New law driving Illinois Cerakote business out of state

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SycamoreRuger

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

I contacted this guy here in DeKalb County about a Cerakote job on my P365 and he said he was swamped because he was getting ready to move to Michigan due to the new FFL law. I may have contacted our local newspaper about the situation.

"It's hard to be a small business owner in Illinois," Haas said. "You start thinking about what's going to happen and how fragile everything is that you're building on and how it can be taken away or leveled all at one time at no fault of your own."

https://www.daily-ch...state/ams4gbg/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> https://www.daily-chronicle.com/2019/06/07/new-illinois-regulations-driving-waterman-gun-shop-out-of-state/ams4gbg/

#2 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• 3,330 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Illifornia DumboRats: the best thing that ever happened to Indiana and Wisconsin!

#3 InterestedBystander

• 6,396 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

Fixed link

https://www.daily-ch...-state/ams4gbg/
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#4 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,861 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:14 PM

Yep. That's more evidence to support what I wrote here.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#5 blck10th

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Yep. I’m friends with the owner. Great guy sad to see him leave but it’s best for him and his family. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:46 PM

Do you need an FFL to do Cerakoting?

#7 soundguy

• 6,126 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

FFL is not required to Cerakote patio furniture...

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#8 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

assuming he is just cya with foids and transfers and handling and stupid Illinois laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#9 RacerDave6

• 3,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

If your going to send and receive firearms then yes.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#10 mjw45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

I have wondered about how the state would handle gunsmithing only. You still need an FFL 01, but would not be engaged in the business of selling or transferring firearms, therefore not subject to the Illinois gun dealer non sense. That is if I remember the wording of the gun dealer licensing act correctly. Good luck trying to convince the state that you have an FFL 01, but don’t sell firearms. And yes you need an FFL 01 to cerakote firearms for other people as it is considered gunsmithing. Heck the ATF tried to classify painting firearms as manufacturing a while back if I remember correctly. Then tried to reclassify almost all typical gunsmithing operations as manufacturing also. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Wehland
Allguntraining.com NRA Firearms Instruction
Kankakee and Will County

#11 mjw45

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:48 PM

Interestingly gunsmithing record keeping falls into a weird space. If you return the gun quickly enough (can’t remember the timeframe) you don’t even have to log it in. And you can return it to someone other than the owner. At least as of a few years ago. But if you consign a gun, it is no longer yours and you have to fill out a 4473 and follow local laws (wait times) to retrieve it. Was a real hassle when an Indiana resident decided he wanted his handgun back from consignment. Had to transfer it to an Indiana FFL to transfer it back to him. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Wehland
Kankakee and Will County

#12 DomG

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

I have wondered about how the state would handle gunsmithing only.
You still need an FFL 01, but would not be engaged in the business of selling or transferring firearms, therefore not subject to the Illinois gun dealer non sense.
That is if I remember the wording of the gun dealer licensing act correctly.

Good luck trying to convince the state that you have an FFL 01, but don’t sell firearms.

Just picked my gun from my gunsmith about 10 days ago after having Apex triggers put in. He currently does transfers but said that he is giving it up to avoid the Illinois BS. Still needs to be an FFL as a gunsmith, but he will not be subject to the harassment.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member
ISRA
GOA

#13 mjw45

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

Just picked my gun from my gunsmith about 10 days ago after having Apex triggers put in. He currently does transfers but said that he is giving it up to avoid the Illinois BS. Still needs to be an FFL as a gunsmith, but he will not be subject to the harassment.

I hope that is the case.
But it might take some good explaining to convince the state of this.

Matt Wehland
Kankakee and Will County

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users