Boyd's won't ship to Illinois

ScottFM

So I am upgrading the barrel of my Ruger 10/22 to a .92 bull type and need to upgrade the stock too. After looking at stock choices I decided I wanted a Boyd's custom stock for it. I tried placing the order this weekend, but I kept getting failures and Boyd's would remove the item from my cart.

I sent them an email thinking it was a problem with the website or my order placing ability, etc. I was shocked to get their reply today that they would not ship a Ruger 10/22 stock to Illinois because it can be considered "an assault gun" part and that they are banned in Illinois. News to me a wooden .22LR Ruger is an assault weapon or that Illinois has a ban on them!

Oh well their stupidity is Houge's win.

So I am upgrading the barrel of my Ruger 10/22 to a .92 bull type and need to upgrade the stock too. After looking at stock choices I decided I wanted a Boyd's custom stock for it. I tried placing the order this weekend, but I kept getting failures and Boyd's would remove the item from my cart.

I sent them an email thinking it was a problem with the website or my order placing ability, etc. I was shocked to get their reply today that they would not ship a Ruger 10/22 stock to Illinois because it can be considered "an assault gun" part and that they are banned in Illinois. News to me a wooden .22LR Ruger is an assault weapon or that Illinois has a ban on them!

Yea, write a letter to those you vote for expressing your concern. Many places won't ship to Illinois as a result of our democratic legislators enacting capricious regulations.

Can probably buy one at Cabelas in Hammond.

Yea, write a letter to those you vote for expressing your concern. Many places won't ship to Illinois as a result of our democratic legislators enacting capricious regulations.

The laws regarding "assault weapons" and their parts have not changed at the IL level in a long time to my knowledge. Aside from the long standing ban Cook County and some other random towns have, the state of IL has no prohibition on assault weapons, magazines or their parts. You can write all the letters you want but state level reps can't do anything about laws that aren't on the books.

Places like Boyds are just too lazy to look up the small list of prohibited towns outside of Cook County and then reference it when orders are placed. That is what the problem is.

In 99% of the counties and cites in IL it is perfectly fine to ship just about anything but FFL/NFA items to peoples doors. Not really sure why some online retailers have to go full retard about it. The state of IL has no "assault weapons" ban, its has no ban on magazine capacities and it has no ban on Boyds vastly overpriced Ruger 10/22 stocks.

But if they don't want our money over some simple clerical laziness or because they want to punish IL gun owners over the actions of a few cities out of an entire state then whatever. Plenty of other places on the Internet to order from that will happily ship those exact same items to us because its not illegal to do so.

The laws regarding "assault weapons" and their parts have not changed at the IL level in a long time to my knowledge. Aside from the long standing ban Cook County and some other random towns have, the state of IL has no prohibition on assault weapons, magazines or their parts. You can write all the letters you want but state level reps can't do anything about laws that aren't on the books.

Places like Boyds are just too lazy to look up the small list of prohibited towns outside of Cook County and then reference it when orders are placed. That is what the problem is.

In 99% of the counties and cites in IL it is perfectly fine to ship just about anything but FFL/NFA items to peoples doors. Not really sure why some online retailers have to go full retard about it. The state of IL has no "assault weapons" ban, its has no ban on magazine capacities and it has no ban on Boyds vastly overpriced Ruger 10/22 stocks.

But if they don't want our money over some simple clerical laziness or because they want to punish IL gun owners over the actions of a few cities out of an entire state then whatever. Plenty of other places on the Internet to order from that will happily ship those exact same items to us because its not illegal to do so.

Exactly!!

Houge got my money

Ted Nugent is having an ammo sale or his namesake ammo brand this week. He commented about several states (IL being one of them) that didn't allow ammo sales through the mail across state lines. I s3nt a link to the FOID Act section and copied and pasted the pertinent area. There are lots of misconceptions about the laws.

I guess it just depends on the individual company . I have purchased ammo , high capacity magazines , gun barrels , stocks and trigger groups all via the internet and all out of state , without any problems . It is easier for a company to just do a blanket approach and have a policy no Illinois sales than to know the specifics . There are also gun shops that will not even let you touch a banned firearm in your place of residence even though the shop is in a different county or city .

I guess it just depends on the individual company . I have purchased ammo , high capacity magazines , gun barrels , stocks and trigger groups all via the internet and all out of state , without any problems . It is easier for a company to just do a blanket approach and have a policy no Illinois sales than to know the specifics . There are also gun shops that will not even let you touch a banned firearm in your place of residence even though the shop is in a different county or city .

Hummm

Mega Sports?

Kills me how ignorant these businesses are.

We can be our own worst enemies in regards to the 2nd Amendment.

Well, it's not all "our" fault.

When you have the same AG who wanted to release the names and addresses of FOID holders under the "sunshine" of FOIA (but whose agency refuses to endorse including e-mails pertaining to laws as discoverable to protect her daddy and his pals) and who uses the bottomless purse of the taxpayer to harass and threaten businesses outside our state who can blame them?

• 10 months later...

I to have had the same problem with Boyds not wanting to send a thumb hole stock to Illinois. The why, is still up in the air. This is a copy of the email they sent me.

Thank you for your patience, we apologize for the delayed response as we are experiencing his call/email volumes. On the advice of our legal department, we choose to limit the sale of certain products that could be perceived as restricted in certain areas. This is due to the difficulty maintaining knowledge of, the sometimes ambiguous, state and local laws. We are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that we are offering the best experience for our customers and giving them the best opportunity, while staying within guidelines. Thank you for bringing your concerns forward and we will continue to review and update our processes as needed.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks

25376 403rd Ave

Mitchell SD, 57301

(605)996-5011

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Unhappy with this BS response I filed a Better Business complaint. If you wish to follow the case number is Complaint ID#: 300149039. They have till January 18 to respond to BBB.

I to have had the same problem with Boyds not wanting to send a thumb hole stock to Illinois. The why, is still up in the air. This is a copy of the email they sent me.

Thank you for your patience, we apologize for the delayed response as we are experiencing his call/email volumes. On the advice of our legal department, we choose to limit the sale of certain products that could be perceived as restricted in certain areas. This is due to the difficulty maintaining knowledge of, the sometimes ambiguous, state and local laws. We are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that we are offering the best experience for our customers and giving them the best opportunity, while staying within guidelines. Thank you for bringing your concerns forward and we will continue to review and update our processes as needed.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks

25376 403rd Ave

Mitchell SD, 57301

(605)996-5011

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Unhappy with this BS response I filed a Better Business complaint. If you wish to follow the case number is Complaint ID#: 300149039. They have till January 18 to respond to BBB.

Which will do nothing as the BBB has no legal authority. Unless they really care about their BBB rating it doesn’t accomplish much.

Archived