If Illinois became as anti-gun as NY, would you still stay?

vito

I hate living in this state, even though living in Rockford avoids many of the anti-gun restrictions of Chicago, and cost of living is reasonable (other than ridiculous property taxes). I had hoped to move as soon as I retired, but having my youngest son living locally, and still struggling and needing our help, as well as having two other grown children within an hour's drive, has caused my wife to say she will not leave. And although I do not like being associated with this state in any way, I can tolerate the status quo. But looking at the extremes that NY state has gone to, with their outrageously anti 2nd Amendment laws, including the virtual impossibility of getting a concealed carry license for the bulk of the population that lives in and around NYC, I realize that if Illinois ever goes the same route I would have to leave. I think I could put enough pressure on my wife, even if it were to just move across the border into Wisconsin, because having enjoyed the right to keep and bear arms, including concealed carry since legalized here, I could never go back to being unable to defend myself when outside my home. How about you?

Why wait? Wisconsin is visible from the front porch of homes in Rockford.

I'm headed south because of weather and employment, but Wisconsin is a huge improvement in not having to worry about waking up to being a felon over possessions that frighten a few sissy reps from the Chicago area. Heck, Rep Pappas wants to cut off your balls too. Time to get out.

Today's Tribune has an article about Pritzker expanding government by creating a new committee to study some nonsense. Dems love to expand government and consequently increase taxes to pay for it. 2A is just another part of their overall plan to turn Illinois into a peoples republik. With the structure of the electorate I don't see it ever improving.

I have no plans to stay even if IL gets 'slightly' better, even if it stays the same i have no plans to stay, it's simply not worth it.

I understand the being away from family but everytime I push the numbers the savings from moving out of this state would allow me to travel back (even using plane tickets) literally ever week or every two weeks and still come out ahead!

I currently rent, in part so that I'm not bound to the state by property ownership, plus due to how messed up the real estate market is in my area I can rent for substantially less than ownership, and considering my rent is basically just the property taxes, I'm not actually losing anything in the grand investment picture by renting.

I browse listings in Missouri and Tennessee at least once a week, I have no iterest in urban living so all my searches start with 50+ acre lots, there isn't a week that goes by that I don't come across a listing that is at minimum double the acreage, about 1/10 the property taxes with a comparible house size for half or less than what it would cost me to buy the house I currently rent. Also due to the huge difference in property taxes, we can literally afford to spend twice as much so that opens up a lot more options.

I think selling a house in this state is becoming harder to do. Mine has been on the market for almost 3 months and only 2 showings. I live out in the county and it nice and quite. My neighbor has a 100 yard range for target shooting.
Maybe the neighbor's range has something to do with it not selling. People check out the area, see the range and pass on your place. Not everyone wants to live next to a range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry to say this state is way to F'd up to ever get even a little better. The issue is, the population continues to plummet, meaning that the tax burder per capita is only going to continue to increase. Home values are not increasing, taxes are going up faster and faster, discretionary income is dropping, and these damn liberals refuse to consider any kind of pension reform that would effect their core voters.

Friends, I hat to say that the state is already, and had been in a death spiral for the last decade plus, and nothing is going to change that until all of the liberals left finally decide that even they have had a enough. Good luck there.

and these damn liberals refuse to consider any kind of pension reform that would effect their core voters.

Just to get current on the pension deficit every IL citizen (and I mean everyone including babies, heck even illegals) would need to pony upwards of $15,000 each right now and then be hit with $100s (if not $1000s) in additional annual tax dollars every year forward just to stay current on pensions! And that is just the pension deficit, forget about all the other spending and holes in the budget and the population decline that is raising the burden per capitia. I believe it's a very safe bet to say, I will be long gone from this planet before Illinois becomes solvent and can start to reduce the tax burden on the citizens. It's only going to get worse not better and I'm not sticking around to foot the bill much longer.

I will leave after my mothers last heart beat, she is 100 years old and wants to die in her home. I already have property in a gun friendly state where my son and his family live.

