Man savagely beaten in Baltimore

ChiShooter

Obviously a hate crime. No reason for that kind of activity. From a race of people that always talk about respect, respect is earned not given. Hard to respect people when they treat others so badly.

It isn't a hate crime. Just a crime. There is no such thing as a hate crime.

First, 'Hate' in this context is an adverb. It modifies the noun, 'crime'. Of course it is not a crime, it describes 'why' and 'how' the crime happened.

Second, 'Hate Crime' laws are indeed problematic as they border on 'thought crime'. However, they were useful in the 'Mississippi Burning' days when local law enforcement and judiciary were either passively or actively involved in some very extreme violations of civil rights, up to and including murder.

Perhaps there could have been a better way for the Federal Government to protect the civil rights of the powerless in those situations.

It is my opinion that Federal Hate Crime laws should not come into play if the local and State laws are serving their purpose.

Obviously a hate crime. No reason for that kind of activity. From a race of people that always talk about respect, respect is earned not given. Hard to respect people when they treat others so badly.

It isn't a hate crime. Just a crime. There is no such thing as a hate crime.

First, 'Hate' in this context is an adverb. It modifies the noun, 'crime'. Of course it is not a crime, it describes 'why' and 'how' the crime happened.

Second, 'Hate Crime' laws are indeed problematic as they border on 'thought crime'. However, they were useful in the 'Mississippi Burning' days when local law enforcement and judiciary were either passively or actively involved in some very extreme violations of civil rights, up to and including murder.

Perhaps there could have been a better way for the Federal Government to protect the civil rights of the powerless in those situations.

It is my opinion that Federal Hate Crime laws should not come into play if the local and State laws are serving their purpose.

Oh, I get it. I just don't believe the reason someone is targeted for a crime really has any bearing on the crime itself.

Also, I don't believe this was a racially motivated crime. Could have been, but I can't make that determination from the video I watched. Just looked like a bunch of idiots shaking down a drunken tourist.

Archived