Why do kids keep bringing firearms to school?

cjurczak

http://www.clintonherald.com/ilnews/x493463542/13-year-old-accused-of-bringing-gun-to-school

Gist of the story:

13 year old 8th grader brings stolen gun to school.

Teacher sees suspicious activity around boys locker, investigates with administrator

Finds loaded gun, boy arrested for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

I am a relatively new parent, my daughter is only 19 months old. These stories are happening too often, and it's getting under my skin. Even though there wasn't a shooting, why are our schools playing ignorant to keeping their students safe. To me this is negligence.

What steps are Illinois schools taking to prevent illegal possession of firearms? (Zero Tolerance policies, No Guns signs, Firearm laws are not getting the job done)

Why aren't all the students who witnessed the crime (saw the gun) and didn't report it to faculty/staff being discipled/arrested?

Under what circumstances can this 8th grader be trusted to enter a school building again?

Sorry to vent, but I fear for children/faculty/staff/parents who are at the will of others to protect them/their children and take such passive role.

I am not that old, only 36. When I was in high school my history teacher whom I respected told me he used to bring his 22 rifle to elementary/grammar school and keep it in his locker and hunt for rabbit on the way home. I am sure there are numerous people here who can corroborate such stories. Gun Safety used to be taught in schools. Firearms were not taboo, they were respected, and kids were instructed on their safe use and handling.

Classmate of mine got on the school bus at his house with a cased/unloaded .22, took it to school, stored in the closet for the day, got on another bus with a friend going to his house to squirrel hunt after school.

Bus driver checked to make sure it was unloaded before they left the house, other than that no problems.

I am not that old, only 36. When I was in high school my history teacher whom I respected told me he used to bring his 22 rifle to elementary/grammar school and keep it in his locker and hunt for rabbit on the way home. I am sure there are numerous people here who can corroborate such stories. Gun Safety used to be taught in schools. Firearms were not taboo, they were respected, and kids were instructed on their safe use and handling.

^^^^^^ This.

It is very simple:

You tell I kid not to touch.... They touch.

You tell a kid don't do something.... They do it.

Until we teach them the proper safety rules and to respect firearms, they will continue to learn about them from unrealistic sources (Hollywood, Video Games, etc...)

Firearm instruction used to be a staple of most every kids childhood..... Such times are what raised one of the greatest generations of America.... Sadly, society allowed itself to go "soft" and now we are left with the "progressive" culture that we have.

Many schools have a zero tolerance that even includes pictures or as in one case, a pizza bitten into the shape of a gun.

The student is either suspended or expelled. I don't think these picture extremes are perfect, but it is a start to force parents to get involved.

Schools are not baby sitters. Parent involvement is critical. A parent cannot control everything, but letting your child know that you know their teachers and talk to them regularly really does make a difference.

As someone else said on this forum, exposing your child to your firearms also helps. This way you take away that wow "candy" factor.

Well the last time I took a gun to school it was because i tagged out early Friday morning, the first time I took a gun to school was in 2nd grade back in the 80s and that was because my teacher asked those of us who had guns in the home to bring them in for our thanksgiving play.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

^^^^^^ This.

It is very simple:

Until we teach them the proper safety rules and to respect firearms, they will continue to learn about them from unrealistic sources (Hollywood, Video Games, etc...)

Firearm instruction used to be a staple of most every kids childhood..... Such times are what raised one of the greatest generations of America.... Sadly, society allowed itself to go "soft" and now we are left with the "progressive" culture that we have.

We aren't going to get back to those times in my lifetime, likely not my daughters lifetime. I can't see myself trusting my daughters classmates to have guns. That's not to say that parents/teachers/faculity/staff shouldn't be allowed to carry in a school. It seems obvious that zero tolerance, suspension, no guns signs, laws, or arrest are not keeping guns out of schools.

One of my girls just started kindergarten this year.... I am already butting heads with the teacher about the work (Common Core).... Especially the math.

....I can't wait for the discussions I will have once my girls get in trouble for talking guns at school. I am already teaching them the fundamentals using airsoft (since 22lr is so hard to find) and they are having a blast with learning.

I never brought a gun to school, but I can't tell you how many times I had a pellet rifle bungie corded to the handle bars of my bike while cruising through town on the way to a plinking session. No one batted an eye. This was in the mid to late '80s, and not in a rural area.

Times, they are a changin', and I'm starting to feel old.

Get off my lawn!

Excellent comment. I am one of those who can relay similar stories.

With all due respect to the OP, it's my feeling that your perspective (Why aren't all the students who witnessed the crime (saw the gun) and didn't report it to faculty/staff being discipled/arrested? Under what circumstances can this 8th grader be trusted to enter a school building again?) is one of over-reaction. It's the reaction that's become the standard status-quo that continues to in part drive the madness that is known as zero-tolerance, abstinence, and demonization of all who won't agree with that approach.

I think rather than going code-red and lockdown, a much more productive approach would be to teach reasonableness, responsibility, and safety. The approach should be pro-active. It's been tried in places but is usually criticized as too progressive, or too retrogressive, depending on your persuasion.

People care too much about right here and right now instead of what will happen in five years. Heck, where do you see yourself in five years is such a dreaded interview questions. How many parents worry about their Facebook or Twitter feeds more than retirement or investments? These habits are quickly passed on and we're in for a I'm bigger and better than you were 5 minutes ago.

Excellent comment. I am one of those who can relay similar stories.

With all due respect to the OP, it's my feeling that your perspective (Why aren't all the students who witnessed the crime (saw the gun) and didn't report it to faculty/staff being discipled/arrested? Under what circumstances can this 8th grader be trusted to enter a school building again?) is one of over-reaction. It's the reaction that's become the standard status-quo that continues to in part drive the madness that is known as zero-tolerance, abstinence, and demonization of all who won't agree with that approach.

I think rather than going code-red and lockdown, a much more productive approach would be to teach reasonableness, responsibility, and safety. The approach should be pro-active. It's been tried in places but is usually criticized as too progressive, or too retrogressive, depending on your persuasion.

I agree I am getting a little too worked up...but the passive measures of our schools are not going to keep our children safe...I am 31 and grew up in school not learning gun safety, but if you see a gun don't touch it and go tell someone...If teaching gun safety was practical or even became common place we are still going to have a generation of transistion...Reminiscing off good times past is a lesson learned, but I still fear for the school violence of today and tomorrow...and next year and the year after...

^^^^^^ This.

It is very simple:

^^^This!

Whenever I wanted to do something, bleach my hair, ear piercing, tattoo, etc. I'd ask my mom. She said, "Yes." Guess what never happened.

Many schools have a zero tolerance that even includes pictures or as in one case, a pizza bitten into the shape of a gun.

The student is either suspended or expelled. I don't think these picture extremes are perfect, but it is a start to force parents to get involved.

Schools are not baby sitters. Parent involvement is critical. A parent cannot control everything, but letting your child know that you know their teachers and talk to them regularly really does make a difference.

As someone else said on this forum, exposing your child to your firearms also helps. This way you take away that wow "candy" factor.

I have a 3 year old that goes to a school/daycare daily. Whenever I find out about something is usually through a 3rd party. We are friends with some of the parents my son is friends with. I then ask the teachers why they didn't report that to me. The typical response is, "Most parents don't want to have anything to do with that. We assumed you were just like them."

Sadly, they had a point about most of the other kids parents. My wife and I take time to participate in story telling, chaperone field trips, and attend parent-teacher conferences. We hear that we're the minority.

I just found out my kid likes to play on the computer, and there are games he really enjoys on the computer. This was noticed because I observe his play before walking into his class to pick him up. I asked the teachers how long he's known how to play on the computer. They said, "months." I asked why they didn't say anything sooner. I got blank stares. It really frustrates me.

Parenting isn't getting any better. I'm not worried about the behavior of my kids or your kids whose parents hang out here at Illinois Carry. Any parents out there that wouldn't be want schools to take safety more seriously if a student at their child's school was found with a gun?

An anti-gun co-worker says we need fewer people with guns not more. But when posed with the question of an active shooter in his sons school, he wants someone there to shoot back.

^^^^^^ This.

It is very simple:

So much truth. I fear that each time there is an incident in a school, the taboo meter is dialed up a little more. Then the likelihood of another significant incident goes up that much more. A little familiarization could go a long, long way to minimize the frequency of such occurences.

Speaking as someone with one kid in college, one in high school, a wife that substitute teaches, and personally have served on a school board........

First, many kids today are JUST THAT STUPID! It's sad, but it is the truth.

Second is the "COOL" factor. These kids play first person shooter games for hours on end and when they actually get their hands on a real gun, especially one they use in the game, they go "gaga" and have to show all their friends! Never mind that they have had "ZERO" training on how to handle a gun.

For example, I was in high school when Lethal Weapon came out in the movie theaters. That Beretta was "COOL"!!! All of us country boys had grow up around guns, but we wanted one of those BAD! My friend saved up and bought one. I shot it once, that solved my "wanting one" problem!!!! :rofl:

Finally, parental involvement........ 90% of kids today have almost NO PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT in their lives. I'd guess that most parents today couldn't tell you the names of their kid's teachers!

Everyone seems to have overlooked the REAL problem at the beginning of the story.......... a "STOLEN" gun...... How did a 13 year old get his hands on a stolen gun? You might want to answer that question before getting all twisted out of shape. Either he stole it or someone he knows did most likely, therefore you already know the type of people this kid is around!!!! That one fact alone tells you just about all you need to know about this situation.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop right there.

We can't legislate good parenting. It's their right to parent how they wish, why is it nobody wants to step up and take a stand against poor security in our schools?

When it comes to high schools I think it gets a lot harder. A couple years ago a student took a handgun into a local high school gave it to his girl friend from his locker during lunch hour. They went out and came back into the school, another student saw the handgun and reported it. They already had a police officer doing security and metal detectors as I recall. I don't see it being that hard to get a metal object like a handgun into a high school, everything doesn't go through metal detectors and some large metal objects go in and out on a regular basis. As we know teachers aren't armed and "gun free zones are killing zones".

Archived