Photo

Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
384 replies to this topic

#301 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Is it true that Chicago's ban still applies?

After reading the Chicago Code above, my opinion is the current Chicago's switchblade ban still applies. So would any other township's ban if there is one. The recently approved Illinois state law does not include preemption. Just my opinion.

#302 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

The following link has some communities listed with knife laws e.g carrying a knife, blade lengths, etc. Those might be the first I would check to see if they also have a switchblade ban.

http://www.handgunla...nts/USKnife.pdf
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#303 Plinkermostly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

I am going to fess up.  I have found that a good spring assist is every bit as fast as an automatic and opens one handed.  I have on a couple of occasions used an OTF as an EDC utility and managed to cut myself because you have to get used to no guards and double edges (I got those edges sharper than I thought!).  Mostly they make good toys and are fun; will just have to wait for some local store to get some cheap little Italian Switchblades in stock for play.

GAT has some autos in stock FWIW.

YMMV

#304 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

After reading the Chicago Code above, my opinion is the current Chicago's switchblade ban still applies. So would any other township's ban if there is one. The recently approved Illinois state law does not include preemption. Just my opinion.

Here's latest Knife Rights newsletter that has some questions/answers regarding the new Illinois law. One says Chicago's switchblade ban stands for lack of preemption.

http://campaign.r20....a1-7afeadfe834f

Doug responded to my question about pursuing Illinois preemption: "HA! Way ahead of you. :=) That will likely be an even tougher fight, but you never know."

So he's at least considering it.

Edited by OldMarineVet, 15 August 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#305 papa

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Has anyone here dealt with GPknives ? They have some nice prices and a 618 area code ( Southern Illinois ).

#306 Jam77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Do you guys think the hk entourage would make a good carry blade ? I'm torn between it and a Gerber automatic

#307 Glock23

I am no one.

• 4,480 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

I have no intention of checking local ordinances.

If I can carry a knife (for lawful purpose) and a fully loaded handgun (CCL), there's zero reason I shouldn't be able to carry a knife that's easier to deploy should I need it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#308 bmyers

• 4,131 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

If I can carry a knife (for lawful purpose) and a fully loaded handgun (CCL), there's zero reason I shouldn't be able to carry a knife that's easier to deploy should I need it.

The reason would be that it is against the law. Rather you decided that the reward is greater than a risk is only a call that you can make. I have already contacted local Village to ask them to modify the Village ordinance to remove switch blades (automatic knives).

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#309 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,782 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Do you guys think the hk entourage would make a good carry blade ? I'm torn between it and a Gerber automatic

Is there any reason to believe the HK is better then the 29.95 Smith and Wesson other then paying for the name?

Other then loosing them I've had zero problems with my 29.95 S&W's ;) 

I haven't purchased a Gerber since they moved to China.... 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#310 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,782 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

The reason would be that it is against the law. Rather you decided that the reward is greater than a risk is only a call that you can make. I have already contacted local Village to ask them to modify the Village ordinance to remove switch blades (automatic knives).

Well when I was young I also carried a firearm as well but I got shot once and I didn't want it to happen again so frankly I really didn't care what the law was at that time.   No-one is going to jail for carrying a knife against a local ordinance best just buy two so if they take one you have another. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#311 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

Understood. Personally, I'd rather not get into self-defense discussion regarding my knife carry. Why get into the intent in Illinois knife laws? It's just a "tool" for me. Why would I go to a knife for self-defense if I'm carrying firearm(s)? My knife is only a tool I use throughout the day. That really is my intent for my knife. Especially opening packages.

Edited by OldMarineVet, 15 August 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#312 skottieusa

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

Has anyone here dealt with GPknives ? They have some nice prices and a 618 area code ( Southern Illinois ).

Yes, highly recommend them. Picked up an OTF from them today. Huge selection in the store now of autos in addition to online.

#313 InterestedBystander

• 6,919 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

The HK knives were made by Benchmade. Everything Ive read has been generally a good knife at less than Benchmade prices. If you see one and want it, should probably buy it as they are no longer in the supply chain.

In Oct 2016 it was announced the HK line would not be retained by Benchmade in 2017 and no one else picked them up, so unless they're sitting in a warehouse someplace, they wont be restocked.

Benchmade did take a couple of the lines and turned them into their own branded knife...with a price increase.
(HK Patrol-->Benchmade Casbah)

Edited by InterestedBystander, 15 August 2017 - 04:37 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#314 papa

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

Yes, highly recommend them. Picked up an OTF from them today. Huge selection in the store now of autos in addition to online.

Thank you . Guess I'll have to decide which Kershaw Launch ( 5 or 6 ) I want now.

#315 jackinelgin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Stopped at GAT today. They had about 8 autoknives-Boker,Kershaw,Gerber. Lady said to stop back in a week,they'll have a lot more.

#316 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

I believe the HK knives are made by Benchmade

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#317 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Raven Crest Tactical has some nice OTF knives at reasonable prices. Just sayin.

NRA Patriot Life Member - Endowment
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#318 Glock23

I am no one.

• 4,480 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thank you . Guess I'll have to decide which Kershaw Launch ( 5 or 6 ) I want now.

I was initially planning on picking up a Kershaw launch, until I read the reviews... seems it's not uncommon for them to open and not lock up fully.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#319 papa

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

I was initially planning on picking up a Kershaw launch, until I read the reviews... seems it's not uncommon for them to open and not lock up fully.

Well I guess I am going to find out. I ordered a Launch 6 about 5:30. $104.66 out the door with tax and free shipping.

#320 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

My Public Service Announcement.

Kurt on G+

#321 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 3,284 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Think most stores will get them in soon
Benchmade rep is in tomorrow as I heard today

I was told that Mega will have Kershaw, Microtech, Benchmade, Paragon, Spyderco so far.
If I'm of on the names it's due to just talking and not taking notes, plus my ignorance about such companies

If the size of the current inventory is any indication, there will be a huge selection of these auto devices here soon

Just FYI for the inquiring guy and gal

#322 kemikos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

My Public Service Announcement.

https://www.youtube....h?v=zbRK93G2TsM

Very nice. I'm a big Buck fan, and have been looking into getting one of those auto 110's.

#323 Hawkeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

As of this morning(!), my EDC is an HK Turmoil, built by Benchmade.  I think it is a very nice, very high quality knife, and I love the size compared to the EDC blade that had been commanding my left pocket (right pocket is reserved for my Kahr pistol, and nothing else).  It is an Out The Front design rather than side opening like the Entourage, but that is what I was looking for in particular,

I found a few YouTube videos on my model that really helped me make the decision to go ahead and make the purchase.  I just looked, and see that there are several reviews for the Entourage, as well.  Maybe those could help you out...

#324 splash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

I just placed an order from them. We'll see if they will cancel my order. They haven't updated their OTF Knife State Laws and Legalities since July of last year.

NRA | ISRA Member

#325 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:41 AM

I just placed an order from them. We'll see if they will cancel my order. They haven't updated their OTF Knife State Laws and Legalities since July of last year.

I think you will be just fine. I just talked with them out in South Dakota and the manager that was out there was from the Chicago area and when they asked where I was from, they already knew of the law that had passed here.

NRA Patriot Life Member - Endowment
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#326 tommyd78

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

The spring is hard and hits the stop and deflects off it sometimes where it doesn't lock up. There is a screw there that you just tighten a little bit should solve the problem. You tube video.

#327 bmyers

• 4,131 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

I was reminded that I actually meet the Federal requirement. In the position of ESDA coordinator, I order supplies for the Village employees to use during disaster incidents. So I meet the requirements of the third item:

(3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#328 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

deleted

Edited by OldMarineVet, 16 August 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#329 InterestedBystander

• 6,919 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

I think you will be just fine. I just talked with them out in South Dakota and the manager that was out there was from the Chicago area and when they asked where I was from, they already knew of the law that had passed here.

Are they in South Dakota or Arizona? Just making sure I have the correct place from my web search.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#330 HeavyDuty

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

I am going to fess up.  I have found that a good spring assist is every bit as fast as an automatic and opens one handed.  I have on a couple of occasions used an OTF as an EDC utility and managed to cut myself because you have to get used to no guards and double edges (I got those edges sharper than I thought!).  Mostly they make good toys and are fun; will just have to wait for some local store to get some cheap little Italian Switchblades in stock for play.

GAT has some autos in stock FWIW.

YMMV

To be honest I'll probably rarely carry an automatic - I've found the same, that my little spring assist Chive is plenty fast for my needs. I have an automatic just because.