Lost CCL and FOID

ToXiC

So after reading this forum for years I finally registered since I need clarification with my situation. Recently I lost my wallet with the FOID and CCL in it. After waiting for few days to see if it turns up (it did after the fact), I reported my FOID and CCL lost. I understand that with the current ridiculous processing time I will have to wait for months and there isn't much I can do about it. But my question is since I am no longer officially allowed to own any firearm or ammo, how do I transfer it to my wife? Is there any paperwork I have to fill out or is this more of a "here you go babe, they're yours now"?

Any help would be appreciated.

You're not transferring ownership of your firearms, only their custody. Your guns are still your guns. Mostly you're just not allowed to touch them without her supervision, like you've suddenly become 12 again.

It's worth documenting their disposition, in case someone comes knocking. You can use ISP's form, although any compatible record would work. I'd say not to worry about filing it, unless someone actually does come knocking. IANAL

I recently found a FOID card on the street. I wonder if it was yours.

I was about to mail it to the address on the card, but I checked it on the ISP Web site and it came back as Denied, so I'm assuming it was cancelled.

It's not mine but thanks for looking out. I got my wallet back but it was already after I reported everything lost. Now I gotta wait for everything just to renew in February of 2021. I wonder if it will even make it in time.

So after reading this forum for years I finally registered since I need clarification with my situation. Recently I lost my wallet with the FOID and CCL in it. After waiting for few days to see if it turns up (it did after the fact), I reported my FOID and CCL lost. I understand that with the current ridiculous processing time I will have to wait for months and there isn't much I can do about it. But my question is since I am no longer officially allowed to own any firearm or ammo, how do I transfer it to my wife? Is there any paperwork I have to fill out or is this more of a "here you go babe, they're yours now"?

Any help would be appreciated.

We are not attorneys here so this is not to be considered legal advice and you should check with an attorney if you have questions. That being said, you have only lost your cards, that does not suddenly make you a prohibited person or ineligible for a FOID card in the same since a revocation for a criminal offense would. Transferring your firearms to your spouse would not seem to be necessary, just don't be in immediate possession of them or transport them without her. My opinion only.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived