Need a recommendation for a good and careful gunsmith for sight install

Zaks

I need to remove sights from my Springfield XDM, install original sights, then install the sight from the XDM to my new XD mod2. I'm looking for a recommendation someone who can do a really good job without damaging the sights or the slide. Existing business with insurance that will guarantee their work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zaks

Not sure where you are located but here is a discussion on a couple in Chicago area that come recommended pretty consistently.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66104&do=findComment&comment=1094293

Glen Nyenhuis - WCK Gunsmithing - Elmwood Park - 708-452-1315

Paul Gibertini - Great Guns Armory - 25641 Wolf's Crossing - Plainfield - 815-685-2047

Thanks guys. I'm near O'Hare but don't mind traveling a bit.

I have used the gunsmith at Maxons (very near O'Hare) a few times for sights and triggers. Always does a good job.

Both Rob and Tim, the smiths at Maxons have both swapped out stock sights on all my guns and have done great jobs. Plus the POI after the new sights made me a better shooter. Good luck in your quest.

WD

They're actually easy to change yourself with the right tools.

I have the universal sight tool from the glock store... pays for itself if you're going to change more than just one or two sets of sights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Have you ever done XD sights? They are often about 100X bigger pita compared to S&W and Glock which are both pretty easy.

I have the universal sight tool from the glock store... pays for itself if you're going to change more than just one or two sets of sights.

Have you ever done XD sights? They are often about 100X bigger pita compared to S&W and Glock which are both pretty easy.

I heard this as well and a few local recommendations didn't make me feel too confident about doing it right on an XD, so I'll be sending my slides to James xdman.com since he's the expert on Springfield.

I've done Glock, XD, S&W, Sig, and Kahr all with the Glock tool.

It's just a press. Get it lined up, tighten it up and crank it... sights come right out.

XD, XDM, and XDS sights are the only ones I won't do myself because they're a B to get out. I really jacked up one of my Springfield's sights trying to replace them and I just dropped the gun and sights off to Glenn to fix lol. It's like Springfield uses a friggin sledgehammer to install them.

Glock sights I'll do all day long. Easiest sights to remove.

XD, XDM, and XDS sights are the only ones I won't do myself because they're a B to get out. I really jacked up one of my Springfield's sights trying to replace them and I just dropped the gun and sights off to Glenn to fix lol. It's like Springfield uses a friggin sledgehammer to install them.

Glock sights I'll do all day long. Easiest sights to remove.

I pushed a set of Trijicons (vanilla, not HD) into/onto my XDm 3.8" Compact. Right before I used it to qualify for my CCL. It was...not fun at all since that was my third set of sights. Had a set of HDs installed by a smith here and the rear sight wouldn't sit flush with the slide, pistol shot low. Had to destroy the front sight to get it out. My FFL/smith had to wreck my XDs front sight to get it out, busted the front sight globe when drifting it into the dovetail so destroyed my first set of Mepros. Naturally, he wouldn't take responsibility for the busted globe so I had to eat it and buy a set of Trijicons. XDm was a disaster. XDs was a complete mess. Never seen anything like it. Those dovetails are incredibly tight, some models have no sights that are actually made for that specific model (XDm 3.8" Compact, and others), so it's kinda poke around on forums and what have you to find the correct sights for that pistol. I believe they use an arbor press to drive in factory sights, no loctite because of the tight tolerances.

That's why I like Sigs. The slides are pretty uniform. I can put Trijicons designed for a P229 onto my P320. No hours of research to figure out what I need.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I've also heard Maxon Shooters Supplies does good work, although I found their staff to be severely lacking in customer service (i.e. rude, curt, unhelpful, dismissive, etc.) so I personally wouldn't give them my business ever again, regardless of how good their gunsmith team is. But that's just me, your experience may be different.

I've also heard Maxon Shooters Supplies does good work, although I found their staff to be severely lacking in customer service (i.e. rude, curt, unhelpful, dismissive, etc.) so I personally wouldn't give them my business ever again, regardless of how good their gunsmith team is. But that's just me, your experience may be different.

Sorry for you experience, but I go to Maxon's very frequently and have always found their staff to be friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. I have also used their gunsmith several times - same there... friendly and knowledgeable.

Archived