List of legal semi-automatic handguns in Chicago

chicagosucks

I recently moved to the city of Chicago and am looking into buying a semi-auto handgun, but I did not realize how incredibly restrictive the gun laws are here. Ive tried researching the various laws applicable to Chicago and Cook County, but I find it all very confusing.

Can someone provide a list of semi automatic handguns that they know with certainty are legal to possess and store in the city of Chicago (if any)?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

(6) A semiautomatic handgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(A) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the handgun grip;

(B) a threaded barrel;

© a barrel shroud; or

(D) a second handgun grip.

(7) A semiautomatic version of an automatic handgun.

(8) A semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 15 rounds

Banned by name

(11)

handgun.

(B) All AR-15 types, including the following:

(i) American Spirit AR-15 handgun

(ii) Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgun

(iii) DoubleStar Corporation AR handgun

(iv) DPMS AR-15 handguAll of the following handguns, including any copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such weapon:

(A) All AK-47 types, including the following:

(i) Centurion 39 AK handgun

(ii) Draco AK-47 handgun

(iii) HCR AK-47 handgun

(iv) IO, Inc. Hellpup AK-47 handgun

(v) Krinkov handgun

(vi) Mini Draco AK-47 handgun

(vii) Yugo Krebs Krink

n

(v) Olympic Arms AR-15 handgun

(vi) Rock River Arms LAR 15 handgun.

© Calico Liberty handguns.

(D) PSA SA58 PKP FAL handgun.

(E) Encom MP-9 and MP-45.

(F) Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun.

(G) Intratec AB-10, TEC-22 Scorpion, TEC-9, and TEC-DC9.

(H) Kel-Tec PLR 16 handgun.

(I) The following MAC types:

(i) MAC-10

(ii) MAC-11

(iii) Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol. MPA Tactical Pistol, and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol

(iv) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11

(v) Velocity Arms VMAC.

(J) Sig Sauer P556 handgun.

(K) Sites Spectre.

(L) All Thompson types, including the following:

(i) Thompson TA510D

(ii) Thompson TA5.

(M) All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

No laser sights or "high capacity magazines" defined as

High capacity magazine means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition. A high capacity magazine does not include an attached tubular device to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

I'm not a lawyer but the agreed upon wording of the Illinois conceal carry statute invalidates Chicago's home rule for pistols. There's never been a test case, but most Chicago residents that make a minimal effort to stay legal are comfortable owning and sometimes carrying what Chicago law calls a "high capacity magazine".

(6) A semiautomatic handgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(A) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the handgun grip;

(B) a threaded barrel;

© a barrel shroud; or

(8) A semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 15 rounds

Based on these restrictions, what are some specific examples of semiautomatic handguns that would be permitted?

(B) a threaded barrel;

© a barrel shroud; or

Based on these restrictions, what are some specific examples of semiautomatic handguns that would be permitted?

This is what you get when politicians write laws about stuff they have no clue about.

Kinda like that thingie that goes up.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/whats-a-barrel-shroud-carolyn-mccarthy-doesnt-know-what-shes-trying-to-ban/

can anyone cite an example of a handgun that has a fixed magazine that can accept more than 15 rounds? i'm really curious on that one.

You can usually tell they are targeting a single gun when you see wierd idiosyncrasies in these bans. This one likely targeted Olympic arms, who was coming out with guns bypassing bans as quickly as they were writing them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Arms_OA-93

The OA 96 was at one point a handgun with a fixed 30 round magazine.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/07/29/1936534_03_olympic_arms_oa_96_223_pistol_640.jpg

Gun Jesus did a segment on them, including how they bypassed the weight ban.

https://youtu.be/CcNS4JdprWc

You're asking for legal advice, and I'm afraid that's probably out of scope of this forum. I'm not a lawyer, just a resident. I've pasted the law, it's up to you to understand that law, and decide what handgun you can own based on that.

The full scope of gun laws that may affect you in Illinois are compiled here.

https://www.ispfsb.com

That's also where you'll need to apply for a FOID card to legally possess a gun in Illinois.

Unfortunately outside of a lawyer who files a lawsuit on your behalf there is no authority that can tell you whether a gun is legal or not in Chicago. Police departments give varrying answers, they won't be in writing, and they do not constitute legal advice either.

( :cool: a threaded barrel;

© a barrel shroud; or

Anything that doesn't run afoul of those restrictions would be permitted (and that should be a good majority of handguns on the market today) although as others have noted its entirely possible none of those restrictions are legal under the states preemption law.

