Chicago man arrested with "unregistered" guns

ming

If he admitted to having them when Chicago did have a gun registration law could he be charged, even though that law is no longer in existence?

possibly. the law was in effect when he violated it, even if it is not in effect today. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on municipal ordinance violations.

i doubt the limit for municipal ordinance violations exceeds that for general misdemeanors and that is 18 months.

Got a reply from the author of the article

Several people have emailed along these same lines. He was indeed charged with not registering the guns. I called police in hopes of figuring out what was going on, but they weren't able to clarify. I agree that it seems strange given the recent change in policy.

Because the proper officials to clarify this charge aren't working today (and because, right or wrong, he was charged with that offense), we've left some of that language in the story. That said, we took the "unregistered" references out of the headline and lead. His most serious charge, reckless discharge of a firearm, wouldn't be affected by the change in policy.
Thanks again for reading and taking the time to write.
Take care.
-Mitch

EDIT: For anyone curious, this was the original text of the article (if future changes impact it)

A Lincoln Park doctor with a cache of unregistered guns in his apartment claimed that “a nervous tic” caused him to fire into a neighbor’s unit on Wednesday, according to a police report.

Michael Olivieri, 53, told officers he had placed a revolver on an island in his kitchen and thought he had replaced its live rounds with dummy rounds, the arrest report said. But “everything happened so fast,” he told police, and soon he “squeezed the trigger as a nervous tic like squeezing a tennis ball.”

That “tic” caused a bullet to go through his wall and into a neighbor’s apartment, where it damaged the kitchen backsplash, prosecutors said. No one was hurt.

When police showed up to investigate, they confiscated eight guns – including handguns and at least one rifle. None of those firearms were registered with the city, prosecutors said. When police returned to his apartment Friday, he told them he had a ninth gun that he had forgotten to tell them about two days earlier. That weapon was in his car in the building’s parking garage.

Officers arrested Olivieri on Friday at his high-rise apartment in the 2000 block of North Lincoln Park West, near the Lincoln Park Zoo’s antelope and zebra enclosure. He faces a felony charge of reckless discharge of a firearm and eight counts of not registering his guns with the city.

Olivieri, a family physician, has an active state medical license, online records show. His arrest report said he is currently on leave from his practice.

In bond court Saturday, Judge Laura Marie Sullivan ordered the doctor held on $10,000 bail.

Got a reply from the author of the article

Several people have emailed along these same lines. He was indeed charged with not registering the guns. I called police in hopes of figuring out what was going on, but they weren't able to clarify. I agree that it seems strange given the recent change in policy.

Because the proper officials to clarify this charge aren't working today (and because, right or wrong, he was charged with that offense), we've left some of that language in the story. That said, we took the "unregistered" references out of the headline and lead. His most serious charge, reckless discharge of a firearm, wouldn't be affected by the change in policy.

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to write.

Take care.

-Mitch

Thanks for doing that. Still, this is worth (at least for those of us in Chicago) looking into a bit more. It seems completely confounding to me that we could be prosecuted under a law that no longer exists.

Officers arrested Olivieri on Friday at his high-rise apartment in the 2000 block of North Lincoln Park West, near the Lincoln Park Zoo’s antelope and zebra enclosure.

Wha?

Where did that come from?

He lives near Lincoln Park Zoo,,, OK I get it. How goofy is it to reference his address to the antelope and zebra enclosure?

Officers arrested Olivieri on Friday at his high-rise apartment in the 2000 block of North Lincoln Park West, near the Lincoln Park Zoo’s antelope and zebra enclosure.

Wha?

Where did that come from?

He lives near Lincoln Park Zoo,,, OK I get it. How goofy is it to reference his address to the antelope and zebra enclosure?

Silly, "It's for the Animals."

"Cache" of firearms. That means he had more than one to these idiots.

"But WHY do you need more than one gun? WHY do you need a "cache" of guns? WHY do you need an "assault rifle?"."

Why why why?

ETA: CPD requires that all coppers personal firearms be registered with the department. Therefore, CPD officers are beneath the law in this instance.

If he admitted to having them when Chicago did have a gun registration law could he be charged, even though that law is no longer in existence?

Probably, because the law at the time he obtained the firearms said that registration was required. And registration was never struck down by a court as unconstitutional.

I can't find the story, but recently someone was arrested and charged with violating a law in the 1970s when the law was in effect, even though it's since been repealed.

Archived