Photo

Trump on National Reciprocity: "If it comes across my desk I will sign it.”

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

https://www.americas...te-for-freedom/

“Mr. President, each state’s driver’s license is honored across this great nation, yet a permit to carry a concealed gun—which, in contrast, is a right specifically protected in the U.S. Bill of Rights—is often not respected by other states. Will you support a national reciprocity act so that law-abiding gun owners can more easily travel with their freedom?”

“You are talking about concealed-carry, right?” asked President Trump. “About people who cross state lines?” he asked.

“Yes, Mr. President,” I replied. “Right now, simply taking a wrong turn from Pennsylvania into New Jersey can result in years in prison for an otherwise law-abiding American citizen.”

President Trump nodded and said, “I will support such legislation. If it comes across my desk I will sign it.”

The president, of course, had a concealed-carry permit while he lived in New York City. He has said many times that he found it necessary to be ready to protect himself. He has also said many times that he believes all lawful citizens are guaranteed this same, basic human right

Our discussion of people traveling with their freedom then led us to the topic of the millions of new gun owners in America, many of whom are women.

“If the Democrats get in, they are going to take your guns away,” said the president. “If you’re a woman or you’re anybody, and a criminal breaks into your home, they will still have a gun—an illegal gun—but you won’t and they’ll know it.”

#2 Mick G

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

Fantastic but we cannot even get rid of the useless FOID in this state.

Our stupid state doesn't recognize ANY other states concealed carry permits.

“If the Democrats get in, they are going to take your guns away,” said the president. “If you’re a woman or you’re anybody, and a criminal breaks into your home, they will still have a gun—an illegal gun—but you won’t and they’ll know it.”

He then stood up and delivered one final message: “I have great respect for Wayne. Say hello to him for me. And you tell all the members of your great organization I am totally for the Second Amendment. We’re with the Second Amendment all the way.”​

Blah, Blah, Blah he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

Which is far better then the alternative but let's be honest, he hasn't really done much for the Second Amendment.

He didn't get judges appointed for 2A rights but for his own agendas.

Some of you might not like what I wrote but that's my opinion.

#3 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

It would have been nice if Trump had said something about this a few years ago, before the Democrats won the House in 2018 and were seated in early 2019.

Oh... he did!

And the Republican controlled Congress did nothing.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#4 mauserme

• Admin
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:02 PM

I like to keep things in perspective by contrasting the things the candidates say they would like to accomplish.  I take these things as aspirational in many cases, but with a willingness to lose votes from one segment of society in order to gain votes from the opposite segment.

So, when Trump says he would sign a reciprocity bill if it crosses his desk he acknowledges that the Senate will likely continue to hold it up.  But, in the mean time, he appoints judges that may lead to it without Congress.  In doing so he takes a political risk that he feels is worthwhile.

In contrast, when Biden says "assault weapons" should be illegal, he too expresses a goal that he may or may not be able to accomplish.  But, like national reciprocity is one of Trump's publicly stated goals, banning guns is one of Biden's.  And, like Trump, Biden is willing to lose the votes of one segment in order to gain the votes of others, based on his aspirations.

#5 Colt guy

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

I like to keep things in perspective by contrasting the things the candidates say they would like to accomplish.  I take these things as aspirational in many cases, but with a willingness to lose votes from one segment of society in order to gain votes from the opposite segment.

So, when Trump says he would sign a reciprocity bill if it crosses his desk he acknowledges that the Senate will likely continue to hold it up.  But, in the mean time, he appoints judges that may lead to it without Congress.  In doing so he takes a political risk that he feels is worthwhile.

In contrast, when Biden says "assault weapons" should be illegal, he too expresses a goal that he may or may not be able to accomplish.  But, like national reciprocity is one of Trump's publicly stated goals, banning guns is one of Biden's.  And, like Trump, Biden is willing to lose the votes of one segment in order to gain the votes of others, based on his aspirations.

Well said
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

#6 Sweeper13

• 1,352 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:30 PM

It would have been nice if Trump had said something about this a few years ago, before the Democrats won the House in 2018 and were seated in early 2019.

Oh... he did!

