Chicago to tweak gun laws after another loss in the courts

Patriots & Tyrants

http://www.suntimes.com/mobile/13389907-463/city-to-revamp-gun-control-ordinance-after-loss-in-court.html

I remember hearing that Rham was going to wait for the outcome of Moore before doing anything, I guess upon further review he believes we are a long way off from concealed carry in Chicago/Illinois.

Posted · Hidden by Uncle Harley, June 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM - my link was aparently duplicate
Hidden by Uncle Harley, June 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM - my link was aparently duplicate

• here is the link to the regular article. The original link is their moble site and can only be accessed by mobile phones ( that's why you re-direct)

LOL why was that bulleted points?

The article:

"City to revamp gun-control ordinance after loss in court"

"The city of Chicago is taking another shot at a drafting a gun ordinance it hopes will pass muster with the courts.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is expected to introduce a revised ordinance Wednesday barring anyone with a misdemeanor conviction for a violent crime within five years from obtaining a city gun permit.

The proposal is a reaction to a federal judge’s ruling Tuesday striking down part of the city’s 2010 firearm ordinance.

A section of the ordinance that barred anyone convicted “in any jurisdiction” of “unlawful use of a weapon that is a firearm” was unconstitutional, U.S. District Judge Samuel Der-Yeghiayan found.

Der-Yeghiayan ruled in favor of a Chicago man who sued the city after he was denied a permit because of a misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon conviction.

Unlawful use of a weapon involves possession of a gun—not firing a weapon.

Der-Yeghiayan said Shawn Gowder’s right to bear arms under the Second Amendment was violated when the city denied him a gun permit.

Gowder was convicted of unlawful use of a weapon in 1995. At the time, the charge was a felony but was downgraded to a misdemeanor after a 1999 Illinois Supreme Court decision.

“There is something incongruent about a nonviolent person, who is not a felon but is convicted of a misdemeanor offense of simple possession of a firearm, being forever barred from exercising his constitutional right to defend himself in his own home in Chicago against felons or violent criminals,” Der-Yeghiayan wrote. “The same constitution that protects people’s right to bear arms prohibits this type of indiscriminate and arbitrary governmental regulation.”

Under the revised gun ordinance, violent felonies would permanently bar anyone from receiving a city gun permit.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Hoyle said the judge’s ruling last week was “definitely a disappointment.”

Hoyle said city officials believe the section of the ordinance in question was a “common-sense” restriction.

The city presented evidence to the judge that handgun buyers with at least one misdemeanor conviction were 7.5 times more likely to commit another offense than someone without one.

Brian Koukoutchos, an attorney for Gowder, said the revised ordinance would not affect his client. The judge has ordered the city to provide Gowder with a gun permit, he said.

Koukoutchos said the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has previously ruled that people convicted of misdemeanors involving domestic violence can be barred from obtaining a gun.

But the city could come under a new legal challenge if it denies gun permits for people convicted of other types of “violent” misdemeanors, Koukoutchos said.

The gun ordinance, which laid out how Chicagoans could obtain gun permits, was passed in 2010 after the U.S. Supreme Court threw out the city’s 28-year-old handgun ban.

“Chicago’s pattern is to fight, lose and try to throw in something new,” Koukoutchos said. “Their prospects of prevailing the next time around are no better than in the past.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/13389907-418/city-to-revamp-gun-control-ordinance-after-loss-in-court.html Updated link..sorry about that very strange.

The main point of this I think is that Chicago is gambling on CC not passing any time soon.

I listened to an interview on NPR the day of the ruling with one of Rhams top guys and he said they were going to wait on a ruling over concealed carry before doing anything. Appearently, given a few days to talk it over and discuss the matter they(The Chicago big wigs) are so confident they won't be dealing with CC in Illinois anytime soon that they are going ahead with rewriting this law.

http://www.suntimes....s-in-court.html Updated link..sorry about that very strange.

The main point of this I think is that Chicago is gambling on CC not passing any time soon.

I listened to an interview on NPR the day of the ruling with one of Rhams top guys and he said they were going to wait on a ruling over concealed carry before doing anything. Appearently, given a few days to talk it over and discuss the matter they(The Chicago big wigs) are so confident they won't be dealing with CC in Illinois anytime soon that they are going ahead with rewriting this law.

I guess they haven't asked Bud :)

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/13389907-418/city-to-revamp-gun-control-ordinance-after-loss-in-court.html

Appearently, given a few days to talk it over and discuss the matter they(The Chicago big wigs) are so confident they won't be dealing with CC in Illinois anytime soon that they are going ahead with rewriting this law.

Meh, that doesnt mean much to me. You expect "assuming arrogance" from these tyrants. They dont have anything better to do anyway.

Cant wait for rtc to pass so they can be exposed for wasting more time and tax dollars. Wonder how much money they have to waste before Chicagoans finally get upset? If they made a bonfire out back with their cash, at least they'd have something to look at for a while.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Nobody should be laughing, joking or celebrating any pre-mature victory yet. The fact that Chicago isn't swayed or put off by any court decesions should scare those of you who live in Cook County. Even in the face of imminent loss they keep regrouping to legally fu^k citizens out of their 2nd ammendment rights. They really are an enemy of the people and Constitution. They will stop at NOTHING to keep us from re-gaining our rights. Very few times will you see such a ******* of an opponent.

hmm... What are those about, David?

It's actually called "Public Safety Committee" now. It is where they discuss fire and police regulations, etc. All committee and council meetings are open to the public and you can often testify in them by submitting a slip.

Here is the City Council Meeting Calendar.

The city presented evidence to the judge that handgun buyers with at least one misdemeanor conviction were 7.5 times more likely to commit another offense than someone without one.

Where dear god are they getting these facts. Was it a special committee like the one we are still waiting on the results of gun violence from?

Where dear god are they getting these facts. Was it a special committee like the one we are still waiting on the results of gun violence from?

I applaud them...7.5 sounds exact enough to be 'truthie'.

OK, then that "data" says law-abiding citizens have an even greater reason for needing to protect themselves.

Nobody should be laughing, joking or celebrating any pre-mature victory yet. The fact that Chicago isn't swayed or put off by any court decesions should scare those of you who live in Cook County. Even in the face of imminent loss they keep regrouping to legally fu^k citizens out of their 2nd ammendment rights. They really are an enemy of the people and Constitution. They will stop at NOTHING to keep us from re-gaining our rights. Very few times will you see such a ******* of an opponent.

That is what Washington DC did after Heller 1. Just rewrote a few changes for a token compliance and stuck with their "guns," so to speak. Had to go to Heller 2 and I haven't heard much from that. Maybe someone else knows about Heller 2. . .

Regards, Drd

What about the statistics that show "lawful" gun owners are several times less likly to commit various types of violent crime. Does the City of Chicago really think gang bangers are going to go through all of the trouble to register handguns in Chicago?

http://hawaiiccw.com/gun-myths/concealed-carry-myths/people-permits-commit-crimes/

Most of this is in relation to conceal carriers but I would argue it is tougher to get a Chicago Firearms Permit than it is to get a CC permit in states like Florida, Texas or Utah. I imagine if someone did a study you would see similar results.

Archived