CCL Holder Accidentally Shoots Self - Morton Grove

kwc

See report here:

https://patch.com/illinois/niles/concealed-carry-permit-holder-accidentally-shoots-self-blotter

ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING

A concealed carry permit holder reported on Sept. 25 that he had accidentally fired his gun and shot himself in the hand while inside his vehicle in a parking lot in the 6700 block of Dempster Street. Police confirmed he was in legal possession of the gun.

I wouldnt be surprised if he was disarming in the car before entering a posted (CPZ) business.

I dunno, if you cannot manage to handle a loaded gun in a way to not shoot yourself, maybe you get some more training.

He may have been disarming, but what was his finger doing on the trigger? That is one possible reason the gun was fired. Another could be that he was removing the weapon in a way that had something else able to activate the trigger. I make sure that since disarming to go into certain places is required that I have a safe way to do so. For example I remove the gun while it is in the holster. That way the trigger is never exposed and the risk to an accidental discharge is basically zero!

I wouldnt be surprised if he was disarming in the car before entering a posted (CPZ) business.

Agreed. Forcing people to handle loaded guns in public is a very dangerous policy choice. Anti's know this and frankly like the accidents.

This.

I dunno, if you cannot manage to handle a loaded gun in a way to not shoot yourself, maybe you get some more training.

He may have been disarming, but what was his finger doing on the trigger? That is one possible reason the gun was fired. Another could be that he was removing the weapon in a way that had something else able to activate the trigger. I make sure that since disarming to go into certain places is required that I have a safe way to do so. For example I remove the gun while it is in the holster. That way the trigger is never exposed and the risk to an accidental discharge is basically zero!

Perhaps the holster that he was removing the firearm from to disarm before going into the Criminal Murder Facilitation Zone was not one that he could remove easily, and so had to take the firearm out of it and expose the trigger. If it is a non-modified Glock or other firearm (including a revolver) with no external safety, something such as his shirt or a protrusion in the seat area could have caught the trigger and caused the firearm to go off.

The problem here is not that he took the firearm out and the trigger was accidentally pulled, it was that he was FORCED by a stupid law to engage in behavior that makes it vastly more likely (i.e., infinitely more likely than if he could have left his firearm on and concealed) that the trigger could be exposed and accidentally pulled.

I would think it happened while he was re-holstering. I use to carry in waistband with a leather holster (TCP 380) and it was such a pain to re-holster. The muzzle would go in, but the leather would collapse at the trigger guard. Taking the holster off was not an option (fat guy and the clip had a rounded bottom edge making it very dfficult to get off). I stopped using that holster because of it.

Now? I put put the pistol in a lock box and when i come to the car i stand in the open door and reholster. If someone sees it? To bad. I am in an around the vehicle. For me, its the only safe way to to do it.

Try training to flip the safety as a part of a draw so you can keep the safety on. I trained myself that way because I sometimes carry a 1911. I find myself actually flipping a non existent safety when using other firearms. No biggie.

I think this is a better idea since you might one day forget. I take my gun and holster off as one. Holsters are cheap and you should find one that works for your situation. I’m also a kind of fat guy and can do it while sitting in the car. Sounds like this guy was messing with his gun and had his finger on the trigger. I see new people do it all the time. They grab a gun and their finger automatically goes to the trigger. Thank god it has always been an unloaded gun at the gun shop.

Try training to flip the safety as a part of a draw so you can keep the safety on. I trained myself that way because I sometimes carry a 1911. I find myself actually flipping a non existent safety when using other firearms. No biggie.

I think this is a better idea since you might one day forget. I take my gun and holster off as one. Holsters are cheap and you should find one that works for your situation. I’m also a kind of fat guy and can do it while sitting in the car. Sounds like this guy was messing with his gun and had his finger on the trigger. I see new people do it all the time. They grab a gun and their finger automatically goes to the trigger. Thank god it has always been an unloaded gun at the gun shop.

As long as he wasn't saying "pew pew pew" while he did.;

Completely agree. Even when I carry the 1911, I use a holster that I can remove with the pistol in it if necessary. I was just making the point there is no reason to not use a safety if it is there and to mess with it while disarming, especially in tight quarters, is inviting problems.

Agreed. Forcing people to handle loaded guns in public is a very dangerous policy choice. Anti's know this and frankly like the accidents.

Only if you’re incompetent.

You're right...and so are they. Yes, more training and familiarity, and instilling the right mindset are crucial to avoiding NDs, and is using a rig that comes off of the belt as one unit. But even so, the risk of an ND goes up nearly infinitely when the pistol is being handled, and the pistol is at its safest when left untouched. Laws that require people to disarm for "safety" are by definition stupid. Perhaps they are written with a lack of understanding of firearm safety. Perhaps they are written in the cynical hope of causing accidents (NDs) to fuel further restrictions. But there is no intelligent argument that compelling people to handle loaded firearms is safer than allowing those firearms to remain safely on the licensee's hip. Period.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would think it happened while he was re-holstering. I use to carry in waistband with a leather holster (TCP 380) and it was such a pain to re-holster. The muzzle would go in, but the leather would collapse at the trigger guard. Taking the holster off was not an option (fat guy and the clip had a rounded bottom edge making it very dfficult to get off). I stopped using that holster because of it.

Now? I put put the pistol in a lock box and when i come to the car i stand in the open door and reholster. If someone sees it? To bad. I am in an around the vehicle. For me, its the only safe way to to do it.

If he shot himself in the thigh, I'd agree with you. But he shot himself in the hand. Sounds like unholstering to store to me.

Some safeties are taken off with an upward strike, some with a downward. If someone has both, how do they incorporate this mindset?

I've said here before, if a holster maker wanted to make a mint, they would make a kydex holster in a holster. Your gun goes into a holster, which then slips into a 'sleeve' holster, which snaps into place - like a retention holster. Then you can draw without worrying about the holster coming out with the gun. To unholster for safe keeping, maybe you press a button with your index finger - maybe on the holster on top of the slide, then pull out the gun with the safety sleeve on it. Place in in your box, then to reholster, just slip your holstered gun back into the sleeve till it snaps.

Or something like that. :)

I've said here before, if a holster maker wanted to make a mint, they would make a kydex holster in a holster. Your gun goes into a holster, which then slips into a 'sleeve' holster, which snaps into place - like a retention holster. Then you can draw without worrying about the holster coming out with the gun. To unholster for safe keeping, maybe you press a button with your index finger - maybe on the holster on top of the slide, then pull out the gun with the safety sleeve on it. Place in in your box, then to reholster, just slip your holstered gun back into the sleeve till it snaps.

This is a great idea. It could be made so that the kydex shell snaps onto a belt clip that stays in place.

Either way...I switched from a 1911 with a hair trigger to a Glock. I will not modify the trigger for a lighter pull and don't recommend anyone do so for a daily carry weapon.

Some safeties are taken off with an upward strike, some with a downward. If someone has both, how do they incorporate this mindset?

Practice, awareness, mindfulness.

Carrying guns that operate the same would be smart.

Why ever be confused?

The safety release of my Hi Power, equipped with SFS (Hammer Down Cocked & Locked), sometimes catches on my holster when inserting the gun. Before I am finished re-holstering, I always make sure the hammer is down (safe position) by pressing it down. It's part of the routine and I will not forget.

Re-holstering my Sig P938 or CZ Compact cocked and locked is a different routine. I prefer the Hi Power to either of them.

Should I ever venture to the 1911 realm, an SFS kit would be the first thing I would add.

If you carry different guns, it may be wise if your EDC summer, winter and Sunday BBQ guns all operate the same way.

I've envisioned something very similar actually. Basically a thin kydex pocket carry holster, that would snap into a slightly larger hybrid holster.

Practice, awareness, mindfulness.

Carrying guns that operate the same would be smart.

Why ever be confused?

The safety release of my Hi Power, equipped with SFS (Hammer Down Cocked & Locked), sometimes catches on my holster when inserting the gun. Before I am finished re-holstering, I always make sure the hammer is down (safe position) by pressing it down. It's part of the routine and I will not forget.

Re-holstering my Sig P938 or CZ Compact cocked and locked is a different routine. I prefer the Hi Power to either of them.

Should I ever venture to the 1911 realm, an SFS kit would be the first thing I would add.

If you carry different guns, it may be wise if your EDC summer, winter and Sunday BBQ guns all operate the same way.

You apparently didn't notice that I was responding directly to someone who advised getting in the habit of always taking the safety on the draw stroke, even when carrying a gun with no safety. The inherant assumption there is that thumb safeties are thumb all the same or similar. I am challenging that line of thought.

I appreciate your insight, but I was not asking a question to which I did not already know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good reason to consider a good pocket holster. I take the gun out, holster and all, and never have to expose the trigger to accidentally engaging it. The only time the gun would leave my pocket without the holster is if I am drawing the weapon with the intention of firing it. Being a bit thicker around the midsection that I should be, IWB holsters are universally uncomfortable for me. Sometimes I use an OWB holster, and if I had to remove it before entry into a prohibited location I just undo my belt and slide the holster and gun off the belt for storage in my car. But most of the time I pocket carry and never have come even close to being in a position where an accidental firing was possible.

Archived