101st General Assembly 2019 & 2020 Bills

mauserme

Is it safe to say that a majority of Democratic Illinois lawmakers just don’t care about our 2nd amendment rights? Lol

After reading these proposed bills I think it's safe to say that our lawmakers are out of their ******* minds.

And these aren't even reflecting changes in the shell bills they are submitting.

Is it safe to say that a majority of Democratic Illinois lawmakers just don’t care about our 2nd amendment rights? Lol

After reading these proposed bills I think it's safe to say that our lawmakers are out of their ******* minds.

And these aren't even reflecting changes in the shell bills they are submitting.

That's the scary part. I think it's going to be a long year. I think we all know how this plays out. Bad gun bills we are forced to compromise on. Good gun bills die in committee. Thanks Mike Madigan. Rant off.

I don't know if I agree with that, because sometimes the thing that the MOST needy people require MOST is the ability to defend themselves against predatory criminals, and survival due to self-defense is a need that supersedes even eating, in the immediate scope.

I thought about that, but I don't think our fight is to provide firearms at no expense anymore than we would fight to provide cars, phones, etc at no expense.

Besides, money is fungible.

Actually, since the right to keep and bear arms is just that, a right, and cars, phones, et cetera, are things that are material privileges, I am ALL for poor and disadvantaged people receiving subsidies to be able to obtain the means to defend themselves. I'd rather my taxes go to that than a lot of other things—pretty much to that than just about ANYTHING.

HB5170 INS-SURPLUS LINES-FIREARMS

Well that's a piece of work. The bill requires insurance while limiting the options to purchase insurance.

1. Kinda like Obama care?

2. Isn’t that forcing you/us into commerce for a right?

Example, in order to be a newspaper/reporter/blogger/blogger (insert other kewl terms) you have to have a state license and defamation and or liability insurance.

I have not checked yet for any changes to the ILGA website witness slip pages or process this year. To encourage my laziness, do you know if things are the same and this archived post is still a valid good reference?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32865

lol You made me go look. No changes that I was able to find.

HB5671 FOID - Appeal was filed today:

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that notwithstanding any prohibitions on granting relief from obtaining a Firearm Owner's Identification Card because of federal law, the Director of the Illinois State Police, or the circuit court for various violations, may grant relief when the federal prohibition on possession of firearms is predicated solely on a provision of the Criminal Code of 2012, including, but not limited to, possession of a firearm by a felon, that would no longer apply to the applicant upon granting of relief under the appeals provisions of the Act. Effective immediately.

I added Senate amendment 1 to SB3098 to our list of bills under review today.

This amendment adds the language in SB3099 combining funds for various firearm services, to a previously unrelated bill combining vehicle maintenance funds. It does not appear to co-mingle the funds for firearm services and vehicle maintenance.

I'm doing a little house keeping today.

SB2260 State Police - FOID Revocation has been addded to the list of bills we oppose in the Spring 2020 Session. This is rolling in from last Spring. It was assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee last Thursday.

SA1 to S2328, SA2 to SB2328, and SA3 to SB2328 have been added, still in the list of bills we're watching.

HB2883 FOID - Firearm Purchase Database has been added to our Spring 2020 list of bills we oppose. It's also a bill from last year, assigned to the House Judiciary - Criminal Committee today.

I could not find a witness slip link to this bill

It's only been assigned, but not posted to a hearing date yet. Too soon for witness slips.

3/3/20

SB3236 (SCA 0002) PRIVATE SECURITY-FIREARMS

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3236&GAID=15&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=124720&SessionID=108

Senate Committee Amendment No. 2

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the introduced bill with the following changes: Deletes amendatory changes in the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 concerning armed proprietary security force. Instead, provides that all armed employees of the registered proprietary security force must complete all the firearm training requirements of the provisions (rather than 20-hour firearm training). In provisions amending the Criminal Code of 2012, changes the hours required of training for a security officer and firearm training for a person to be eligible for an exception from the use of a deadly weapon.

• 6 months later...

New bill filed today:

HB5843 Firearm Owners ID - Response

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that if an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card has not been approved or denied within 30 days after its application has been received, it shall automatically be approved by the Illinois State Police. Provides that if a renewal application has not been approved or denied within 60 business days, it shall be automatically renewed by the Illinois State Police.

New bill filed today:

HB5843 Firearm Owners ID - Response

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that if an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card has not been approved or denied within 30 days after its application has been received, it shall automatically be approved by the Illinois State Police. Provides that if a renewal application has not been approved or denied within 60 business days, it shall be automatically renewed by the Illinois State Police.

What are the chances? Is this just to make a point?

I think if there even is a Veto Session this year, it will be busy with some of the police reform and other issues being taken up in recent subject matter hearings.

I think, and hope, you are correct especially for a session thats only scheduled for 6 days. I believe all of the 100+ gun bills, pro and anti, submitted in 2020 are all sitting waiting for rules or assignment committees although they might try being a bit sneaky on SB1966.

ETA Maybe its been a while, but I see they have added the ability to submit written committee testimony and to review on the ILGA site.

• 2 weeks later...

And another Rep Skillicorn offering, filed today:

HB5849 FOID & Conceaed Carry - Lifetime

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that the duration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall be the lifetime of the holder of the Card (rather than 10 years). Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that the duration of a concealed carry license is the lifetime of the licensee (rather than 5 years). Provides that a Firearm Owner's Identification Card or concealed carry license issued before the effective date of the amendatory Act shall be valid during the Card holder's or licensee's lifetime regardless of the expiration date on the Card or license.

Its the perfect time for a bill like this, and any legislator looking at whats happening right now who has a thread of common sense would support it. Removing renewal requirements would lift a huge burden off the back of ISP/FSB, while apparently having no impact on public safety.

Why no impact? Right now the State is saying a person can have a valid card for 18 months after their current card expires, or the State emergency expires. If the emergency ended today, and your card just expired today, thats nearly 1/3 the life of a normal CCL card that they admit they dont need renewals to protect public safety. And its not ending any time soon, meaning people will be out there with cards that have been expired for maybe 2+ years. Whats the point of a renewal then, if they can apparently still monitor the status of a licensed person?

Its always argued that we need renewals for public safety reasons. The 18 month allowance throws that argument in the trash.

The reality is, its nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. Which is why this bill probably goes nowhere.

Archived