Annoying student

So this dude started my course a long time ago. Then he disappears due to his work schedule. Week after week he established and postponed appointments until he hit me with the "I'll let you know when I'm ready".

And now almost a year later, he's ready. Is he obligated to start all the way over? Or can he finish the last few hours of the class since I've logged all his times and hours thus far?

In all the posts I've read here, I've never seen anything that says the 16 hours or 8 hours has to be done consecutively.

Having said that, I think after a year of dragging this out he might be a little rusty on the details and need a refresher. I don't know if it's up to you to provide that refresher to him or even if you're obligated to give him those last few hours of class. I mean, it's been a year.

So this dude started my course a long time ago. Then he disappears due to his work schedule. Week after week he established and postponed appointments until he hit me with the "I'll let you know when I'm ready".

And now almost a year later, he's ready. Is he obligated to start all the way over? Or can he finish the last few hours of the class since I've logged all his times and hours thus far?

Those of us who have our CCL are not required to take the course every year. The recertification is 3 hours, not 8 or 16 hours. The basics of gun handling and safety do not change.

There should be no need to repeat the material from day 1. You probably repeat safety rules a number of times during the rest of your class, anyway, especially at range time.

Let him start where he left off. He is ultimately required to know and follow the FCCA. You can only present it to him. My instructor did not cover that is not a defense.

If he fails to qualify or is unsafe at the range, that is a different matter.

Archived