Bunch of Never Trumpers where seating in those cozy seats, Ryan also. Where are they now...GONE.... They decide to run away and retire and not fight for the country.  Trump at least takes the risk to talk about it as Mauser mentioned, not run away from it.

Edited by Sweeper13, 16 October 2020 - 08:33 PM.

#7 mab22

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

Oh... he did!

Bunch of Never Trumpers where seating in those cozy seats, Ryan also. Where are they now...GONE.... They decide to run away and retire and not fight for the country.  Trump at least takes the risk to talk about it as Mauser mentioned, not run away from it.

I heard it was passed and Mitch didn’t do **** with it.

Void the FOID!

#8 Not me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:50 PM

That was a very well crafted and true statement. It’s unfortunate that some cannot see the reality of the will of the opposition to constitutional law. 

Edited by Not me, 16 October 2020 - 09:50 PM.

#9 Mick G

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:51 PM

I'll put it my perspective. Trump had 2 years where he could of pushed this through but he didn't.

In Illinois we are still stuck with a worthless FOID system that would have to be addressed or

would his version of national reciprocity somehow override that like some sort of preemption?

It's OK in Illinois to carry if you have another states permit but you cannot buy ammo because you don't have a FOID.

The elephant in the room in Illinois is our wonderful FOID.

That being said the first paragraph is from Wayne LaPierre and he needs to resign.

He is a stain on the NRA and the NRA needs to clean house and get rid of him and the entire board.

To address your perspective Trump isn't alienating anyone he hasn't already alienated, he isn't taking any risks.

He's trying to wring out every vote that he can by pointing out that Biden will come after our gun rights.

If there isn't anyone on this board that doesn't already know that then I have no idea what they are doing on this board.

It's a NRA fluff piece that basically says vote for Trump and you'll keep your gun rights,

vote for Biden and you will definitely lose some gun rights.

I'll tell you what it isn't: "I'll expand your gun rights if I get reelected, you will get to keep your HONEY BADGER PISTOL."

Should we all vote for Trump to at least try and keep our 2A rights? ABSOLUTELY

Should we drink the koolaid that he gives a rat fart about our Second Amendment rights?

You can have the grape koolaid, I'll drink a bottle of water.

#10 Flynn

• Members
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:39 PM

I'll put it my perspective. Trump had 2 years where he could of pushed this through but he didn't.

Trump could not push anything through that 2 year Congress, there was too many Trump hating RINOs that negated the GOP majority. They only held a 1/2 seat majority in the Senate and that majority was negated by John McCain, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski (much like it pretty much is now).  So yeah on paper the Senate was Republican, but in reality it leaned Democratic, there no way was Trump going to get any gun legislation through that Congress.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#11 Mick G

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:57 PM

Trump could not push anything through that 2 year Congress, there was too many Trump hating RINOs that negated the GOP majority. They only held a 1/2 seat majority in the Senate and that majority was negated by John McCain, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski (much like it pretty much is now).  So yeah on paper the Senate was Republican, but in reality it leaned Democratic, there no way was Trump going to get any gun legislation through that Congress.

He didn't even try. Now that it's election time he's pushing the obvious. He'll do nothing about the 2A but Biden will try and gut it.

The fact that Illinois is not a free state means that we are used to being sheep. People in free states are in a state of disbelief over the FOID.

Should we vote for Trump? Yes. If he wins will we see any difference in our 2A rights? Doubtful.

National Reciprocity?

[attachment=26772:images.jpg]

#12 mauserme

• Admin
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:41 AM

As is often the case, Mick, you've read a lot more into some posts than is actually there.

To answer one of your concerns, Trump has no control over the FOID situation.

Please stay on topic.

#13 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:47 AM

IMO many gun owning Democrats are in a sort of denial over what the progressive agenda for guns are. I can't count the number of times I've heard a Democrat simply dismiss away my concerns over the constant threat of ever present gun legislation by saying "They're NOT going to take your guns away! That's just stupid!" Whereas we here KNOW the threat is real because we see the bills getting filed and moved through the assemblies. My step son hunts and is raising his son to hunt and he would love to have an AR platform rifle. And while he himself does not vote, his wife is a voting Democrat, as are his in-laws. I saw them the other day walking the streets and knocking on doors trying to get votes for Biden/Harris Harris/Biden and they are gun owners too. 