Illinois’ population losses greater in youth, working-age residents than retirees

Illinois’ youth and working-age professionals are leaving in greater numbers than other age groups, including retirees, according to the latest figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.
U.S. Census information shows the state's population declined by 45,000 people in the year ending last July.
New data released Thursday showed that Illinois’ population losses were primarily attributed to people younger than 65. Nearly every age bracket from children under five to adults age 55-60 lost population.
The largest total population decrease was among Illinoisans age 50-54, which fell by an estimated 25,313 people.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/illinois-population-losses-greater-in-youth-working-age-residents-than/article_cbe18816-9466-11e9-9d0d-bfb3f99b9413.html

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, June 23, 2019 at 11:55 PM - Requested by author.
Hidden by mauserme, June 23, 2019 at 11:55 PM - Requested by author.

Illinois’ population losses greater in youth, working-age residents than retirees

Illinois’ youth and working-age professionals are leaving in greater numbers than other age groups, including retirees, according to the latest figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.
U.S. Census information shows the state's population declined by 45,000 people in the year ending last July.
New data released Thursday showed that Illinois’ population losses were primarily attributed to people younger than 65. Nearly every age bracket from children under five to adults age 55-60 lost population.
The largest total population decrease was among Illinoisans age 50-54, which fell by an estimated 25,313 people.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/illinois-population-losses-greater-in-youth-working-age-residents-than/article_cbe18816-9466-11e9-9d0d-bfb3f99b9413.html

I believe that's just more lies from the left. Sure, plenty of people left but it seems there's more people and more traffic than ever before. This is the view behind me when I'm in line at any of the three grocery stores (Jewel, Tony's, Diversey Walmart) closest to me. It's the same view at the polling place, too.

XNAHKI26UYN5FFAZS4AJCVEKLU.jpg

I'm trapped behind enemy lines until I can retire in 10 years. I can't wait to leave. Things will not improve in my lifetime, if ever.

I have been thinking about a 10 year exit plan or until that straw breaks my back and pushes me out sooner, but tonight the wife informed me that she wants a 5 year plan to vacate Illinois, so it's time we fast track a down payment savings.

I'm working on it. My wife is more or less on board but that shifts weekly. The 2nd is the cherry on top for the decision but the whole rotten cake is hard to stomach. The economic issues we have are structural in nature and demographic in nature and It's very hard to see a way back from that short of a full collapse and even then...

I'm working on it. My wife is more or less on board but that shifts weekly. The 2nd is the cherry on top for the decision but the whole rotten cake is hard to stomach. The economic issues we have are structural in nature and demographic in nature and It's very hard to see a way back from that short of a full collapse and even then...

Find a house you don't mind and your wife would love with a big bathtub and a fancy kitchen in a red state. Show her the low low taxes. In my case, the amount I pay for taxes monthly in Illinois will pay for taxes, vacations, and the new house in my chosen red escape state.

When I told the mortgage lady at the bank (on the phone) how much I pay in taxes she spit out whatever she had been drinking, apologized, and asked if I live in a mansion. (LoL No, I don't.)

In my case, the amount I pay for taxes monthly in Illinois will pay for taxes, vacations, and the new house in my chosen red escape state.

I hear you, as I said previous, I rent so I don't pay the property tax directly, but the monthly tax bill alone on the property I rent is equal to what the mortgage payment plus property taxes on a $350,000 house on 100 acres in TN would be.

It's mind boggling that what I would pay in property taxes in Illinois can entirely pay the mortgage and property taxes on more house and property in Tennessee.

Of course as a renter, you cannot deduct mortgage interest or taxes. If you have ample other deductions or limited income, these deductions may or may not be of value to you.

That doesn't negate the point that what I would pay in property taxes (even with full tax deductions applied) could pay for an entire mortage and property taxes in another state. The tax discrepancy is further exacerbated when you add in other IL taxes like the 4.5% income tax vs zero in Tennessee, this is huge for higher income brackets. Sure some other tax differences may play in favor of IL, but not many.

At the end of the day the 'excess' tax burden imposed by Illinois (primarily property taxes) in itself essentially entirely pays for the mortage on a new house in a state like TN and that is my point.

A March poll from the university found that two-thirds of Illinois residents think the state is going in the wrong direction.

Yet they voted for democrats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hopefully all of the Dems stay in the mess that they have voted for, instead of polluting other states

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived