Senate Amendment 1 to SB236

mauserme

Senate Amendment 1 was just filed on SB236 Safety Tech by Senator Morrison:

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Makes it unlawful to deliver, sell, or purchase or cause to be delivered, sold, or purchased or cause to be possessed by another, an assault weapon or assault weapon attachment. Makes it unlawful for any person to knowingly possess an assault weapon 300 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, except possession of weapons registered with the State Police in the time provided. Provides exemptions and penalties. Prohibits delivery, sale, purchase, or possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Provides exemptions and penalties. Prohibits the knowing sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a trigger modification device. Defines terms. Effective immediately.

The full text is not yet available.

Where can one find their exact definition of "assault weapon?" My understanding is that assault weapons are guns that are full auto which is already banned in the state, with SOT exceptions. If that is the case, this bill would be redundant. Shocking for the state I know.

Will probably be defined in the published bill. I expect it to mimic the language in other AWB filings i.e. specific named firearms, copies thereof, named cosmetic features, features/accessories of a minimum number, etc. pertaining primarily to semi-autos

Where can one find their exact definition of "assault weapon?" My understanding is that assault weapons are guns that are full auto which is already banned in the state, with SOT exceptions. If that is the case, this bill would be redundant. Shocking for the state I know.

HB4107 has defined what an assault weapon is. I don't like the term because we don't actually have assault weapons. Read the full text of that bill, I believe it starts on page 11.

NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation says:

•AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic — a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934."

From this link:

https://www.nssf.org/msr/

NSSF is our firearms industry trade association, so our industry experts. Their definitions carry weight. Politician's firearms definitions, don't.

Its always the NRAs fault over there it seems. At least they do tolerate some posting some pro comments...Thanks Todd!

..."well, its alwasy good to see those who know next to nothing about firerarms stick there head out of the rabbit hole.

There is no grandfather clause in the mag ban in the bill.

there is a ban on .50 cal ammo from what I read.

If your firearm has a bumfire stock, its illegal and no registration.

If you have an after market trigger in it its illegal, no registration.

If you change the trigger springs in a double barrel shotgun, its illegal

Its never enogh for the gun grabbing gun hating crowd.

Under this bill you could have a concealed carry license, a FOID card and have all the training in the world. but carry a Glock 17 with a spare mag, and you now are committing a felony they hold 15 rounds.

whats sad is when my 17 year old knows more about guns than Marty the alleged policy maker does. Course hes use to talking out of both sides of his mouth

Comment by Todd Thursday,"...

I'm holding off contacting Senators on SA1 until it's scheduled to committee then filing witness slips and sending emails/calls. THEN holding off from contacting all 59 Senators until it passes committee, should it. The reason is, I assume some anti-gun Senators may not know about the bill and if they did because I brought it to their attention, they would jump on it. So I don't give them the heads up. It may only be a couple, but I would rather have those couple not looking at the bill than co-sponsoring it.

In my experience lawmakers may not know every single thing their colleagues are doing.

Make sense?

I'm holding off contacting Senators on SA1 until it's scheduled to committee then filing witness slips and sending emails/calls. THEN holding off from contacting all 59 Senators until it passes committee, should it. The reason is, I assume some anti-gun Senators may not know about the bill and if they did because I brought it to their attention, they would jump on it. So I don't give them the heads up. It may only be a couple, but I would rather have those couple not looking at the bill than co-sponsoring it.

In my experience lawmakers may not know every single thing their colleagues are doing.

Make sense?

It doesn't make sense in this case.

It's a floor amendment on a bill that's already at 3rd reading in the Senate. The amendment can come out of Assignments and see final action almost without notice, and potentially without the hearing you'd normally expect. Because of that I currently consider SB236 a greater threat in some ways than the three House bills. Things may change in the coming days but we are taking it very seriously right now.

Text of SFA1 is now posted to ILGA. As expected:

Sec. 24-1.9. Possession, delivery, sale, and purchase of

4 assault weapons.

5 (a) Definitions. As used in this Section:

6 (1) "Antique firearm" has the meaning ascribed to it in

7 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(16).

