Recommend rimfire rifle

TRJ

I'm looking for a rifle.

I have .22 in my stash, so that's a perk for.22 suggestions...but I'm not married to it.

I'd like it to be inexpensive, but good quality. I value accuracy. This will be a training/target rifle. I don't hunt rodents. I'm biased toward detatchable box magazines, but not concerned if bolt, lever, or semi-auto. I love a beautiful wood stock, but favor low weight. Whatever the stock, it needs to accept a bipod and sling. A picatinny rail section for optic mounting is preferred.

Will be shot by kids (pre-teen) and adults.

Savage MkII FVT.

Hear me out. It meets several of your needs.

Box mag

Bolt action with superb out of the box accuracy

Target peep/ globe sights from the factory.

It is missing the wood you desire, but a call to Boyds remedies that quickly.

They make excellent target/training rifles. Below is mine that I use for biathlon type shooting.

4ff02af1ca67553fb27d2ca970914637.jpg

I bought a CZ 455 from a member on here I've been very happy with. Bolt action, detachable box mag, scope, and sling. The wood is nicer then any of my other wood stocks in the safe, even on much more expensive guns.

They are available from the factory in several different configs so you should be able to check your needs out of the box.

What sold me was the modularity including accessory barrels to swap to other rimfire cartridges, aftermarket triggers, optics and iron sight options, etc. Very easy to fully take apart, which is important since 22 is such a dirty cartridge.

I'm a bit of a contrarian, so I didn't want just a 10/22. I also wanted something that was bolt action for when my kids get to shooting age to start out with. Otherwise they'll just waste ammo instead of learning marksmanship.

I have two .22LR rifles. The Ruger 10/22 and the Rossi R22 which is a clone of the Mossberg 702 plinkster. I've put about 1000 rounds through the 10/22 and about 300 through the R22. The 10/22 was used for an Appleseed event, and the R22 was just putting holes in paper for fun. Both rifles have been reliable, no problems at all. The pros for the 10/22 are the aftermarket and the mags aren't expensive for what they are. The R22 has next to no aftermarket and the 10 round mags are $20 for a folded sheetmetal mag. If you get the Rossi for $120 like I did go for it otherwise you can find deals on the 10/22. I think I got mine for $220 this year.

the 10/22... Design is solid, it goes bang every time. They are inexpensive, been around forever, and there are parts, mods, etc out the wazoo because it is so popular and has been around forever.

No one, will EVER say the 10/22 is a bad choice for a .22, whether for hunting small game, pests, plinking, or just plain saying "i needed to own a .22"

I'm looking for a rifle.

I have .22 in my stash, so that's a perk for.22 suggestions...but I'm not married to it.

I'd like it to be inexpensive, but good quality. I value accuracy. This will be a training/target rifle. I don't hunt rodents. I'm biased toward detatchable box magazines, but not concerned if bolt, lever, or semi-auto. I love a beautiful wood stock, but favor low weight. Whatever the stock, it needs to accept a bipod and sling. A picatinny rail section for optic mounting is preferred.

Will be shot by kids (pre-teen) and adults.

Sounds like AR-15 to me.

Are you in Cook County? Make it a pistol (with a brace).

.223 through a 16" barrel is easy to shoot. If you want it light..get a pencil profile barrel.

BTW, you can get wood furniture sets for an AR as well.

Lucid_AR15_Wood_Stock_Sets.jpg

I got to looking at these a bit.

Volksquartsen makes a cool straight pull bolt gun.

https://volquartsen.com/products/1282-summit-rifle

It's like $1k, but dang I really like the concept.

I'm torn between the CZ455 and the 10/22 if I'm not buying anything to irritate my wife... But my birthday is in January and Christmas is closing in.

After re-reading your first post I have concluded that we live by different definitions of the word "inexpensive". lol

No we don't. I've got the attention span of a cocker spaniel in a squirrel preserve... I look up .22 rifles on YouTube and oooh look at that! Then I start justifying the extra expense...

I already called my wife and suggested we go shopping for a .22 tonight. She's going to keep me honest.

After re-reading your first post I have concluded that we live by different definitions of the word "inexpensive". lol

No we don't. I've got the attention span of a cocker spaniel in a squirrel preserve... I look up .22 rifles on YouTube and oooh look at that! Then I start justifying the extra expense...

I already called my wife and suggested we go shopping for a .22 tonight. She's going to keep me honest.

That statement made me laugh out loud. :P

I have two that are my faves, and they are both tack drivers.

CZ 452 Lux: it has iron sights, a dovetail mount, a euro-styled stock, the model pre-dates the 455.

Browning auto-22 from 1961, it has iron sights as well as a dovetail on the receiver. It's a takedown, and fits in a pokerchip case.
They still make this rifle, From japan instead of Belgium, and just as nice, the only real change is no more dovetail on the receiver.

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is the Marlin 795 for box-fed and the model 60 for tube-fed.

You can often find these cheap used. The model 70 and the 7000 are earlier versions of the 795.

Very accurate and cheaper than the 10/22 which is also an excellent rifle for the money but typically no more accurate out of the box.

I have two that are my faves, and they are both tack drivers.

CZ 452 Lux: it has iron sights, a dovetail mount, a euro-styled stock, the model pre-dates the 455.

Browning auto-22 from 1961, it has iron sights as well as a dovetail on the receiver. It's a takedown, and fits in a pokerchip case.

They still make this rifle, From japan instead of Belgium, and just as nice, the only real change is no more dovetail on the receiver.

I had one of those Brownings with a Nikon scope. Fun stuff. Plus, the tubular magazine is in the stock and I think it keeps the 11 rounds legal. ( Maybe).

Personally, if price is not an issue I'd go with CZ. They really are some of the best for the dollar. That being said, I don't own one myself because I didn't want to spend that much on a 22 rifle.

I ended up with a Savage Mark II FV, paid I think $175 out the door. I ended up dropping it in a Boyd's stock and mounting a Mueller APV on it. All said, I think I have $400 in it, so arguably maybe I should have just bought a CZ to begin with, haha. This is a group I shot my last outing of the year at 50 yards and what the gun looks like now. For the record, I'm not really a good marksman so nearly half MOA was very surprising for me and a good shooter could probably do better with the rifle. If you want lighter, I wouldn't go with the heavy barrel like I did, but the Mark II really is more accurate than it has any right to be at its price point.

post-16964-0-72916300-1541822423_thumb.jpg

post-16964-0-47153300-1541822573_thumb.jpg

Personally, if price is not an issue I'd go with CZ. They really are some of the best for the dollar. That being said, I don't own one myself because I didn't want to spend that much on a 22 rifle.

I ended up with a Savage Mark II FV, paid I think $175 out the door. I ended up dropping it in a Boyd's stock and mounting a Mueller APV on it. All said, I think I have $400 in it, so arguably maybe I should have just bought a CZ to begin with, haha. This is a group I shot my last outing of the year at 50 yards and what the gun looks like now. For the record, I'm not really a good marksman so nearly half MOA was very surprising for me and a good shooter could probably do better with the rifle. If you want lighter, I wouldn't go with the heavy barrel like I did, but the Mark II really is more accurate than it has any right to be at its price point.

Nice looking rifle you have there.

I decided to go with the CZ 455. Found one for $279 with irons. I've got a set of medium rings and a Weaver 3-9 scope coming with it. I'll be able to introduce new shooters to shoot irons and then move them up to the scope for more distance as they progress.

At this point I have seven adults and three (maybe four) kids, all asking me to go shooting. Once this is put together I'll have the right tools to make it super fun and confidence inspiring.

Archived