and my issue is not with getting a FOID , it’s about getting a CCL . I’d hate to gamble and be denied and lose an appeal just to spend the money for nothing. It’s just very frustrating to feel like I’m being punished for doing something good.

I appreciate all the feedback and the warm welcome . In response to a couple posts, rehab was totally voluntary and my issue is not with getting a FOID , it’s about getting a CCL . I’d hate to gamble and be denied and lose an appeal just to spend the money for nothing. It’s just very frustrating to feel like I’m being punished for doing something good.

So you have a FOID Card then. Yes?

And it’s the CCL that’s worrying you?

If your FOID is valid and you haven’t received a notice stating to return it, maybe the CCL will be a non issue!

If you’ve been reading anything here you’ll already know this.....login to the ISP FSB web portal and type in your FOID card number to a firearm transfer. If it comes as approved, that’s a good thing.

IANAL and others know a load more but you may be worrying about nothing. But with that being said. Only you can make the decision to either apply for the CCL or not. And until you actually apply for it you will not know if it is or isn’t an issue.

If it is denied then there is a appeal process and possible waiting periods.

Only you know if you can or wish to spend the $150.00 to apply for the license.

Again, Good Luck

Sorry, I was the one who got it off the track when I mistakenly referred to the FOID.

It looks like it depends on whether you stayed overnight at a facility or just attended counselling sessions and went home at night. The overnight stay would make it residential.

I will try to cite the correct law.

“(5) has not been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the license application;”

I noticed in the CCL application the question about residential or court ordered treatment for alcohol is on the page that begins with

“Next, We’ll ask Criminal History Questions”. That seems a bit odd to me. I get the court ordered part but, I voluntarily went to what I assume was a “residential” treatment facility. I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if, in Illinois , that makes me a criminal. Any thoughts about the way that question is worded and where it is on the application.

I noticed in the CCL application the question about residential or court ordered treatment for alcohol is on the page that begins with

“Next, We’ll ask Criminal History Questions”. That seems a bit odd to me. I get the court ordered part but, I voluntarily went to what I assume was a “residential” treatment facility. I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if, in Illinois , that makes me a criminal. Any thoughts about the way that question is worded and where it is on the application.

Did you have to stay overnight in the facility? That is residential care.

If you went to a day or evening clinic inside a hospital, even though a hospital has beds and is residential, it was not functioning as a residential facility in that case.

Using outpatient services is not the same as being admitted to a hospital.

Before filling out the application, consider sending a PM, private message, to MollyB. She has helped clear up problems for many here.

So, Illinois penalizes law abiding citizens for doing something to better themselves, like voluntarily getting help for a drinking problem.

Tell us what you think residential means.

You do not have to tell us what type treatment that you had, if you do not want to.

Mainly, you have come here asking for help, ignored suggestions; then whined about your situation.

Until recently I’d never heard inpatient rehab referred to as residential treatment. So yes, i was residential treatment for alcohol and it was voluntary. I’m just trying to figure out why the beginning of this question “ (Have you been in a residential) or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years” is in the criminal history section of the ISP application. Yes I’ve been in residential treatment but that’s not criminal.

I am looking at a pdf of a PowerPoint presentation that I found online. It may not be the current version that you are working with.

Don’t get hung up on the term “criminal” history. The application also includes mental defective and treatment for mental illness in that section. I do not think that anyone considers them as crimes.

Forms are not always well designed. Once published, it can be a long time before they are revised.

The term “residential” seems to be a sticking point. It sounds like the facility required you to stay overnight. You might call one of the counsellors from there and verify that you were in residential treatment. I am a retired RN and am familiar with the terminology but did not work in alcohol rehab.

I did have detox patients who then went to rehab.

In the long run you probably made the best decision for your life and those around you when you chose to go to rehab. Maybe it has delayed your ability to carry. I hope that your pursuit in that area works out for the best. Most of all, I pray for your continued sobriety.

Dont get hung up on the term criminal history...

Forms are not always well designed. Once published, it can be a long time before they are revised

This x100.

Whether it be the web page or the form letters sent out, the ISP isn't known for their quality control and proofreading. Don't know if they have been corrected but many of the early letters were a typo and grammar mess.

• 5 weeks later...
There is something else that I find odd. I have a valid FOID so (in Illinois)the same day i successfully completed voluntary treatment for alcohol abuse I could of purchased as many guns as I wanted and thousands of rounds of ammo, but I’m ineligible for concealed carry for 5 years after the date treatment began. It’s nonsense.

I’m not looking for anyone to give me a detailed timeline of when I post or to tell me that I’m “whining about my situation”. I’m interested in other gun owners thoughts about the reasoning behind the situation or some thoughts on the last post about being able to purchase guns and ammo but not eligible for concealed carry.

Prior to the FCCL being passed those with a valid FOID could in fact buy as many guns as they wanted and thousands of rounds of ammo too! But during this time you were not allowed to conceal carry legally in Illinois.

Then came along the passage of the FCCL and it’s new and separate rules within a separate statute.

Now being Illinois was the monkey wrench still buried deep in this process. Due in part to the ability to have as many guns INSIDE your home with thousand of rounds of ammo INSIDE your house, this all achieved by having a valid FOID card. Valid card you get those privileges attached to the FOID!

Roll forward and the new and Approved process to not take all those guns and thousands of rounds of ammo OUTSIDE your home came into play. Along with these new rules are new ones which have nothing to do with having a FOID other than you need to “qualify” for the FOID in order to attempt to “qualify” for a CCL.

It’s a little known secret in Illinois but the powers that be still don’t want the peasants having guns and thousands of rounds of ammo outside their homes. This doesn’t allow them full power over the lesser classes.

Lastly buried deep in these threads right here are thousands of similar stories like yours.

Some have ideas on getting things done as it pertains to a CCL.

Some have good news and yet others have sad news.

We all here at IC wish you and everyone who stops by Good Luck in the journey to the CCL in Illinois.

P.S. Purple in color text is tongue in cheek, sarcasm etc. not meant to be taking for real.

Archived