Responding to CCL Review Board Request for Statement

Waiting very patiently here for 10 months already. Getting sick of a letter I received every single month, stating that they will need an additional 30 days. However, I am glad that it is not a denying letter :-), in addition, I know mam Molly and the members here have my back. Thank you, and good luck to all of us!

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and a relatively new gun owner. I applied for my conceal carry on June 4th and after almost 3 months I received a letter saying I was under a board review due to an objection submitted by a police department. I live in Cook County in a Suburb and was arrested 3 weeks after I applied for speeding and has the ticket was dismissed not even a month later. I was reading up on what Molly was saying about if after 3 months of extension from the state, there would be something I could do. Not sure if I misread, but if someone could correct me. So far after reading and watching videos, I wish I was more patient and got that arrest expunged. Any advice? Thanks.

-Majd

Not much can be down about being under board review except wait to hear from the board. If you get a letter asking for a response, be sure to read the other topic that offers suggestion on how to respond to the board.

• 1 month later...

hey you guys im new here wondering if you guys could lend a helping hand. so i checked the isp website today and this the objection they had from the police department below

Date of Request Request Details 10/27/2020 3:47:11 PM CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT: Officer Mark Brzezicki on behalf of Superintendent David O. Brown of the Chicago Police Department, objects to the issuance of a concealed carry license to the applicant Otis McDonald, based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or others or a threat to public safety. In support of the objection, be advised that Chicago Police Department reports reflect the following: [6/28/2019]- Domestic Battery - listed as offender who punched victim several times causing injury. [5/13/2005]- Battery - listed as offender who punched the victim in the head. [11/1/2004]- Battery - listed as offender who put his hands in victim's pockets and pushed victim . []

any suggestion on how i should to handle this

hey you guys im new here wondering if you guys could lend a helping hand. so i checked the isp website today and this the objection they had from the police department below

Date of Request Request Details 10/27/2020 3:47:11 PM CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT: Officer Mark Brzezicki on behalf of Superintendent David O. Brown of the Chicago Police Department, objects to the issuance of a concealed carry license to the applicant Otis McDonald, based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or others or a threat to public safety. In support of the objection, be advised that Chicago Police Department reports reflect the following: [6/28/2019]- Domestic Battery - listed as offender who punched victim several times causing injury. [5/13/2005]- Battery - listed as offender who punched the victim in the head. [11/1/2004]- Battery - listed as offender who put his hands in victim's pockets and pushed victim . []

any suggestion on how i should to handle this

Helpful suggestions about responding to the board - http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66414

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO! I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but here it goes!

I applied for my CCL in July and two weeks ago it went from 'under review ' to 'under board review ' I have been checking the mail daily and have not received any documentation from the objecting agency.

I am concerned I will miss my window to send in my appeal, which I believe is the first step? Is there anything I should do right away? Or just wait to get something in the mail? Obviously everything is backed up do to current circumstance.

Thank you for any advice!

I applied for my CCL in July and two weeks ago it went from 'under review ' to 'under board review ' I have been checking the mail daily and have not received any documentation from the objecting agency.

I am concerned I will miss my window to send in my appeal, which I believe is the first step? Is there anything I should do right away? Or just wait to get something in the mail? Obviously everything is backed up do to current circumstance.

Wait for the letter. I never had any of these problems with board reviews. I am as clean as a whistle. The way I found my way into this thread is research for my cousin who is under board review. This thread helped me to formulate the right response to the agency's objection. I noticed that logging into his FOID account, the language that was in the objection letter was verbatim uploaded into the FOID account under the CCL category. So, right where you see in the area where it says under board review, that is where language of the objection was inserted that matched exactly the letter. Off to the right side of that paragraph was a hyperlink that is easily overlooked, the hyperlink is the "Respond" link so that you can upload your objection to the objection.

Give it time. If you do NOT see LANGUAGE under your CCL status section outlining the reasons for the objection, then you have not missed and window as of yet. Technically, who cares about the letter. Now I know that the letter, verbatim, down to every letter, is pasted into your account. If at any given point in time you see this language pop up and then you see a "Respond" link, you can act upon that immediately. I tell you this because when my cousin got the letter, he barely missed the date by a day or so. Apparently his objection letter was dated one date but the postmark date of the letter was way off; like the letter was typed, printed, dated, then sat in a corner and then deliberately mailed later than what was appropriate. ISP doesn't care for citizens to have a fighting chance to have active CCLs. They are biased. Definitely keep looking into your account daily, 7 days/week.

