Why does Illinois require a FOID

tommoskos

The original purpose is described above.

The reason it was passed was so that the homicide rates would drop.

Shockingly it didn't help. Leftists will tell you that it helped and point at when it fell in the early 90's. What they won't tell you is that it fell nationwide and had absolutely nothing to do with the FOID act.

It's really just another source of revenue for the state. Illinois loves creating duplicative efforts and taxing people in the process.

Can anyone guess what the gun dealer licensing won't do? I'll give you a hint, it won't do anything that they're claiming it will do.

FOID is just part of a much larger problem....the problem of stupid people being lied to and believing the lies because those lies are coming from "their team".

Old Man Daley especially wanted it to prevent black people and activists from owning guns (mainly the Black Panthers).

Truth.

Democrats have historically been the party of keeping African Americans down. Opposition to the 13th Amendment, Jim Crow laws, opposition to Civil Rights- all the main political figures were Democrats. And the Welfare System, touted by Democrats, has ruined the black family unit and has made many poor blacks dependent on the government.

Old Man Daley especially wanted it to prevent black people and activists from owning guns (mainly the Black Panthers).

Truth.

Democrats have historically been the party of keeping African Americans down. Opposition to the 13th Amendment, Jim Crow laws, opposition to Civil Rights- all the main political figures were Democrats. And the Welfare System, touted by Democrats, has ruined the black family unit and has made many poor blacks dependent on the government.

But in ANY argument they're quick to tell you that the northern/southern parties reversed and it was the evil republicans that fought ending slavery.

^ This

Agree!!

If the black community knew their history, they could not vote D with any conscience.

As a way to discourage gun ownership, as without the card, (unless an out of state resident) you can get slapped with charges left and right for even breathing near a gun. It's (and only speaking on my experience with the process) purposely long and frustrating so you are even more discourage to continue ahead with the process or renew when it comes time to renew. Under the table it's probably a way for the state to control and have a list of those who own firearms so if they plan on doing something unconstitutional, they know who to go after first. I also think it's pretty illegal and unconstitutional considering if the government charges you and makes you get a license to use a right (in this case, owning or buying a firearm) then they are going against the constitution.

Richard J. Daley: "Outside the suburbs in the city, we have control, but what the heck, in the suburbs, there are — you go out to all around our suburbs and you've got people out there, especially the non-white, are buying guns right and left."

That's Daley on this call with Lyndon Baines Johnson, at about the 12:30 mark.

It's because Daley, and other Democrats, are elitistly racist and don't want non-white citizens to have firearms to protect themselves..

The FOID was a "compromise" to ward off a handgun ban.

Two national leaders were assasiinated in 1968, Bobby Kennedy and Rev Dr MLK jr.

The MLK killing in April sparked riots, including in Chicago.

In August there were riots along with the Democratic National Convention.

It was all a perfect storm for a FOID card or a handgun ban.

With perfect 20/20 hindsight, would a handgun ban have been better?
Maybe it would have sparked a federal court case and driven a stake in the 1968 GCA.

Two national leaders were assasiinated in 1968, Bobby Kennedy and Rev Dr MLK jr.

Maybe it would have sparked a federal court case and driven a stake in the 1968 GCA.

I dont buy it....

It wasnt a 'compromise' insomuch as they 'failed' to achieve a complete ban....

Kennedy shot in Los Angelas CA.

MKL shot in Memphis TN

Funny..they don't have FOIDS..

(Ya....CA has ridiculous laws as it is...yet they still dont require anything such as a FOID.)

I dont buy it....

MKL shot in Memphis TN

(Ya....CA has ridiculous laws as it is...yet they still dont require anything such as a FOID.)

Funny how two men assassinated with rifles sparked debate of a handgun ban

I dont buy it....

MKL shot in Memphis TN

Not that I agree with the FOID, but Bobby Kennedy was killed by a handgun. 1 out of 2.

I dont buy it....

MKL shot in Memphis TN

Not that I agree with the FOID, but Bobby Kennedy was killed by a handgun. 1 out of 2.

Oops, I was thinking of John, would have helped if I had read the entire line :)

Some cynical people will claim our stupid FOID was a combination of corrupt State Politicians' insatiable money grabbing, a means to deny our Constitutional Rights and a way to keep down people of color.

Those cynical people would be correct in their assumptions. Just sayin'.

Yep, And for those who think the FOID is a good think I ask "What other Constitutional rights should you need a permission card to use ?"

Some cynical people will claim our stupid FOID was a combination of corrupt State Politicians' insatiable money grabbing, a means to deny our Constitutional Rights and a way to keep down people of color.

Those cynical people would be correct in their assumptions. Just sayin'.

Yep, And for those who think the FOID is a good think I ask "What other Constitutional rights should you need a permission card to use ?"

Just remind leftists that FOID budget overruns come out of the DNR budget. And there's always overruns. What's more important, a laminated permission slip that criminals don't bother to apply for? Or the environment?

Archived