NRA Supports Challenge to Illinois’s FOID Act

How do other states keep ineligible people from buying guns (person to person) if they don't have something like a FOID card?

Uncle Ralph, who lived in Ft Wayne, IN, bought a few nice guns at garage sales over the years.

You just show up early, make a deal, pay with cash and take it home... or load it and stash it under the front seat for later.

I really like that no waiting period thing in states like Indiana.

Perhaps in our Illinois future there could be a compromise:

NO FOID = minimum 3 day waiting period for NICS to clear.

FOID/CCL = no waiting period.

Only Illinois has a FOID... NJ has something similar (FID?) but I don't know how similar it is.

Another stupid thought... how about a Federal FOID that lets you buy anywhere with no waiting period as long as the FOID check by phone is approved? Sort of like TSA PreCheck where you get access to the shorter, faster line.

Shopping while traveling would be so much more fun and expensive.

I'm not interested in any FOID. My drivers license works fine in Indiana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed, it's gone from the NRA site. The Wayback Machine got a copy of it, though.

NRA Supports Guns Save Life's Challenge to Illinois’s FOID Act

Do you think that means they no longer support this action? Could that be because of the problems that surfaced at the annual meetings?

I wonder if it's because no one can find a reference to such a lawsuit. Do we really know it actually exists?

Indeed, it's gone from the NRA site. The Wayback Machine got a copy of it, though.NRA Supports Guns Save Life's Challenge to Illinois’s FOID Act

Do you think that means they no longer support this action? Could that be because of the problems that surfaced at the annual meetings?
I wonder if it's because no one can find a reference to such a lawsuit. Do we really know it actually exists?
GSL still has an article up about the lawsuit, but no additional detail. *dunno whats going on*

My guess is the NRA jumped on the coattails of the GSL lawsuit, and overstepped their politeness and rank in making the announcement they did.

I believe this has happpened before when the NRA has joined a lawsuit and started to make premature and out of order press announcements in regards to a lawsuit?

Quotes from above:

1. Indeed, it's gone from the NRA site. The Wayback Machine got a copy of it, though.NRA Supports Guns Save Life's Challenge to Illinois’s FOID Act
2. Do you think that means they no longer support this action? Could that be because of the problems that surfaced at the annual meetings?
3. I wonder if it's because no one can find a reference to such a lawsuit. Do we really know it actually exists?
4. GSL still has an article up about the lawsuit, but no additional detail. *dunno whats going on*

----------------------------------------------------------

Now it's gone from the GSL site. Nothing to see.

That's weird.

At the heart of it is a man who got swatted because Illinois said that his 2nd Amendment Rights Expired.
The suit would have been very good.

Todd V may not be visiting this site anymore? I think he was being heavily censored here. It seems to be a growing thing with IllinoisCarry.

Yeah, I know about that situation, but there are alternative ways to contact him if someone really desires to inquire. Or maybe he will pop back in, who knows?

Question that was posed here but never answered is critical. What was the warrant for? Expired Foid is not a crime. What may have been discovered after the execution of the warrant would be fruit of the poison tree it would seem. Details of that warrant may hold either a key or the key to this case.

Question that was posed here but never answered is critical. What was the warrant for? Expired Foid is not a crime. What may have been discovered after the execution of the warrant would be fruit of the poison tree it would seem. Details of that warrant may hold either a key or the key to this case.

Obvoiusly we need to know this, but I can see situations that would produce a valid warrant, say for example this elderly man called for the paramedics, police show up to assist and firearm is seen, they ask or discover FOID it's expired, police show up a few days later with warrant to confiscate. I'm not saying that is what happened but it's a scenerio that I can almost bet has happened.

As for the case, maybe this lawsuit filing has been put on hold for now, due to the other FOID case that is pending?

The reason for law enforcement showing up at his door was an expired FOID card. Local law enforcement received a notification from ISP the card had expired.

Officers asked if there was anyone who could keep his property for him until he could get his FOID renewed, a good friend stepped up and is holding on to the gentleman's property and also helped him go online and submit renewal application.

My guess is maybe the announcement was made before the case could be officially filed in court. Maybe we'll see more action on this in due time?

Todd V may not be visiting this site anymore? I think he was being heavily censored here. It seems to be a growing thing with IllinoisCarry.

I don't recall any censorship of Mr Vandermyde here. He does pop in from time to time, but less often than when he worked for the NRA.

Molly pointed out, in a post that was deleted along with many others, that his posts are moderated here. There were reasons given.

It's baaaaaaaaaahhhhck!

(today?)

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190515/nra-supports-guns-save-lifes-challenge-to-illinois-s-foid-act

Fairfax, Va. - The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) today announced its support for a lawsuit challenging Illinois’s Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) Act. The lawsuit was brought by Guns Save Life, an organization dedicated to defending the Second Amendment rights of Illinois residents.

“The Illinois FOID Act infringes on law-abiding citizens’ fundamental right to self-protection,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA.

The FOID Act requires individuals to pass an extended background check, provide a photo, and pay a fee before being granted government permission to possess a firearm in their own home. Illinois gun owners must pay a fee and renew their FOID cards every 10 years. If the cards are stolen, the gun owner is forced to jump through additional hoops and burdened with more fees to exercise their constitutional right to self-protection.

The case of one Guns Save Life member, mentioned in organization’s complaint, shows how drastically the FOID Act infringes on that right. In compliance with the Act, the member recently sought to renew his FOID card. But the police denied his application and revoked his card, claiming to have suddenly found a battery conviction in his record. He has no such conviction, and the courts have no record of one. Nevertheless, because he no longer had a FOID card, he was forced to disarm.

The 5/2 story was pulled. Supposedly due to incorrect information.

The newest suit has an additional person denied due to a conviction but the state cant produce a record of it. "The records may have been destroyed"

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019CH000180-Complaint.pdf

The 5/2 story was pulled. Supposedly due to incorrect information.

The newest suit has an additional person denied due to a conviction but the state cant produce a record of it. "The records may have been destroyed"https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019CH000180-Complaint.pdf

Yes, this is a different plaintiff. The NRA got a little ahead of themselves and announced before things were all signed, sealed, and delivered but looks on track to be a good case now.

I like the written complaint, but my eyebrow went up when I learned that the FOID cards frequently wear out.

I've seen many worn out cards. Unreadable and held together with tape.

My current one is still in one piece, but the one it replaced was held together with packing tape, it had cracked into several pieces over it's lifetime and I just kept taping it back together.

If one is following the law and keeping it on their person when taking showers and such as outlined in the complaint it's bound to wear out quite fast.

Archived