Earlier in this thread there was advice given by a legal team from this website on you objecting the constitutionality of the agency's objection. I strongly encourage you to cut copy and paste that whole section that was posted earlier in this thread into your letter.

I hope this helps. Wish you well.

Wait for the letter. I never had any of these problems with board reviews. I am as clean as a whistle. The way I found my way into this thread is research for my cousin who is under board review. This thread helped me to formulate the right response to the agency's objection. I noticed that logging into his FOID account, the language that was in the objection letter was verbatim uploaded into the FOID account under the CCL category. So, right where you see in the area where it says under board review, that is where language of the objection was inserted that matched exactly the letter. Off to the right side of that paragraph was a hyperlink that is easily overlooked, the hyperlink is the "Respond" link so that you can upload your objection to the objection.

Give it time. If you do NOT see LANGUAGE under your CCL status section outlining the reasons for the objection, then you have not missed and window as of yet. Technically, who cares about the letter. Now I know that the letter, verbatim, down to every letter, is pasted into your account. If at any given point in time you see this language pop up and then you see a "Respond" link, you can act upon that immediately. I tell you this because when my cousin got the letter, he barely missed the date by a day or so. Apparently his objection letter was dated one date but the postmark date of the letter was way off; like the letter was typed, printed, dated, then sat in a corner and then deliberately mailed later than what was appropriate. ISP doesn't care for citizens to have a fighting chance to have active CCLs. They are biased. Definitely keep looking into your account daily, 7 days/week.

Earlier in this thread there was advice given by a legal team from this website on you objecting the constitutionality of the agency's objection. I strongly encourage you to cut copy and paste that whole section that was posted earlier in this thread into your letter.

I hope this helps. Wish you well.

Sorry for my typos.... I wrote all that on a cell phone screen.

Another thing to take note, after you click on that "Respond" link to respond to the objection, there will be no more opportunity to return and modify or change or update your response. The link disappears along with the agency's objection language - that disappears too. At least for my cousin's account it did.

I wrote up a very good argument for my cousin. I've been locked in litigious battles this year representing myself, having devoted a full-time schedule to learning pro-se litigations, etc. I can tell you that you definitely want to be very detailed in your argument, rebuttal any accusations if they are incorrect, cite statutes, cite other cases, etc. If you in fact are guilty of whatever they say, REPENT in the letter - lol. I don't know what they have on you, but what they had on my cousin was easily defeated by me. The agency's objections kind of cancelled themselves out. So I capitalized on that. He's still under board review but I'm confident he'll get approved. One of the two (adult) objections wasn't a crime of any kind, it was cannabis a decade ago. Lol....a small little bag. But it was in that arrest that supposedly CPD stated he was a self-admitted Latin King gang banger, which is not true. I pulled up a class action lawsuit that CPD had recently settled a number of weeks ago back in 9/2/2020 from a class-action lawsuit that launched a couple years ago dealing with exactly this: discriminatory, erroneous, racially mis-profiling gang database that is plagued with inaccuracies by which the former superintendent Eddie Johnson admitted to. Citing that class action lawsuit will help. I placed the burden on CPD to exercise their resources to prove that he ever was in a gang to begin with.

Wish you well.

I misspoke. I said one of the two adult objections was not a crime. Actually not one single arrest was ever a crime for my cousin. They only objected three lousy incidents throughout his 25-year span. He's 37 now and clean with no rap sheet at all. The first incident that they quoted in the objection letter was when he was 17 years old that involved a BB gun which was not even his. In fact, the responding officer extracted the BB rifle out of the pants of a 16-year-old minor. this is evidence that my cousin had nothing to do with the BB gun, but he got arrested for being 17 years old, and at that time it was deemed that my cousin was an adult responsible over the 16-year-old's behavior. This is one of the objections listed on the letter. This is what they are saying that gives them reasonable suspicion of my cousin being a danger to himself, danger to others, and a threat to Public safety. Like, really?? Because he was not adequately accountable over a 16-year-old boy's actions involving a BB gun shooting at cars (which is what the letter states, not even shooting at people), you're going to now say that my cousin is a danger to self to others, and a threat to public safety? I laughed when I read that because we all know that law enforcement extracted the tool from the pants of another individual, which does not implicate my cousin as being a danger to public society as he was not the operator nor involved in the incident. He merely was supposed to be a better "babysitter".

