Four fatalities among 35 victims of weekend shootings in Chicago

WillT

Springtime is off to a running start. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the weather getting warmer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-2-shot-in-separate-shootings-20140412,0,2196005.story

Over the span of 36 hours from Friday afternoon into early Sunday morning , at least 35 people were shot, four fatally, in Chicago. More than half of those shootings were in the last 12 hours of that time period.

Police responded to at least 26 separate incidents, starting at 3:30 p.m. Friday in the West Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side during an attack that left one dead and two other people wounded, police said. There were also fatal shootings in the South Shore neighborhood Friday night and in the Washington Park neighborhood early Sunday, both on the South Side.

In before Lawn Dart and Streetlights casually mention that this is the highest fatality weekend due to gun violence since concealed carry went into effect...

But, but, but I thought that all the 'extra policing' was what was lowering the murder rate, (or at least that is what they claimed in their most recent basking in front of the media camera) maybe they give all those extra police a vacation this weekend for doing such a good job?

It would be interesting to see a map shaded by the number of CCL holders compared to where there is violent crime. The results would be in stark contrast I'm thinking.

I'm guessing it would look a lot like the 2010 Gubernatorial election map;

(click on link and scroll down to the map of IL)

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-muckrakers/2010/11/illinois-electoral-map-not-so-blue-these-days/#image/1

Gary McCarthy is having a news conference today at noon to speak to the violence.

He's going to be standing in front of a table of seized weapons.

Can't wait to hear what he says...

That's a misprint. It's a tables of SIZED weapons. The guns are arranged little to big. McCarthy is just going to say that guns are bad.

McCarthy will claim that suburban guns are responsible for the shootings this weekend. He will reiterate that crimes are down do to extra police effort. To that extent, he is correct. McCarthy and his minions are actively erasing crimes from the record books. The shootings this weekend will not be counted until the perpetrators are arrested and convicted, which will take at least 18 months, then tabulated in the year they occurred, well after the stats are reported to the FBI and the press.

Technically, even the first statement is true. Chicago has no gun shops at present, so all guns come from outside the city. They don't, however, develop legs and shoot people without human assistance. McCarthy is not going to blame the mayor's extended constituency for these crimes - it's always the guns, not the criminals using guns.

I had a Chicago Police officer at my house for a party on Saturday. He and I were discussing concealed carry in great detail. We were also discussing how the weather affects the gang violence, and his exact words to me were, "If we don't have at least 13 shootings tonight it'll be a really good night."

Isn't that sad?

Yep I heard shots fired on Lincoln and Fullerton last night right before midnight (4 of them)

SENT FROM MY NSA SCREENED S4

I am really glad I have not heard shots fired in a very long time, left the city 11 years ago for the suburbs. I wouldn't say it was a common thing where I lived in the city, but there were times.

The sad fact is that the inner city is full of voters who think that government can reduce crime without dealing with criminals.

I've posted comments on the various Patch publications and had people come right out and say that incarcerating criminals does not reduce crime. I think one poster said something to the effect that "governments have been throwing people in jail for centuries, if it worked, crime would be non-existent by now."

The inner city voters are deluded into believing that crime is the result of broad sociological forces like economic injustice, institutional racism, income inequality and other such nonsense.

This politicians who represent this constituency will flat out kill any bill in the ILGA that seeks to toughen penalties for crime.

So then what is the alternative? The alternative is to try strategies that make it impossible for criminals to commit crimes - the logic goes "If you take guns away from every body the criminals won't be able to get guns, therefor they won't shoot anybody."

If you start with the illogical premise that you can deal with crime without dealing with criminals, a whole laundry list of illogical statist ideas follow, including the basic idea that you can legislate moral behavior by regulating objects.

it is as stupid as believing that you can prevent people from becoming obese by regulating what foods they can eat and in what portions.

GRRRRRRR!!!!

So WGN news,McCarthy was on talking about

all the shootings.

Right away he says "who had a stolen gun,

which brings up people with CCW and not securing their

firearms properly"

What the heck does a stolen gun have to do with CCW?

If the guy was carrying his gun,it wouldnt have been stolen!

What if he didnt have a ccw license,just an FOID card,

does he still get reprimanded for not storing it properly?

Oh boy is this guy a jerk.

Then they lost audio on the conference so the reporter recaps

and say "talking about the lax gun laws we have in Illinois"

WTH is that!

I wish,I really wish there was an easy way for us to

air our rebuttal on this stuff in the news like they do.

rant complete

kinda

GRRRRRRR!!!!

So WGN news,McCarthy was on talking about all the shootings.

Right away he says "who had a stolen gun, which brings up people with CCW and not securing their firearms properly".

What the heck does a stolen gun have to do with CCW?

<bows> Thank you very much....

It has to do with the spin.... how can they continue to demonize lawfully owned guns, especially those being CCW'd?

Mention in whenever you can, in whatever context you can, even if it has no direct link.

Like the question "Have you stopped beating your spouse?"... it damages through inference, rather than proof.

Archived