Question re: Costco purchase

Hanagan

In a sales flier I noticed a Sig Sauer P320 RX pistol that I have been looking for to purchase.

The only problem is I refuse to pay the additional $25.00 Cook County tax. That also applies to any ammo purchase at Costco. Actually, I don't shop there any more.

Can I avoid the tax if I order online ? Can it be sent to my FFL dealer ? Any suggestions, short of paying that tax ?

Thanks for your input.

The closest Cabelas is in Hoffman Estates, Cook County. Gat Guns is on Rt. 25, about two miles west, in another county. Their prices are comparable to Cabelas, and they have a larger inventory.

The best alternative is to find an independent FFL and buy online. The online dealer will have a list of FFLs near you. You pay a transfer fee of $25 to $35, but you can buy it from any place you choose and shop for the best price. There is no sales tax on interstate purchases, but you owe the equivalent as a use tax to Illinois. All it takes is a couple of phone calls to set things up.

:laugh: Big typo in original post. I was also going to share my utter shock that thoroughly anti-gun Costco started selling firearms and ammo.

Unfortunately the only Cabela's in Illinois is in Cook County. I also refuse to pay the stupid "screw you" tax on guns and ammo. You have 2 options:

1. Buy it in Hammond, IN. That Cabela's is nice. But of course you'd have to transfer the gun to your Illinois FFL since you are looking at a handgun. It is certainly legal if you do that, but you'd have to check if Cabela's allows it (as it's more hassle for them). Easy to do for ammo though.

2. Buy online (at least for ammo.) I just have it shipped to me from Cabelas.com. If you buy it during any promotion, you can get the shipping for much less than the ammo tax. For firearms, they do let you buy it online, but I'm not sure if you have to pay the tax if you pick it up on Hoffman Estates store...

Go to the Hammond cabelas. There is an Illinois FFL that goes there a coupe times per week to pick up guns. So you don't need to pay any shipping, just his FFL transfer fee, which IIRC is $40. They have his flyer at the gun counter at Cabelas. FYI, if you buy a long gun at Hammond Cabelas you do not need to use the FFL, just go back after 24 hour wait to pick up.

Go to the Hammond cabelas. There is an Illinois FFL that goes there a coupe times per week to pick up guns. So you don't need to pay any shipping, just his FFL transfer fee, which IIRC is $40. They have his flyer at the gun counter at Cabelas. FYI, if you buy a long gun at Hammond Cabelas you do not need to use the FFL, just go back after 24 hour wait to pick up.

Did that once and it worked out great. Would rather spend a couple more bucks and give it to a private shop owner that give Her Taxwinkle 25 bucks for who knows what.

Let me see if I understand this... I need to spend $40 (FFL fee) plus gas and tolls to drive to Hammond to save $25 (Cook County gun tax). I guess that must be the new math or something. Maybe our resident accountant can explain to me how this works to my benefit.

Let me see if I understand this... I need to spend $40 (FFL fee) plus gas and tolls to drive to Hammond to save $25 (Cook County gun tax). I guess that must be the new math or something. Maybe our resident accountant can explain to me how this works to my benefit.
Hammond is also 3% cheaper sales tax than Hoffman Estates. At $500 for the gun you are break even. Hammond is closer to me than Hoffman Estates. Also, as mentioned I would spend more to not give money to the antigun lobby (crook county).

How about that? And I'm not even an accountant...

Hammond is also 3% cheaper sales tax than Hoffman Estates. At $500 for the gun you are break even. Hammond is closer to me than Hoffman Estates. Also, as mentioned I would spend more to not give money to the antigun lobby (crook county).

How about that? And I'm not even an accountant...

For me the bottom line is the bottom line. I live northwest the HE Cabelas so I would have to drive past it on I90. By time I figure in the cost of my time plus the wear on my car, gas and tolls the HE location is cheaper unless we're talking a purchase of thousands of dollars. I'm more concerned about how much money I can keep in my wallet then if Cook County gets an extra $25 from me.

It's mostly about the principle. But as madcow noted, if the gun is > $500, you're ahead due to the sales tax difference.

If price is your sole objective, I would recommend gunbroker.com, Buds Gun Shop, CheaperThanDirt, or other online large-volume seller anyway, not Cabelas. Cabelas is a great store and has reasonable prices, but there are cheaper options out there...

Archived