My cousin can easily bring up a character reference letter from one of his friends, a Chicago police officer of more than 20 years. Lol

I applied for my CCL last November, 2019. By February 2020 my status changed from under review to under board review. Since then I have been getting letters from the ISP for an additional 30 days until last month,they told me which law enforcement agency had objected my CCL and asking me for a statement. All this months I had been asking mam MOLLY for help. MAM MOLLY was always there for me. That extra statement that mam MOLLY told us to include in our STATEMENT, that helps a lot. This morning I checked my status and it changed from Under Board Review to Under Review, then after 30 minutes, it finally changed from Under Review to "ACTIVE"

YEHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...After a whole year of waiting and being nervous, finally they approved my CCL. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MAM MOLLY FOR ALL THE HELP. MAM MOLLYYYYYYYYY...THANK YOU SO MUCH, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT YOU. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE PATIENTS.

`-

I applied for my CCL last November, 2019. By February 2020 my status changed from under review to under board review. Since then I have been getting letters from the ISP for an additional 30 days until last month,they told me which law enforcement agency had objected my CCL and asking me for a statement. All this months I had been asking mam MOLLY for help. MAM MOLLY was always there for me. That extra statement that mam MOLLY told us to include in our STATEMENT, that helps a lot. This morning I checked my status and it changed from Under Board Review to Under Review, then after 30 minutes, it finally changed from Under Review to "ACTIVE"

YEHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...After a whole year of waiting and being nervous, finally they approved my CCL. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MAM MOLLY FOR ALL THE HELP. MAM MOLLYYYYYYYYY...THANK YOU SO MUCH, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT YOU. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE PATIENTS.

`-

Congratulations. :yes1:

`-

Congratulations! I just woke up one millisecond ago and this is the first news I read....best way to wake up. Happy for you. I used the same info that Molly told us to use so I'm hopeful it'll work. Congrats, again.

I applied for my CCL, included doing fingerprints, in July. Late last week, I received a CCLRB letter offering an opportunity to respond to an objection from Law Enforcement. The sole objection came from the Chicago PD for a 2012 incident that was dismissed, and I subsequently had the matter expunged (including confirmation of processing the expungement order by both CPD and ISP). Somehow CPD provided this information anyway, so I have to respond.

The suggestions at the beginning of this thread are great and I'm trying to include as much as possible. I had a couple of small questions though:

1. I don't have any friends or family that hold notable community positions, but was still going to try to have a few co-workers provide statements on my behalf. However, it might be a harder sell, to ask them to go out to a notary currently. Anyone have a good experience with a remote notary service?
  2. Has anyone tried framing the statements just as a signed Declaration vs. a notarized affidavit?
  3. For my own statement in response, should I get that notarized?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I applied for my CCL, included doing fingerprints, in July. Late last week, I received a CCLRB letter offering an opportunity to respond to an objection from Law Enforcement. The sole objection came from the Chicago PD for a 2012 incident that was dismissed, and I subsequently had the matter expunged (including confirmation of processing the expungement order by both CPD and ISP). Somehow CPD provided this information anyway, so I have to respond.

The suggestions at the beginning of this thread are great and I'm trying to include as much as possible. I had a couple of small questions though:

1. I don't have any friends or family that hold notable community positions, but was still going to try to have a few co-workers provide statements on my behalf. However, it might be a harder sell, to ask them to go out to a notary currently. Anyone have a good experience with a remote notary service?
  2. Has anyone tried framing the statements just as a signed Declaration vs. a notarized affidavit?

I have a quick question if you don't mind. Did you apply July of this year or last year? Thanks.

`-

Congrats!!!! Molly you're doing amazing work. God bless you ma'am.

• I don't have any friends or family that hold notable community positions, but was still going to try to have a few co-workers provide statements on my behalf. However, it might be a harder sell, to ask them to go out to a notary currently. Anyone have a good experience with a remote notary service?
  • Has anyone tried framing the statements just as a signed Declaration vs. a notarized affidavit?
  • For my own statement in response, should I get that notarized?

