Gas Tax - How did Reps Vote

GWBH

I don't care how anyone voted because I went up to Wisconsin and filled up my car and three gas cans (~35 gallons) for $2.54. It's $2.88 near my house. Saved $10 by driving 20 minutes.

You are still getting a deal over where I'm at in Lake County, $3.13 locally, $2.72 just over the WI border, and from what I hear Lake County is pushing hard to impliment another 8 cents a gallon tax.

A weekly trip into WI is now part of our schedule, fill up the wife's car and bring back ~25 gallons in cans for my vehicle and the lawn tractor every week, going to start doing more grocery shopping in WI while we are up there as well to leverage the overall lower prices. Buying ~50 gallons of gas in WI every week should save us over $100 a month when all is said and done if Lake County adds their 8 cents extra.

On a side note, I went to a local store today and they were sold out of 5 gallon gas cans, usually they have at least a dozen on the shelf so I feel we are not alone in planning roadtrips to WI... I also noticed that the local gas stations that are usually packed with people waiting to fill up around rush hour were nearly empty.

I don't care how anyone voted because I went up to Wisconsin and filled up my car and three gas cans (~35 gallons) for $2.54. It's $2.88 near my house. Saved $10 by driving 20 minutes.

You are still getting a deal over where I'm at in Lake County, $3.13 locally, $2.72 just over the WI border, and from what I hear Lake County is pushing hard to impliment another 8 cents a gallon tax.

A weekly trip into WI is now part of our schedule, fill up the wife's car and bring back ~25 gallons in cans for my vehicle and the lawn tractor every week, going to start doing more grocery shopping in WI while we are up there as well to leverage the overall lower prices. Buying ~50 gallons of gas in WI every week should save us over $100 a month when all is said and done if Lake County adds their 8 cents extra.

On a side note, I went to a local store today and they were sold out of 5 gallon gas cans, usually they have at least a dozen on the shelf so I feel we are not alone in planning roadtrips to WI... I also noticed that the local gas stations that are usually packed with people waiting to fill up around rush hour were nearly empty.

I had to wait in line to get gas today in WI and on the last day of June there were lines at local IL stations. Today? Lighter than normal traffic through stations from what I saw. I can't wait for them to realize that they drove out so much business. Border stations in IL are going to take a big hit.

I listen to Governor P's speech and how Illinois is creating x # of new jobs and how much infrastructure will be improved, until Illinois has what will be considered the best roads in the nation.

The only fact in the above sentence was that the Governor gave a speech (note that it was in Chicago).

The old government creating jobs thingy is such a bill of goods but the average lemming on the street will swallow it whole.

The Illinois roads I have driven on over 50+ years have been neglected, patched, neglected and patched again. Unless you see the crews ripping them out, don't bank on a smooth ride anytime soon.

Illinois government dementia is kicking in, again.

Did they not factor in the price increases related to this new gas tax?

Do they think the trucking companies and the related manufacturers are going to just absorb the higher costs of transport?

My prediction on the percentage of the new revenue that actually goes towards what is was intended will be based on the roll of two dice, added together.

I'm kind of surprised McDermed voted. Usually I agree with her votes. But I guess I am not completely surprised. She does have a large section of I80 in her district including a portion through Joliet that is in desperate need of work. She is consistently pro-2A, but I don't appreciate getting hosed at the pump & license renewal.

I'm kind of surprised McDermed voted. Usually I agree with her votes. But I guess I am not completely surprised. She does have a large section of I80 in her district including a portion through Joliet that is in desperate need of work. She is consistently pro-2A, but I don't appreciate getting hosed at the pump & license renewal.

If you've listened to a few of the general assembly sessions, and I know most reading this have listened to a lot, more than me in most cases, you realize it's all spend, spend, spend for both sides. Let's say Chicago has some BS "summer jobs" handout for a million they are pushing and what do you get from the Rs? No! We cant spend that! Or... That's nice and all, but we could use "x" amount down state or in the suburbs please. Sounds good says all! Passed. Since there are not going to be any spending cuts, and the money is not going to be spent on the pension disaster, why woulnd't the Rs support the money faucet so they can get their 30% take?

I had to wait in line to get gas today in WI and on the last day of June there were lines at local IL stations. Today? Lighter than normal traffic through stations from what I saw. I can't wait for them to realize that they drove out so much business. Border stations in IL are going to take a big hit.

This has been proven out time and time again. A big issue out east is high cigarette taxes. Not only can most people drive to the border of one of those small coastal NEs states pretty easily, but the Indian reservations don't collect tobacco tax. So you spend an hour or so one day a month, save hundreds and stock up on your cigs for the month. The cook county soda tax failed because the distance to cheap food in other counties was more manageable, The difference with this though, is that Illinois is a much bigger state. Stations on the borders are going to take a big hit, but most of the state will have to eat it because of the distance. So, they will likely, IMO, be revenue positive on this though I'd love to be wrong. I don't see the national c-store/petroleum marketer associations fighting this, and I'm not sure how much leverage the IL petroleum marketers association has with this issue.

So, they will likely, IMO, be revenue positive on this though I'd love to be wrong.

Revenue postitive in the 'gas tax' column, likely negative in the others when all the beans are pushed around and the trickle down effects are factored in.

Example of another column that will likely show a negative: For every dollar people have to spend at the pump and pay the new 19 cent tax (right now that averages out to about 6 cents a dollar tax) that is a dollar they are not spending somewhere else and being charged 6-10% sales tax. That is a state tax revenue wash right now, and even if gas prices fall the net gain on the consumer dollar spent and taxed is nil to the state, and now (as if they care) that tax revenue is earmarked and not a general fund.

BTW: Saw a post on social media (not verified) but it said Pilot gas stations are reporting an 85% increase in gas sales along the Kentucky border these last few days.

So, they will likely, IMO, be revenue positive on this though I'd love to be wrong.

Revenue postitive in the 'gas tax' column, likely negative in the others when all the beans are pushed around and the trickle down effects are factored in.

Example of another column that will likely show a negative: For every dollar people have to spend at the pump and pay the new 19 cent tax (right now that averages out to about 6 cents a dollar tax) that is a dollar they are not spending somewhere else and being charged 6-10% sales tax. That is a state tax revenue wash right now, and even if gas prices fall the net gain on the consumer dollar spent and taxed is nil to the state, and now (as if they care) that tax revenue is earmarked and not a general fund.

BTW: Saw a post on social media (not verified) but it said Pilot gas stations are reporting an 85% increase in gas sales along the Kentucky border these last few days.

Absolutely. That's probably the biggest tax issue in Illinois. Every dollar you spend on something, such as a meal or a hotel room, has a notable but usually hidden tax built in. They are now forced to start with the not so hidden taxes, though of course property taxes have always been a big deal.

Seems relevant enough to the discussion f42aa38993c7b371712fc58a79696232.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that's relevant!! Government organized crime via the Madigan / Pritzker Family Cartel...

Gotta get those campaign funds and slush money from somewhere...

On the tax situation - wonder how many "carve outs" are in place and who they go to...? Just say'n...

Archived