Moore/Shepard Ruling Announced

Molly B.

As soon as I got the emails this morning with replies to this thread, I knew what that meant. Great to hear! I just hope Chicago gets forced to allow carry and being a college student I hope to be able to carry on campus, but something tells me I'll be out of luck on that. I'm confident Todd will do the best he can.

Illinois can appeal it to SCOTUS, but I don't think the current makeup favors them and as mentioned, there's some states that don't want SCOTUS to answer this question (NY,CA, etc). However, on Fox, Mike Flannery was talking about states with may issue not wanting this to go to SCOTUS. But isn't there a court case regarding Maryland already in the pipeline regarding may issue?

Edited by mrpapageorgio

...Now the question becomes, do they merely have to legislate a CCW law within 180 days, that could conceivably provide additional time for the state to develop training requirements and infrastructure? That could string things out for another year. I sure hope not. However, based on Todd's remark in the press, I think all of the failed deals are going out the window, so I hope things don't get tied up. I can't wait to read Todd's synopsis on what the future holds.

I don't believe the order compels the state to pass a carry law. It allows 180 days to do so if the state wishes, but I read it to be optional.

So can this just be delayed to infinity from countless appeals from the state?

I really do not think this will happen. Madigan (Lisa) cannpt take it to SCOTUS for fear that SCOTUS will ruule against her, thus striking down "may issue" all over the country.

2. Todd is in the driver's seat. If they come up with a Bill we don't like, we can delay a vote until the 180 days is over which i have (very aptly) named the "concealed carry cliff".

3. If they can't get a Bill done in 180 days, your FOID allows carry open or concealed. The newscasters are already talking about it.

I don't friggin' believe it. I had given up hope, but it looks like Bud was RIGHT!

Glad I bought my PF9 this summer (and took care of its obligatory 3 trips back to the manuf.), because I have a feeling carry guns are going to be a hot commodity in IL soon!

They are right now, and have been.

Woo Hoo! Off line for 2 hours, and look what happens!

(as much as someone firmly in the fat old white guy demographics can).

As I read this announcement from Illinois Carry on the 7th. court of appeals I am speachless. What great news for all the people that have given their time and efforts in the winning of this ruling. Congratulations to everyone associated with the administration of Illinois Carry. Also I am thinking of a true fighter that was taken from our midst. Gene Martin, OLD COACH, has truly been missed by myself and others. I just know that OLD COACH is dancing on the streets of gold as I am typing this.

As soon as I got the emails this morning with replies to this thread, I knew what that meant. Great to hear! I just hope Chicago gets forced to allow carry and being a college student I hope to be able to carry on campus, but something tells me I'll be out of luck on that. I'm confident Todd will do the best he can.

Illinois can appeal it to SCOTUS, but I don't think the current makeup favors them and as mentioned, there's some states that don't want SCOTUS to answer this question (NY,CA, etc). However, on Fox, Mike Flannery was talking about states with may issue not wanting this to go to SCOTUS. But isn't there a court case regarding Maryland already in the pipeline regarding may issue?

I don't know how people go to the U of C without carrying....my companies service van was broken into three times in a 4 month period while our service guys were working a job @ the U of C. That is 3 times, during daylight.

There's only one more avenue of appeals which is SCOTUS (there is also the chance of en blanc, but the current makeup of the 7th wouldn't favor them and I'm sure the 180 day clock will still be ticking if they get en blanc), theoretically this could be dragged out for probably another year to 18 months in my opinion if it goes to SCOTUS, but SCOTUS would probably not have a favorable opinion to Madigan.

Edited by mrpapageorgio

If they do nothing in 180 days, we have foid-carry until an appellate court overrules or a new law is passed that complies with the 7'ths ruling - no?

That's what I took from it too (except the part about being overruled).

The legislature need do nothing to be in compliance. They've been given an opportunity to legislate, not a mandate.

Edited by mauserme

I don't know how people go to the U of C without carrying....my companies service van was broken into three times in a 4 month period while our service guys were working a job @ the U of C. That is 3 times, during daylight.

I go to UIC, never really a problem on campus, but I still get the crime alert emails all the time of someone who got mugged somewhere off campus. U of C was never a campus that appealed to me.

I really do not think this will happen. Madigan (Lisa) cannpt take it to SCOTUS for fear that SCOTUS will ruule against her, thus striking down "may issue" all over the country.

2. Todd is in the driver's seat. If they come up with a Bill we don't like, we can delay a vote until the 180 days is over which i have (very aptly) named the "concealed carry cliff".

3. If they can't get a Bill done in 180 days, your FOID allows carry open or concealed. The newscasters are already talking about it.

I hope you're right Bud.

Feel free to say "I told you so" although most likely it will be 2013 before our rights are restored. Aw go ahead, say it anyway!

For historical purposes, links to two prior locked threads discussing this case prior to the ruling.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26176

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30330

Here's a link to the Fox Chicago Video from the noon news: http://www.myfoxchic...ealed-carry-law

I couldn't help but laugh at Flannery's comments regarding open carry if the 180 days pass with no legislation, (paraphrasing) "People can carry six shooters like Wyatt Earp on Michigan Avenue!"

Edited by mrpapageorgio

Here's a link to the Fox Chicago Video from the noon news: http://www.myfoxchic...ealed-carry-law

I couldn't help but laugh at Flannery's comments regarding open carry if the 180 days pass with no legislation, (paraphrasing) "People can carry six shooters like Wyatt Earp on Michigan Avenue!"

and why would this be bad?

Awesome news!

Now, where is Todd? Whats next?

Im quite sure Todd has had a phone glued to his ear since early this morning. We are all waiting for him to hash out some lengthy "whats next" post, but I bet hes ready to have a beer or two in celebration first!