Good morning,

You don't need a notary but I used one anyway. Any bank or currency exchange. I personally used the currency exchange and paid a dollar to get the notary to stamp and sign off on the affidavit I submitted to CCLRB.

I have a quick question if you don't mind. Did you apply July of this year or last year? Thanks.

It was July of this year. From reading other's experience, sounds like I'm lucky.

It was July of this year. From reading other's experience, sounds like I'm lucky.

Wow, thats amazing... I hope they do mine sooner than later. I had applied in the beginning of June and live in Cook County as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I applied for CCL in July and just got my letter today from ISP saying they received an objection and is being submitted to the review board. Will issue decision within 30 days unless another 30 days requested etc... Just letting everyone know that something happened (which I consider progress in the world today)

Just double checking. There is nothing I can do untill they send me a letter with the objecting agency (of which I can respond to) or they deny my request (and then I can submit an appeal) correct? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share my story regarding my CCL renewal and an objection that was filed- In Oct 2019 I accidentally let my CCL expire and instead of renewing, had to start with a fresh application including classes, etc. I took my time and finally submitted my CCL renewal to the State in July (w/prints) my FOID is valid for another 5 years...

After several emails and voicemails I receive a letter stating there was an LEA objection which shocked me. My record is 100% clean and clear and I just had an ISP background check 2 weeks ago for the purchase of a new Glock for the range. Anyways, I found out what the objection was and it's literally ridiculous. 5 years ago I finished cleaning my new Glock 42 (conceal carry) after breaking it in at the range. Upon re-holstering into it's kydex sheath the gun discharged to my shock. In retrospect what happened was a freak occurrence: I was wearing a light jacket that had a bungee drawstring with plastic clamps on each side. The perfect storm took place when the black plastic circular clamp hanging on the cord seemingly wedged into the trigger guard as I was re-holstering and created enough force to essentially "pull" the trigger. Thankfully I always re-holster carefully with the barrel pointed away from me and towards the floor. There was 10 inches of concrete in my condo thankfully and a .380 barely made it through the inch of carpet lol. After the gun went off I figured I would play it safe and call 911 to report an accidental discharge in case any neighbors called in due to the loud noise. I found out later no one had called in (sounded like a door slamming to be honest) I told the dispatch operator what had happened, that I was the legal and registered owner of the firearm, and I was safe and the round had been accounted for. She thanked me for calling and said she doubted the police would want to stop by. Well... 10 minutes later 2 bozo CPD officers show up and ask to look around. I let them in and re-explain what happened. I showed them my FOID and CCL and they saw the round hadn't penetrated past the carpet. To my shock they put cuffs on me and told me I was being arrested for reckless discharge of a firearm! I couldn't believe it. They took me to the 18th district where the watch commander apologized to me for such a stupid arrest and told me I should never have been brought in. Several cops came by and asked if I was the guy who called the cops on myself, laughing. One Lt. told me that he knew I was a stand up and honest guy trying to do the right thing by calling in and reporting the discharge, but that you should never, ever, call the police on yourself, even if you've committed no criminal act. He said no one else had called in to complain of a gun shot and if they had I should have told any responding officers I didn't know what they were talking about, etc. and not let them in-they would never bother trying to obtain a warrant if everything seemed OK. I swear to God he actually told me this. Another officer told me the cops at that district regularly discharge their firearms while holstering and re-holstering and they never write any of them up. Long story short, my case was dismissed by a judge who found the arrest ridiculous and my file was expunged- in fact I was later told I was never actually entered into the system or technically booked because the officer processing intake felt bad for me and thought it was NOT an arrestable offense at all. So, the objection stated "reckless discharge, individual accidentally fired gun into the floor" or something like that. I responded the the ISP online explaining what happened in full and the ridiculous nature of the objection but am wondering if I need to go through all the pain in the a** trouble of getting a copy of the report and trying to get it corrected/amended to properly reflect that it was in fact NOT a reckless discharge at all and no crime was committed. I was told to request a recording of the 911 call and open an internal affairs investigation if they are unwilling to help. My status is still showing under review as I just submitted my reply/response yesterday. Anyone here have any suggestions of how I should proceed? Thanks!

Edited by dbond