Range at 355

Hoss454

I was looking around the Range at 355 a couple of weeks ago and I noticed one range rule that bothered me. No one without a FOID card permitted on the range. Not everyone I take to a range has a FOID card as some have never shot before. Not very inviting to someone that is new to firearms.

Well that's good to know. Was going to take some friends who are interested but own nothing. That's in their town so I'd have gone there. Looks like that's out.

Anyone know about kids? GAT does with the class being taken there. But not sure of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was looking around the Range at 355 a couple of weeks ago and I noticed one range rule that bothered me. No one without a FOID card permitted on the range. Not everyone I take to a range has a FOID card as some have never shot before. Not very inviting to someone that is new to firearms.

Yea, this is pretty ****.

I have a ton of friends that I've often invited to come shooting with me and the whole needing to wait 3 months to get a FOID card just to shoot at a range that isn't 2 hours away really turns people off from firearms in general. I myself got into firearms and submitted my FOID card application and by the time it came I'd already forgotten all about even applying for it.

The FOID is the single biggest turn off to entry into shooting sports and firearms in the state, and if we really want to see gun rights expand in Illinois it needs to either be quicker / easier to obtain a FOID or straight up repealed.

+1

Most ranges want one person with a FOID per lane. Some will not rent you a gun unless every one has a FOID (GAT). But not allowing anyone without a FOID on the Range is very unfriendly. Some of my friends do not show but come with me to the range and almost every range allows them.

One of the other things that's nice about 355 is that they're really pretty liberal with their military/police/fire/first responder discount. I walked in wearing my VFW jacket a while back and they asked to see my VFW membership card. I forked it over with a questioning look, and they gave me the discount on the range time that day. They also put it into the computer so that I'd get the discount whenever I came back.

So, if you fit into any of those categories and can prove it, make sure you take advantage of their discounts.

I love the place, but they also have a bizarre policy that you can't rent a gun unless you bring along a gun that you own. You'd think a FOID card would suffice, but no.

I guess these places think that lessens the risk of suicide by rental gun. At least thats better than the ones requiring you have a second person with you to do a rental

I love the place, but they also have a bizarre policy that you can't rent a gun unless you bring along a gun that you own. You'd think a FOID card would suffice, but no.

I guess these places think that lessens the risk of suicide by rental gun. At least thats better than the ones requiring you have a second person with you to do a rental

Hmm I like that policy. If I go it's by myself or with my son. I mean I walk in with 3-5 guns yet I can't rent one. I mean really? Good to know 355 allows that. I need to check it out for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be clear...355 allows both pistol and rifle on the same range? At the same price??

Their website only mentions:
RIFLES ALLOWED
The Range at 355 is pleased to allow your rifles up to .30 caliber (3300 fps) and we carry a large variety of AR platform rifles and other long-guns.

They make no distinction between ranges.

One bummer I see in their FAQ:

Can I carry concealed at The Range at 355?
Yes, you are welcome to carry concealed, however, you may not remove your weapon while in any area of the building. All weapons used on the range must be transported in a case to and from the range.

GAT/A2 have no problem with this. I can yoink my carry firearm, switch to target ammo, blast away, switch ammo and reholster.

I have yet to check the place out. I've been going to A2 mainly because I can shoot rifle/pistol for $21 on the same 25yrd range with no issues.

Additionally, GAT/A2 are simply much closer to me. But, I'd still like to make the pilgrimage to check the place out.

To be clear...355 allows both pistol and rifle on the same range? At the same price??

Their website only mentions:RIFLES ALLOWEDThe Range at 355 is pleased to allow your rifles up to .30 caliber (3300 fps) and we carry a large variety of AR platform rifles and other long-guns.

Yes, you are welcome to carry concealed, however, you may not remove your weapon while in any area of the building. All weapons used on the range must be transported in a case to and from the range.

GAT/A2 have no problem with this. I can yoink my carry firearm, switch to target ammo, blast away, switch ammo and reholster.

I have yet to check the place out. I've been going to A2 mainly because I can shoot rifle/pistol for $21 on the same 25yrd range with no issues.

Additionally, GAT/A2 are simply much closer to me. But, I'd still like to make the pilgrimage to check the place out.

Yep. No difference in price. The only gotcha is no bench rest/bipod rifle at 355.

Bri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their website only mentions:

RIFLES ALLOWED

The Range at 355 is pleased to allow your rifles up to .30 caliber (3300 fps) and we carry a large variety of AR platform rifles and other long-guns.

I've been planning to check out 355. Based on their silly conceal carry rule, now I won't.

I went for the first time on Sunday. Was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the place and saw how clean and well organized the store was, and then even more surprised walking onto the range. It was actually warm in there.....warm enough for a t shirt......on Sunday when we were in the single digits. It was also very easy to breathe and I didn't have coal miners nose after coming out of there.

Their website only mentions:RIFLES ALLOWEDThe Range at 355 is pleased to allow your rifles up to .30 caliber (3300 fps) and we carry a large variety of AR platform rifles and other long-guns.

Yep. No difference in price. The only gotcha is no bench rest/bipod rifle at 355.

Bri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that suxors!

At A2 I can at least 'bend over and rest my elbows' on the table.

I suppose I'll keep my rifle time at A2.

If/when I check them out it will only be a pistol day...

Yet that may not come soon considering how I recently picked up a CMMG 22LR conversion kit and recently scored a bunch of 22lr ammo. I'm really enjoying the reliability and functionality of shooting 22lr thru my regular 5.56 setup. Its nice to put 150+ rounds downrange during a range visit with most being 22lr and burning only one mag of .223/5.56. My wallet thanks me. :)

Archived