Shootings Map

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

"The Trace" a gun control group, has put together this nifty map. When you zoom out it looks bad, because even a single incident shows up when you zoom out to near lunar orbit distances instead of disappearing as it should very early in the zoom as being insignificant. One dot in the middle of nowhere covers (visually) 20 square miles or more on the map at that zoomed out distance, and appears as strong as 30 or more shooting in one square mile zoomed in. The map of the US really lights up at that distance.In fact. And of course, it maps 5 years of activity.

But... Zoom in and the map tells a different story. Looking at Illinois you can see huge areas with no activity, or very little, vs. the concentrations around Chicago, Rockford, Waukegan, Aurora, etc. Even then it seems odd because Chicago looks almost all yellow or red while I know from other maps that there are large areas of Chicago without much homicide. In the Northshore where all the moms screech, virtually nothing. I wonder how a DUI deaths map would look in comparison? Or an opoid deaths map? 

https://www.thetrace...-shootings-map/

#2 Craigcelia

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

I have to give it up for these guys, I love the map.  Although zoomed out, Chicago looks like a sea of yellow....no surprise there!

Craig

NRA / ISRA Life Member

GOA Member
ICCL Classes Available

#3 MSD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

Not surprising, they may have included defensive gun use cases.  I zoomed into my area, fairly rural so limited data on the map, and found one incident where I know that it was a DGU.  In fact the states attorney tried to prosecute and the defendant was found not guilty after pleading self defense.  I wonder how many of their "gun violence" data points include defensive or other lawful use of a firearm incidents.

#4 kk5

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

When checking my area 1 fatality 2015 officer involved.

It was a suicide by cop incident.

Surrender, Like HE Double Hockey Sticks

#5 Colt guy

• 1,386 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Chicago looks like a sattelite photo from space at night. heck all the big cities do.
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

#6 lee n. field

• 1,992 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

"The Trace" a gun control group, has put together this nifty map. When you zoom out it looks bad, because even a single incident shows up when you zoom out to near lunar orbit distances instead of disappearing as it should very early in the zoom as being insignificant. One dot in the middle of nowhere covers (visually) 20 square miles or more on the map at that zoomed out distance, and appears as strong as 30 or more shooting in one square mile zoomed in. The map of the US really lights up at that distance.In fact. And of course, it maps 5 years of activity.

But... Zoom in and the map tells a different story. Looking at Illinois you can see huge areas with no activity, or very little, vs. the concentrations around Chicago, Rockford, Waukegan, Aurora, etc. Even then it seems odd because Chicago looks almost all yellow or red while I know from other maps that there are large areas of Chicago without much homicide. In the Northshore where all the moms screech, virtually nothing. I wonder how a DUI deaths map would look in comparison? Or an opoid deaths map? 

Data is incomplete, at best.  I know of more shootings in my neighborhood than are listed.

"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#7 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,840 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

Data stopped being collected December 31, 2018.
So we all know there are more, or less, or incomplete.

Whats amazing.......no one believes these kinds of data or maps or lists are ever correct!

Look, enjoy, laugh, cry, but its all for entertainment. Like Hollywood.

#8 2smartby1/2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

Interesting....

Thanks for sharing....

#9 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 2,840 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Remember

Sharon is Karen.......

#10 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Not surprising, they may have included defensive gun use cases.  I zoomed into my area, fairly rural so limited data on the map, and found one incident where I know that it was a DGU.  In fact the states attorney tried to prosecute and the defendant was found not guilty after pleading self defense.  I wonder how many of their "gun violence" data points include defensive or other lawful use of a firearm incidents.

I saw the same thing  I know for a fact that the shooting was a robbery gone bad in Carpentersville   

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#11 RANDY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

Data is incomplete, at best.  I know of more shootings in my neighborhood than are listed.

I know of a murder 1 case pending from last year right now that is not listed on the map.

One persons paranoia is another persons situational awareness.

Fastest way to end violence is to ban Democrats. 

#12 snooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have never witnessed the escalation we have seen in the last week...heroin keeps on keeping on

#13 steveTA84

• 4,745 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

More on “the Trace” and who they are

https://ilwd4cr.home...nd-it-shall-we/

#14 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

More democrats in an area, more shootings.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  The media will not say a word. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#15 soundguy

• 6,215 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

Not entirely accurate.

A yellow dot a block from my house actually happened 35 blocks south of me in Garfield Park, rather than Old Irving.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#16 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 5,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

Mexico looks nice and safe.
Have all boated who fish?

#17 seanc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

I have to give it up for these guys, I love the map.  Although zoomed out, Chicago looks like a sea of yellow....no surprise there!

Some areas just need more practice time.  Dolton, Harvey and Chicago Heights are more red than yellow.

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

#18 Euler

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

Not surprising, they may have included defensive gun use cases....

If you click on a dot and "read more," it provides the details. There are DGUs. Interestingly, there are also BB gun incidents. Yup, somebody was shot by a BB, and it's on the map.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#19 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• 3,364 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

1,2,3,4, I declare a thumb war!! Ban thumbs, they're weapons of war!!

#20 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:53 AM

3 people, including a toddler, shot sitting in a car a block down the street from me last night. A man was killed in the same area less than a month ago.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#21 davel501

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:36 PM

It's a neat map. I wonder what the underlying tech is. Guessing cliq.

The only shooting by my house was police involved / likely suicide by cop: https://www.chicagot...0416-story.html

#22 snooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

3 people, including a toddler, shot sitting in a car a block down the street from me last night. A man was killed in the same area less than a month ago.

Lori lighthead will get right on this...its a poverty issue after all....

#23 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

maybe it's time to move 

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#24 Raw Power

• 1,372 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

More on “the Trace” and who they are

https://ilwd4cr.home...nd-it-shall-we/

Wow, that's insane.

Using their own created message to claim "a source" and then they used that "source" to file a formal complaint with the Feds. All the while, doing the exact thing (fundraising) that they're accusing the NRA of doing.

Nice job putting the puzzle pieces together on that one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users