Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

Molly B.

Today Judge Myerscough scheduled oral arguments for Aug 22:

"Docket Text: TEXT ORDER: The parties' cross motions for summary judgment [43], [45] are set for oral argument on Tuesday, August 22, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in Courtroom 1 in Springfield before Judge Sue E. Myerscough. Entered by Judge Sue E. Myerscough on 7/28/2017. (GL, ilcd)"

This comes as a bit of a surprise to me... I think many of us anticipated a ruling any day now.

Paint (it) red as in "paint the town red?" The ILGA went on a reckless debauch, a wild spree with the UUW? Interesting...that almost sounds like she's irritated by the State placing obscene restrictions on non-residents obtaining a CCL and failing to exempt military personnel who are stationed in Illinois (or classify them as Illinois residents for purposes of the Act).

This is gonna be a very interesting hearing. Is her duty station still Springfield? I think there's only one district judge per courthouse in the Central District (all Dem appointees).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the street address of the court where oral arguements will be made? I see 600 E. Monroe Street in google maps. Is this correct? I haven't been to the Capitol since I was a kid but am seriously thinking of driving down (3+ hours) for this one.

Yes, you have the correct street address.

Does anyone have the street address of the court where oral arguements will be made? I see 600 E. Monroe Street in google maps. Is this correct? I haven't been to the Capitol since I was a kid but am seriously thinking of driving down (3+ hours) for this one.

There is a parking garage at the corner of 7th and Monroe, almost right across the street from the courthouse. I think parking costs $7.50 for the day? Not sure, it's been awhile since we were there last. There is also a public parking lot on the corner of 8th and Adams St., parking fee isn't very much and is only about 2 1/2 blocks from the courthouse.

Yes, you have the correct street address.

Thanks. Looking forward to the oral arguments.

There is a parking garage at the corner of 7th and Monroe, almost right across the street from the courthouse. I think parking costs $7.50 for the day? Not sure, it's been awhile since we were there last. There is also a public parking lot on the corner of 8th and Adams St., parking fee isn't very much and is only about 2 1/2 blocks from the courthouse.

$7.50? It was $35 when I parked in the Loop for the Appeals court. The difference will pay for my gas there and back.

Parking fee for the parking lot was only $3.00 for about 3 hrs.!

Judicial challenges are probably the most interesting and exciting things that we, as IllinoisCarry, undertakes. Today was no different. The hearing lasted more than two hours. The judge seemed to give each side a fair amount of time to present arguments with little interruption from the bench, except to ask questions for clarity or additional information. I look forward to the transcript being available and posted here.

We had three plaintiffs present - Col. Kevin Culp, Doug Zylstra, and Paul Heslin.

Today was a great experience. We had three of the individual plaintiffs present in addition to IllinoisCarry (Molly B.).

I won't try to predict Judge Myerscough's ruling, but she dropped a few comments that suggested a warm reception to plaintiffs' arguments. Of course, I was optimistic re: CA7 outcome, so no predictions are coming from me on this one!

I agree that today was a good day as I had the opportunity to again see and talk with David, KWC and Molly B. Thanks for stating the course and fighting on behalf of non residents. I have many Hoosiers as friends, customers and students that are anxiously awaiting the decision. Let's pray it is the correct one.

Today was a great experience. We had three of the individual plaintiffs present in addition to IllinoisCarry (Molly B.). I won't try to predict Judge Myerscough's ruling, but she dropped a few comments that suggested a warm reception to plaintiffs' arguments. Of course, I was optimistic re: CA7 outcome, so no predictions are coming from me on this one!

I am curious, was there anything new or different from what has been in the various briefs and responses? Did the judge have any questions to explore a particular point with either side? Just wondering if there was a sense that the oral argument was actually of value as opposed to just a stall tactic.

Today was a great experience. We had three of the individual plaintiffs present in addition to IllinoisCarry (Molly B.). I won't try to predict Judge Myerscough's ruling, but she dropped a few comments that suggested a warm reception to plaintiffs' arguments. Of course, I was optimistic re: CA7 outcome, so no predictions are coming from me on this one!

I am curious, was there anything new or different from what has been in the various briefs and responses? Did the judge have any questions to explore a particular point with either side? Just wondering if there was a sense that the oral argument was actually of value as opposed to just a stall tactic.

If Judge Myerscough wanted to stall she would simply have done nothing indefinitely, so the fact she had a hearing at all means she wanted to know more on a few issues.

Our attorney has asked that we (plaintiffs) limit our public discussion about the hearing. We may get a transcript at some point and should be able to post it when received. Sorry to disappoint, but other than a general statement that we felt it went well, I can't comment any further in this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing news... Judge Myerscough ruled in favor of the defendants. Bummer.

attachicon.gif61 - SJ Opinion of 091817.pdf

Wow, this is some of the most circuitous, tortured language BS that I have ever seen in the justification of the denial. With multiple citations of the Heller and Ezell cases, and the types of scrutiny they require to be placed on restrictions of Constitutional rights, this should not be even allowed. Yet, essentially, the judge pretty much said, "All of that precedent notwithstanding, I'm going to deny this and ignore the previous legal support for the appropriate level of scrutiny to be applied."

I am all for State's rights, but the State of Illinois does not have the right, although it wants to and believes it does, to arbitrarily deny Constitutional rights the way it does, simply because the powers in charge do not believe that average citizens should have access to firearms.

Send another appeal up to CA7. Hopefully Amy "The Dogma Lies Within Her" Barrett will be Circuit Judge Barrett by the time the appeal is filed. With Posner gone and Williams taking senior status, it's gonna be VERY interesting. Even more interesting if Brennan is somehow seated in time to be drawn to hear the appeal.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived