Trying to renew FOID card, but photo loads sideways no matter what I do.

Strangebrew

Did you take it with an iPhone?

Does it really matter since they dont use that photo anyway?

Not an actual "iphone", but an Android phone. Can you not take them with a phone camera? I would assume that they would use it. Obviously I've aged since my last picture.
You can take with a smartphone. Some older iPhones had a rotational issue with photos which is why I asked.

A quick search shows people submitting sidewdays photos who received their license with no issue.

Not an actual "iphone", but an Android phone. Can you not take them with a phone camera? I would assume that they would use it. Obviously I've aged since my last picture.
You can take with a smartphone. Some older iPhones had a rotational issue with photos which is why I asked.

A quick search shows people submitting sidewdays photos who received their license with no issue.

I did take it with a smartphone. I don't understand why it is flipping sideways when I upload it. Something in the ISP website is flipping the picture. I guess I'll have to call the ISP on Monday and ask if it matters.

I did take it with a smartphone. I don't understand why it is flipping sideways when I upload it. Something in the ISP website is flipping the picture. I guess I'll have to call the ISP on Monday and ask if it matters.

The following might save some time and annoyance

askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

Ask_CCL@isp.state.il.us

They just use that photo to make sure you are who you say you are then use the picture on your new high tech drivers license.

The photo on my drivers license is like 8 years old, because I've been able to renew it by mail. I don't look anything like that pic. I'm 8 years older, my hair was long back then and I had a beard. Why would they not update your photo??

They just use that photo to make sure you are who you say you are then use the picture on your new high tech drivers license.

The photo on my drivers license is like 8 years old, because I've been able to renew it by mail. I don't look anything like that pic. I'm 8 years older, my hair was long back then and I had a beard. Why would they not update your photo??

Sorry I figured by now everyone would have the new drivers license.

Sorry I figured by now everyone would have the new drivers license.

I do have the new one. The one with the hologram thing. But when I renewed by mail the last time, they didn't require a new photo. It expires next May, and I'm sure I'll have to go to the DMV to renew it this time.

I don't think it matters. I sent mine sideways. I received my FOID renewal Ok.

Well, that's encouraging. Very odd that it does that. And no way to flip it after it's loaded.

One way I've been able to fix the issue in the past...

Open the photo in an editing app.. most will have a rotate option. Rotate it sideways, then rotate it back and save it.

Upload should work correctly after that.

"The following might save some time and annoyance

askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

Ask_CCL@isp.state.il.us"

AskFoid will not allow you to enter a 10 digit Foid # It cuts off at 8 digits.

eh? Its an email address.

I know, but I assumed it was the same as asking a question directly on their site using their inquiry form. It asks for your FOID #, but it must be very outdated because it only allows for 8 digits.

We assist students with their applications. This happens often. We edit the photo using crop/edit. Then save the photo. Works every time.

Is there a particular size I should crop it to? Is the flipping of the photo a glitch on the ISP site?
It doesn't matter. If the picture uploads that's all that's needed.

I don't think it matters. I sent mine sideways. I received my FOID renewal Ok.

Well, that's encouraging. Very odd that it does that. And no way to flip it after it's loaded.

One way I've been able to fix the issue in the past...

Open the photo in an editing app.. most will have a rotate option. Rotate it sideways, then rotate it back and save it.

Upload should work correctly after that.

Thanks so much for the tip. I did exactly as you suggested, and it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

After all that fuss of getting my picture to load properly for my FOID renewal, they didn't use it and are STILL using a 20 year old photo. Why???

afaik, they don't use the submitted photo. They use the photo taken with your drivers license and stored in the state system database. Basically they use the submitted photo to make sure it is same person. I guess they figured you still looked enough like the old photo.

After all that fuss of getting my picture to load properly for my FOID renewal, they didn't use it and are STILL using a 20 year old photo. Why???

afaik, they don't use the submitted photo. They use the photo taken with your drivers license and stored in the state system database. Basically they use the submitted photo to make sure it is same person. I guess they figured you still looked enough like the old photo.

I guess I should take that as a compliment then. I haven't aged so badly in the last 20 years that I'm unrecognizable.

Archived