Gunman Opens Fire In Texas Church, Armed Church Members Take Him Out

Lou

I heard or read that Texas gun laws had recently changed allowing carry in churches. However I read somewhere else that carry has been permitted since 1995. If the law has changed what has changed? Or does it have to do with carry by volunteer security? I did see something about churches being the same as other private property.

I heard or read that Texas gun laws had recently changed allowing carry in churches. However I read somewhere else that carry has been permitted since 1995. If the law has changed what has changed? Or does it have to do with carry by volunteer security? I did see something about churches being the same as other private property.

It seems to be a recent change to the law.

(CNN) - A shooter at a church in White Settlement, Texas, was taken down by parishioners with guns seconds after he began firing Sunday.

Those parishioners, who were also volunteer members of the church's security team, are able to carry guns into church due to a law passed by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in response to another deadly church shooting that took the lives of 26 people in 2017.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick referred to the law during a Sunday night press conference, saying that it was passed following the deadly shooting at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs. It took effect in September, Patrick said.

Senate Bill 535 took effect in September and clarifies possession of firearms at places of worship. The bill allows licensed handgun owners to legally carry their weapons in churches, synagogues and other houses of worship.

showtopic=72698

USA Today

At the beginning of September, 10 new laws that loosen restrictions on public gun possession will take effect in Texas...

The laws were passed in Texas Legislature's last session, which concluded in June.

All 10 bills were sponsored by Republican members of the Texas Legislature.

House Bill 1143 prevents school districts from prohibiting employees and other visitors at school campuses to store firearms in locked vehicles.

House Bill 2363 lets foster parents possess firearms "in a safe and secure matter ... for personal protection purposes."

Senate Bill 535 removes a previous ban on the possession of firearms at "churches, synagogues or other places of worship," following the 2017 shooting

"Those with evil intentions will violate the law and carry out their heinous acts no matter what," said State Rep. Donna Campbell, who co-sponsored the bill, in a statement.

House Bill 3231 "curbs the ability of municipalities" to restrict gun sales at the city level.

Days after these ten bills were signed into law, legislation was signed by Gov. Greg Abbott that permits more teachers to be armed on public school campuses. It followed a shooting at a school near Houston that left 10 dead.

Someone on another forum said that before the law changed you could carry in a church if you were given permission.

Yes, law changed to where the church has to say “no” instead of giving permission. Permission is implied

In Ohio you need to get permission to carry in a church. I expect I could get permission in my church especially if either the pastor or an elder can give it. My pastor moved here from Kentucky and he had a Kentucky LTC, he plans to take the Illinois CC class.

Archived