#14 Sweeper13

• 1,352 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

Oh... he did!

You are correct. It passed out of the House 2017 and Mitch didn't have the 60 votes and let it sit. I thought it didn't pass out of the House.  We still had a lot of Never Trumpers during this time, another reason why we lost the House.

Edited by Sweeper13, 17 October 2020 - 04:50 AM.

#15 dragos111

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Fantastic but we cannot even get rid of the useless FOID in this state.

Our stupid state doesn't recognize ANY other states concealed carry permits.

“If the Democrats get in, they are going to take your guns away,” said the president. “If you’re a woman or you’re anybody, and a criminal breaks into your home, they will still have a gun—an illegal gun—but you won’t and they’ll know it.”

He then stood up and delivered one final message: “I have great respect for Wayne. Say hello to him for me. And you tell all the members of your great organization I am totally for the Second Amendment. We’re with the Second Amendment all the way.”​

Blah, Blah, Blah he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

Which is far better then the alternative but let's be honest, he hasn't really done much for the Second Amendment.

He didn't get judges appointed for 2A rights but for his own agendas.

Some of you might not like what I wrote but that's my opinion.

Yes, but he is a hulluva lot better than the alternatives, either in 2016 or 2020!

#16 richp

• 1,454 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:01 AM

If we couldn't get it with Republican control of Congress and a Republican President, I'm pretty much convinced we won't see it happen. Sadly, I think the trajectory of our society and our media are going irreversibly in the wrong direction.

I'd like to think I'm wrong -- that Thomas and Barrett might swing enough SC cases into play to change the unsatisfactory status quo. But failing that, the demographics of the country, increasing coastal (largely urban) influences, and a skewed educational system and media still work against us in powerful ways.

Rich Phillips

Edited by richp, 17 October 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#17 mauserme

• Admin
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

A PM has been sent to the member whose post has been removed.

#18 McCroskey

With Liberty and Justice for all

• 3,796 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

...he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

+1. The guy is no different from any other politician. Pandering for votes because now Drunkle Joe's poll numbers are scaring him. He promised this 4 years ago and did nothing to get it done, why would I believe it now?

And I'm not getting into a "better than the other guy" argument. The simple fact is, he had the chance to lean on McConnell and get this done, supposedly he's this great dealmaker, and nothing happened. That fact doesn't mean I'm for Biden.

Edited by McCroskey, 17 October 2020 - 09:47 AM.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#19 Mick G

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:46 AM

...he has 4 years to do something and now that he needs votes he is pandering to the 2A voters.

+1. The guy is no different from any other politician. Pandering for votes because now Drunkle Joe's poll numbers are scaring him. He promised this 4 years ago and did nothing to get it done, why would I believe it now?

And I'm not getting into a "better than the other guy" argument. The simple fact is, he had the chance to lean on McConnell and get this done, supposedly he's this great dealmaker, and nothing happened. That fact doesn't mean I'm for Biden.

I can longer post on this topic because evidently the truth is too much to bear for mauserme.

The post that was removed was 100% on topic but a bit too truthful.

I expect this post to be removed also. IC has become the Twitter of gun forums.

#20 quackersmacker

• 2,125 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

I can longer post on this topic because evidently the truth is too much to bear for mauserme.

I share your concern.  The mods mean well, and pretty much do a great job, but the censorship is getting a bit severe.  And we can't really weigh in on it in an informed way, because they're hiding it from us.  I think the "moderation" on this forum has gone too far.   Just my 2 cents.  We're all adults here.  I think we can handle a very wide variety of other's opinions.   

Life Member --- NRA Endowment Level
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member --- Tennessee Gun Owners
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#21 McCroskey

With Liberty and Justice for all

• 3,796 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:04 PM

Mauserme is good people. I'm sure Mick is too. :) Antonin Scalia once said there are no bad people, only bad ideas.