Basically under the current preemption local governments can define and regulate "assault weapons" but cannot regulate handguns. The law is not clear on who wins when the two intersect and certain handguns are defined as "assault weapons" and there has been no court case to clarify it.

If you are truly concerned about what is and isn't allowed in Chicago you should consult a lawyer, otherwise go find a few models you like and compare them to restriction list and make sure nothing is restricted. Worth noting that even if a gun comes from the factory with a 17 round magazine you can always get a smaller one for it to be compliant with the mag ban

© a barrel shroud; or

As an Illinois resident you must have a valid FOID to purchase/possess any guns or ammo.

The gun rules in Chicago are the same as anywhere else in Illinois, and the laws in Illinois aren't that bad. There are a number of states with greater problems.

Chicago has an Assault Weapons Ban and limits pistol magazines to 15 rounds.

Cook County has its own AWB and limits pistol magazines to 10 rounds.

The Cook County ban does not apply to Chicago.

Many are certain pistol magazine capacity bans are unenforceable.

There are no restrictions on handguns in Chicago and it has been this way for a while. Your standard Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Taurus, Glock, Beretta and on and on are just fine.

If you are new to guns, please seek a course or some training in the safe operation of firearms.

Many gun shops offer training. There are a number of qualified instructors on this forum.

Alright children, stop feeding the troll. He's already been outed as an opposition researcher.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw someone make a claim, but I saw no verification. I didn't realize we'd devolved to that mentality here.

I would think a troll anti deserves the same good answer and advice that a newbie should get.

My circle of gun owing former antis continues to grow.

© a barrel shroud; or

As an Illinois resident you must have a valid FOID to purchase/possess any guns or ammo.

The gun rules in Chicago are the same as anywhere else in Illinois, and the laws in Illinois aren't that bad. There are a number of states with greater problems.

Chicago has an Assault Weapons Ban and limits pistol magazines to 15 rounds.

Cook County has its own AWB and limits pistol magazines to 10 rounds.

The Cook County ban does not apply to Chicago.

Many are certain pistol magazine capacity bans are unenforceable.

There are no restrictions on handguns in Chicago and it has been this way for a while. Your standard Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Taurus, Glock, Beretta and on and on are just fine.

If you are new to guns, please seek a course or some training in the safe operation of firearms.

Many gun shops offer training. There are a number of qualified instructors on this forum.

Both of these bans, (because they attempt to regulate handguns), are preempted by the Concealed Carry Law. As stated earlier, there has been no test case for this as yet.

Alright children, stop feeding the troll. He's already been outed as an opposition researcher.

When most anti's see the rediculous nature of Chicago's gun laws along with how little effect they have on Chicago violence they tend to back down from feature bans and go chase universal background checks and banning private sales.

If this person is in fact opposition research they've already slunk back and are reevaluating the effectiveness of feature bans/"assault weapons bans".

I wonder out loud if local prosecutors are terrified at the notion of being THE 'test case' for these unconstitutional laws? And therefore for years now there have been NO test cases?

Instead of these new 'common sense' law proposals, how about some 'common sense' enforcement of the hundreds and hundreds of laws already on the books along with some 'common sense' sentencing mandates?

I wonder out loud if local prosecutors are terrified at the notion of being THE 'test case' for these unconstitutional laws? And therefore for years now there have been NO test cases?

Instead of these new 'common sense' law proposals, how about some 'common sense' enforcement of the hundreds and hundreds of laws already on the books along with some 'common sense' sentencing mandates?

I specifically brought the point up with Kwame Raoul. They are unenforceable because Chicago cannot duplicate the efforts of the ATF's Firearms and Ammunition Technology branch. There's no ruling authority that you can go to and get an approval letter like with the ATF. When moving from Chicago to Cook a law differed, so I had emailed several government legal authorities to ask for clarification, nobody got back to me.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-and-ammunition-technology

Now I know the crooks running Illinois would salivate at another cushy patronage job, but ask the citizens supporting these laws where the budget provision is for a local research division. Ask on the bill where the budget appropriation is for this division. Once people see that to enforce these laws it requires money and resources that are taken away from other areas of law enforcement they don't look as appealing.

© a barrel shroud; or

Anything that doesn't run afoul of those restrictions would be permitted (and that should be a good majority of handguns on the market today) although as others have noted its entirely possible none of those restrictions are legal under the states preemption law.

I’m new to guns so I don’t feel confident that I could determine whether or not a particular gun falls outside these restrictions, except for a simple revolver. If you could provide any specific examples, that would be extremely helpful.

OP - Are you over 21 and do you have a FOID card? Have you ever visited a gun shop?

If you don't already have the first item, the second choice is mute.

Any and ALL gun sales staff can assist you and show you the hundreds of different make and style handguns that are legal to own in Illinois, again assuming you have a valid FOID card.

If you suspect forum members are reluctant to give specific recommendations, there IS a valid reason for that reluctance, one example being anti-gun trolls who sometimes try to pass themselves off as gun owners. NOT saying that that applies to you of course.

But seriously, why not just visit your nearest gun shop and the staff will happily assist you,

Im new to guns so I dont feel confident that I could determine whether or not a particular gun falls outside these restrictions, except for a simple revolver. If you could provide any specific examples, that would be extremely helpful.

If you are not confident buy a gun you are sure falls outside of the regulations like a revolver.

If you feel that is inadequate for your protection weigh the benefits of your protection VS being sure you are 100% following the law. Or sue the city to get a legally binding answer.

Also, make sure you don't run afoul of Illinois's melt laws that state

having a barrel, slide, frame

or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a

temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

Frustrated yet? You might not of given thought to gun rights and silly gun laws, but living in Chicago definitely will motivate you to care.

If you suspect forum members are reluctant to give specific recommendations, there IS a valid reason for that reluctance, one example being anti-gun trolls who sometimes try to pass themselves off as gun owners. NOT saying that that applies to you of course.

No, really it's because nobody on this forum is qualified to give you a legally binding answer. We can't point you to a city issued document that states whether a specific handgun is legal.

The easy way would be to buy a gun from a licensed gun shop in Chicago, which could only sell guns that comply with Chicago law. Unfortunately there are no gun shops in Chicago. The closest you will find is Chuck's Gun Shop https://www.chucksgunshop.net which is in Cook County, but Cook County gun laws are slightly different then Chicago so it's important to read up and understand the differences. Especially if you ever stay overnight outside the city limits (no longer exempted under transporting).

I’m new to guns so I don’t feel confident that I could determine whether or not a particular gun falls outside these restrictions, except for a simple revolver. If you could provide any specific examples, that would be extremely helpful.

Good advice from Mr Fife, RandyP.

Disregard all the prohibited items flak.

If you are over 21 and don't have your FOID, apply for that on-line today.

LEARN GUN SAFETY.

I’m not an anti gun troll lol. But I did grow up in a family that never owned guns, so I have very limited experience with them. I am over 21 and I have applied for a FOID card, but not yet received it. I have never been to a gun shop. I was hoping I could do some research online before visiting a gun shop and being pressured by a sales clerk to buy something that is either overpriced or potentially illegal to possess in Chicago and/or Cook County. I do feel that a semi automatic handgun with a 10 round mag would serve me better than say a 5 shot revolver. But if no one can point to a specific semi auto that falls outside the Chicago/cook county restrictions, then I may have to go with the revolver route.

As a side note, I do intend to get some training and possibly apply for a concealed carry permit.

Don’t bother with a trip to the firearms store until FOID card is in your hand. They ask you for it BEFORE you handle firearms. No point in going to the store unless you are able to handle them. I bet there is not one person on here who has done all the research, handled a firearm, talked to all the sales people at the store, purchased a firearm, and still doesn’t like what they bought after firing it. I recommend going to a local range (after you receive your FOID) that rents handguns. Look at them, ask all the questions, and before you purchase, take it for a test ride.

Here are a few you can look at online, they are 10 rounds or less. Till you get things figured out on a 15 or 17 round firearm. There are alot out there. Have fun.

https://us.glock.com/products/G26%20Gen4

https://us.glock.com/Products/g48_silver_slide

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-0

FOID, then take an NRA basic pistol class. Since only the State regulates handguns now, for all practical purposes there are no Chicago handgun laws, nor a group within the Chicago Police Dept to enforce them if there were.

I suggest Point Blank in Hodgkins, The Range at 355 in Bolingbrook and Megasports in Plainfield (for the largest selection) IF you live West/Southwest.in Chicago

Maxon's in DesPlaines is good but sometimes you'll get a jerk for a clerk - happened to me only last week when I was there taking my CCW renewal class.

Where in Chicago do you live? Doubtless many forum members have their geographical favorites.

Archived