New FOID Bill - SB1966

ILgunguy

I'm speechless. Last night my wife and I watched a movie called "The Fencer". It is about a master fencer trying to teach fencing in Stalinist Estonia. Actually a true story. Watching it I actually started forming a hypothetical plan of what could I do in that situation. I decided I would have my family and I become fluent in Swedish or Finnish and come up with a plan to escape there.

Illinois lawmakers would love to have a world of totalitarian control over us.

This law will do zero to curb crime. Rant over.

Bloomberg wants to make it harder and expensive for people to get a FOID card. He wants to make it like in New York city where only the rich and connected can get a gun. This will hurt the poor and African Americans as intended. Does Cathleen Willis know what's in the bill? Her handlers will whisper the answers in her ear as usual during debate on the house floor.

They are using the Aurora shooting as an excuse to push their civilian disarmament agenda. This hurts the law abiding as intended, criminals don't need a FOID card and Martin could have gotten a gun without a FOID card on the street. The ISP screwed up and knew he shouldn't have a gun. The ISP can't handle 10 year FOID and always screw up, how are they gonna handle 5 year FOID and fingerprints? Can't wait to get out of this crooked state.

... I decided I would have my family and I become fluent in Swedish or Finnish and come up with a plan to escape there.

In Sweden and Finland, police issue firearm licenses on a need-to-have (may-issue) basis. You need to demonstrate the need. A separate license is required for each firearm. Self-defense is generally prohibited, including carry in public.

In Sweden, caliber conversion kits and suppressors are each considered firearms, and thus each require their own license. Firearms may not be used for a purpose different from the one for which they are licensed. Full-auto weapons are not prohibited, but the need must be demonstrated as with any other firearm.

In Finland, full-auto weapons are prohibited.

If the plan is to go where firearms are generally permitted, Pakistan and some eastern (non-EU) European countries are the only choices. NZ used to be a good place until recently, with virtually everything permitted. Of course, NZ didn't have any constitutional protections, so now virtually everything is prohibited by executive order, later permanently ratified by legislative action.

Drop down only shows original bill and not amendment. Status still shows in rules committee and I thought Mauser said it could not be slipped until assigned.

So this original bill passed the Senate and was sent to the House. Now that Willis has added an amendment, is the process still the same i.e. pass House committee, a 2nd reading in House, if passed on 3rd reading back to Senate for concurrence?

If it goes back to Senate, does it need to repeat the committee and reading process or does it go to chamber as 3rd reading/concurrence with no committee hearings since original bill passed?

I smell shenanigans and chicanery

So this original bill passed the Senate and was sent to the House. Now that Willis has added an amendment, is the process still the same i.e. pass House committee, a 2nd reading in House, if passed on 3rd reading back to Senate for concurrence?

If it goes back to Senate, does it need to repeat the committee and reading process or does it go to chamber as 3rd reading/concurrence with no committee hearings since original bill passed?

I smell shenanigans and chicanery

The original bill was about funding public defenders, something utterly unrelated to gun control.

The "amendment" completely replaces the entire text of the original bill with the "Fix FOID Act." It wasn't a shell bill, but they're essentially treating it like one. The senate sponsor will probably turn a real shell bill into the public defender thing later. They're doing this now because they can ram it home before the end of May.

Since it's already been through the Senate Criminal Committee and been adopted by the senate (although in its "original" form), it doesn't need to go through senate committee again AFAIK. It just needs senate reconciliation with the house amendment.

Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon

becoming law.".

So what is the earliest date this garbage could become law? My FOID expires Oct. 1st and I want to renew while it's still 10 years for $10. I'm thinking about renewing in July (90 days early?).

I am assuming that a Novelty FOID card that expires in a few years would be grandfather in, or they would have to notify everyone with a Novelty FOID card that is older than 5 years is invalid?

What if you just submitted an application for your Novelty FOID and its in the mail or in processing when it actually becomes law?

I haven't read the whole amendment, but how does the mandatory revocation coordination with local law enforcement affect sanctuary counties?

Hopefully that’s where cops that say they are on our side are actually willing to shoot other cops over their supposed sanctuary.

Wow, putting aside all the other horrid aspect, the $10 max fee for FFLs to run a background check is bound to make many of them to simply refuse to offer the service making the burden just that much greater especially in rural areas, funny that they don't appear to cap the ISP's background fee for the service, hmmm.

Also any person that takes 'any' action to cause harm to themselves or others, hmm does that even a moving violation could under the black and white text be enough to revoke a right?

So much bad in the law, everyone better take note of who votes for this and vote them out regardless of the letter in front of their name on the ballot!

I haven't read the whole amendment, but how does the mandatory revocation coordination with local law enforcement affect sanctuary counties?

Hopefully that’s where cops that say they are on our side are actually willing to shoot other cops over their supposed sanctuary.

The sanctuary county thing is just about refusing to allow county money, personnel, physical facilities, or other resources to be used to enforce state gun control laws, not about shooting anyone.

Wow, putting aside all the other horrid aspect, the $10 max fee for FFLs to run a background check is bound to make many of them to simply refuse to offer the service making the burden just that much greater especially in rural areas, funny that they don't appear to cap the ISP's background fee for the service, hmmm.

Also any person that takes 'any' action to cause harm to themselves or others, hmm does that even a moving violation could under the black and white text be enough to revoke a right?

So much bad in the law, everyone better take note of who votes for this and vote them out regardless of the letter in front of their name on the ballot!

That's where the new ffl licensing will come into play. The state will force ffl's to comply or they won't issue them a state license.

Novelty FOID card

What is this?

I call it a Novelty FOID card because it is not a valid form of identification to obtain a REAL ID, it’s not on the list of acceptable forms of ID, and the state does not recognize it as an ID, unless it’s for firearms or ammo. Having said that I call it Novelty item that we must pay $10 for something that is pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things.

Archived