I'm just very disappointed in the national reciprocity failure. It's not like the president didn't keep his promise on other things, like lowering taxes and heaven knows they've been relentless about trying to ditch the ACA. I wish some of that effort had been spent on this topic, which is just as important to many people as those others.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#22 quackersmacker

• 2,125 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

Mauserme is good people. I'm sure Mick is too. :) Antonin Scalia once said there are no bad people, only bad ideas.

I'm just very disappointed in the national reciprocity failure. It's not like the president didn't keep his promise on other things, like lowering taxes and heaven knows they've been relentless about trying to ditch the ACA. I wish some of that effort had been spent on this topic, which is just as important to many people as those others.

Yeah, that's a great point.  DJT has done such a great job on keeping promises, but has actually missed the boat on anything 2A.  That is sad.

Life Member --- NRA Endowment Level
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member --- Tennessee Gun Owners
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#23 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

Perhaps the President was saving his political capital for things he felt was more important during his first term. As they say, you have to pick your battles. He just may surprise you in his second term. Don't say it'll never happen. I think the Democrat party has taken such a hard, hard left that we may again see an all Republican controlled Congress. Do you really think that the majority of the country wants this lawlessness, all the violent rioting, a packed Supreme Court?! I've heard recent talk of people abandoning the Democrat party over their now socialist leaning platform. I hope it's true and that some sensible Democrats have had enough of their recent shenanigans.

#24 fxdpntc

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

Simply not true. If the current Republican Leadership in the House were running it back then...maybe. But that's not who was in charge then.

There is theory and there is reality. I always find you'll be less disappointed, and have a better view of what's down the road,  if you pay more attention to reality.

#25 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

This is why I don't post much in these forums anymore, and if I do, it's a short message.  I'm sick of spending a good 10 to 15 minutes on a well thought out reply only to have it disappear, usually within minutes.  The mods may mean well, but they need to understand how real conversations progress.  Not everything stays on a single track and is totally black and white throughout a conversation.  We're all humans here and not robots.

I'm sure this post will disappear in 3... 2... 1...

In regards to national reciprocity.  Trump and the R's really need to throw us a bone here and find a way to get it done.

If we manage to capture the House and retain the Senate and Presidency, they'd better do it or there will be a LOT of upset gun owners.

#26 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,458 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

In regards to national reciprocity.  Trump and the R's really need to throw us a bone here and find a way to get it done.

If we manage to capture the House and retain the Senate and Presidency, they'd better do it or there will be a LOT of upset gun owners.

I hope we do recapture the house!  I think it's possible. The Democrat party has gone off the rails and careened to the very far left!

Real Americans don't want the kind of America that President Biden Harris would bring us. Let's elect Trump for another term. Give him a chance.

You have to admit, he got a lot of things done and fulfilled many campaign promises for a President that was badgered for his entire first term!

#27 fxdpntc

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

You are correct. It passed out of the House 2017 and Mitch didn't have the 60 votes and let it sit. I thought it didn't pass out of the House.  We still had a lot of Never Trumpers during this time, another reason why we lost the House.

Now that my memory is jogged, I recall a thread in here, where several believed Mitch could have used the "nuclear option" to get it through the Senate. That's not how it works. But if someone actually believes that's how it works, and can't be convinced otherwise...

#28 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

We already have national reciprocity, it is called the 2nd Amendment.  The problem is we have allowed the congress critters to abuse that right by putting limits on it. Now they want to "give us permission" to carry nation wide IF we do their song and dance plus pay the price! It is a Constitutional right and we need to act like it.

#29 mab22

• 985 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, that's a great point.  DJT has done such a great job on keeping promises, but has actually missed the boat on anything 2A.  That is sad.

Given that gun ownership has soared due to COVID, defunding police movement, and rioting. There is always the possibility that it becomes a hot topic for them after the election...

Void the FOID!

#30 mab22

• 985 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

We already have national reciprocity, it is called the 2nd Amendment.  The problem is we have allowed the congress critters to abuse that right by putting limits on it. Now they want to "give us permission" to carry nation wide IF we do their song and dance plus pay the price! It is a Constitutional right and we need to act like it.

Mic drop.....

Void the FOID!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users