8 (2) "Assault weapon" means:

9 (A) a semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to

10 accept a large capacity magazine detachable or

11 otherwise and one or more of the following:

12 (i) only a pistol grip without a stock

13 attached;

14 (ii) any feature capable of functioning as a

15 protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger

16 hand;

17 (iii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole

18 stock;

19 (iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that

20 partially or completely encircles the barrel,

21 allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the

22 non-trigger hand without being burned, but

23 excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or

24 (v) a muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

25 (B) a semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic

10000SB0236sam001 - 14 - LRB100 05156 RLC 30131 a

1 rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity

2 to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

3 © a semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to

4 accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the

5 following:

6 (i) any feature capable of functioning as a

7 protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger

8 hand;

9 (ii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole

10 stock;

11 (iii) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that

12 partially or completely encircles the barrel,

13 allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the

14 non-trigger hand without being burned, but

15 excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

16 (iv) a muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or

17 (v) the capacity to accept a detachable

18 magazine at some location outside of the pistol

19 grip;

20 (D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of

21 the following:

22 (i) only a pistol grip without a stock

23 attached;

24 (ii) any feature capable of functioning as a

25 protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger

26 hand;

10000SB0236sam001 - 15 - LRB100 05156 RLC 30131 a

1 (iii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole

2 stock;

3 (iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5

4 rounds; or

5 (v) an ability to accept a detachable

6 magazine;

7 (E) any shotgun with a revolving cylinder;

8 (F) a conversion kit, part or combination of parts,

9 from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those

10 parts are in the possession or under the control of the

11 same person;

12 (G) shall include, but not be limited to, the

13 assault weapons models identified as follows:

14 (i) the following rifles or copies or

15 duplicates of those rifles:

16 (I) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM,

17 MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93,

18 VEPR;

19 (II) AR-10;

20 (III) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite

21 Ml5, or Olympic Arms PCR;

22 (IV) AR70;

23 (V) Calico Liberty;

24 (VI) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov

25 SVU;

26 (VII) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or

10000SB0236sam001 - 16 - LRB100 05156 RLC 30131 a

1 FNC;

2 (VIII) Hi-Point Carbine;

3 (IX) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

4 (X) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

5 (XI) Saiga;

6 (XII) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

7 (XIII) SKS with detachable magazine;

8 (XIV) SLG 95;

9 (XV) SLR 95 or 96;

10 (XVI) Steyr AUG;

11 (XVII) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

12 (XVIII) Tavor;

13 (XIX) Thompson 1927, Thompson Ml, or

14 Thompson 1927 Commando; or

15 (XX) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil

16 Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

17 (ii) the following pistols or copies or

18 duplicates of those pistols:

19 (I) Calico M-110;

20 (II) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

21 (III) Olympic Arms OA;

22 (IV) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or

23 AB-10; or

24 (V) Uzi.

25 (iii) The following shotguns or copies or

26 duplicates of those shotguns:

10000SB0236sam001 - 17 - LRB100 05156 RLC 30131 a

1 (I) Armscor 30 BG;

2 (II) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

3 (III) Striker 12; or

4 (IV) Streetsweeper.

5 "Assault weapon" does not include any firearm that has

6 been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the

7 definition of antique firearm, or weapons designed for

8 Olympic target shooting events.

9 (3) "Assault weapon attachment" means any device

10 capable of being attached to a firearm that is specifically

11 designed for making or converting a firearm into any of the

12 firearms listed in paragraph (2) of this subsection (a).

13 (4) "Detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding

14 device, the function of which is to deliver one or more

15 ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be

16 removed from the firearm without the use of any tool,

17 including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

18 (5) "Locking mechanism" means secured by a device or

19 mechanism, other than the firearm safety, designed to

20 render a firearm temporarily inoperable; or a box or

21 container capable of containing the firearm and that can be

22 securely locked.

23 (6) "Muzzle brake" means a device attached to the

24 muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to reduce

25 recoil.

26 (7) "Muzzle compensator" means a device attached to the

10000SB0236sam001 - 18 - LRB100 05156 RLC 30131 a

1 muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to control

2 muzzle movement.

Make sense?

Considering how anti-gun Sen. Pres. Cullerton is, he has undoubtedly let those others of his kind know this already.

That's the definition of the military and the ATF. They are using Bloomberg's definition and backing to shove this down our throats just like with the soda tax.

This is America and people are innocent until proven guilty and there is no collective punishment as they are trying to do. People are not punished for the actions of criminals and Bloomberg is not king to impose laws on us. How can they pass these laws when they swore to support and defend the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic? If they pass this law they will show whith their actions that they are the domestic enemies of the US Constitution. They're trying to turn into criminals 2 million innocent people who have FOID in this state and have committed no crimes.

That's the definition of the military and the ATF. They are using Bloomberg's definition and backing to shove this down our throats just like with the soda tax.

and the definition of NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) our firearms industry experts.

https://www.nssf.org/msr/

Archived