Are Cicero IL ordinances still valid given FCCA and FOID acts of 2013?

shelfish

Several pinned threads which may help above here.

Plus there is a lawyer now a member here for general chat, iirc.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums

P.S. Reading what looks overwhelming here will give a great deal of insights on the ins and outs of carry in Illinois.

Thanks!

I read through the threads whichever I could find. Unfortunately, none of them answer my question. All of the threads seem to essentially repeat: 'State preempts the municipality'. My question however is:

Given that the State preempts the municipality in handgun domain, why does current Cicero IL ordinance still have the clause requiring registration of all firearms?

A few possibilities:

- They forgot to update the ordinance to fully reflect State's preemption

- They do not care to update knowing its null and void anyway

- There is some loophole around 2013 Acts allowing them to keep that registration requirements pertaining handguns (hence all firearms)

Whats the nickname of the lawyer that's available for general chat that you mentioned?

I lived in Cicero for 10 yrs. Recently moved. I had an issue whereas my carry firearm was confiscated by the cicero police. I beat the case but cicero township would not return my firearm unless I register it. I fought this in their court. I presented the preemptive law to no avail. The adjudicator demanded I register the firearm to have it returned. I posted my situation here and a very nice lady( sorry I forgot her name)took my info and in about 1 week, the cicero lawyers called me and said my firearm was ready to be picked up. No registration required. I believe she contacted a law firm and they educated Cicero. Sorry about the vagueness but its been a while.

I posted my situation here and a very nice lady( sorry I forgot her name)took my info and in about 1 week, the cicero lawyers called me and said my firearm was ready to be picked up.

Perhaps MollyB?

Had to be. She is amazing. The least we can do is become a supporting member.

Ya gotta admit it’s far cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

I lived in Cicero for 10 yrs. Recently moved. I had an issue whereas my carry firearm was confiscated by the cicero police. I beat the case but cicero township would not return my firearm unless I register it. I fought this in their court. I presented the preemptive law to no avail. The adjudicator demanded I register the firearm to have it returned. I posted my situation here and a very nice lady( sorry I forgot her name)took my info and in about 1 week, the cicero lawyers called me and said my firearm was ready to be picked up. No registration required. I believe she contacted a law firm and they educated Cicero. Sorry about the vagueness but its been a while.

Thanks for the info!

One more question since you lived in Cicero... What is the magazine capacity for handguns for Cicero? Some say 10, some say 15.

Thanks for the info!

One more question since you lived in Cicero... What is the magazine capacity for handguns for Cicero? Some say 10, some say 15.

If you're going by whatever law is in the books wherever you are presently, Cook Co has the most strict requirement because I presume you leave Cicero with a carry piece and remain in Cook Co.

This is the point of peemption. Different law everywhere makes it impossible to satisfy everyone all the time.

a very nice lady( sorry I forgot her name)took my info and in about 1 week, the cicero lawyers called me and said my firearm was ready to be picked up. No registration required. I believe she contacted a law firm and they educated Cicero.

Either that or asked them if they were ready to be the defendants in a major lawsuit they would almost certainly lose. People here at icarry were plaintiffs in McDonald v Chicago, so yeah.

Given the well-documented infamous level of political corruption in Cicero, I'm not surprised they would cynically leave this on the books and then actually try to enforce it. As always, the expectation is the little guy won't have the resources or fortitude to fight them on it. It's an abuse of power.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure, my carry gun has 13 rounds total and they never mentioned anything about the mag or rounds so....

"Official word"? LOL. Take your pick...

State has preemption on handguns.

Cook Co muni code says 10 rounds.

Cicero muni code (see code for specific requirements):

...Assault ammunition means any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition. However, such term shall not include the following:

(1)Antique firearms;(2)Any device used exclusively for line throwing, signaling, or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or Interstate Commerce Commission; or(3)Any device used exclusively for firing explosives, rivets, stud cartridges, or any similar industrial ammunition incapable of use as a weapon...

...Large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1)A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds.

(2)A 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(3)A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm....

Archived