Non FOID card holder needs to sell firearms

vito

You need a FOID to purchase, not to sell. There is the gray area of possessing with out a FOID, but because of the estate, i think there is a legal buffer zone so to speak.

I vaguely remember something being mentioned about it on this forum. Where and when i don't know. Or my mind is mixing up laws. But i agree above, best thing to do is contact a reputable gun shop and see if they will process it.

Technically she's already breaking the law by possessing firearms without a FOID.

No FOID is required to sell firearms.

Someone without a FOID being required to hold firearms for 72 hours after their sale is a legal paradox best ignored.

If by "through a licensed dealer" you mean essentially "on consignment," I see no problem. In fact, if she just has a friend with a FOID (you, e.g.), I believe it's totally legit for her to sell (or even just to store until she gets a FOID or not) them that way, too. IANAL

Per 430 ILCS 65, she can maintain possession of her husband's firearms without a FOID due to his death. She can do this for 60 days if I remember correctly.

I would have her apply for a FOID. If it was my neighbor, I would help her sell the firearms. This website would be a good start. In my opinion if she goes to a gun store she will probably get pennies on the dollar for the firearms.

I don't know for sure, but I think the gun store might take issue with her not having a FOID.

KING

Per 430 ILCS 65, she can maintain possession of her husband's firearms without a FOID due to his death. She can do this for 60 days if I remember correctly.

I would have her apply for a FOID. If it was my neighbor, I would help her sell the firearms. This website would be a good start. In my opinion if she goes to a gun store she will probably get pennies on the dollar for the firearms.

I don't know for sure, but I think the gun store might take issue with her not having a FOID.

KING

Here is the quote:

430 ILCS 65/12) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-12)

Sec. 12. The provisions of this Act shall not apply to the passing or transfer of any firearm or firearm ammunition upon the death of the owner thereof to his heir or legatee or to the passing or transfer of any firearm or firearm ammunition incident to any legal proceeding or action until 60 days after such passing or transfer.

(Source: Laws 1967, p. 2600.)

This website would be a good start. In my opinion if she goes to a gun store she will probably get pennies on the dollar for the firearms.

I agree, she would get hardly anything at a shop. I wouldn't mind knowing what she had.

Same here. I would hate to see her not make what she should, that's why I suggested starting here.

Why not post them for sale here? She will realize more money then if she sold them to a dealer or put them on consignment. You could do the ISP check for her and meet the buyer with her.

I will suggest that to her, but not right now. As an organ donor his body has not yet been released to the funeral home, and the widow is delaying even making funeral arrangements until hearing from some out of town relatives. I told her when she is ready we can talk about what she wants to do with his firearms as well as his several vehicles and that I will try to help her as best I can. I truly appreciate all the good advice that has been provided already.

The neighbor that passed away was an avid hunter (I am not a hunter) and I think his widow is hoping that some of these friends either offer to buy the guns and/or assist her in selling them. I was not aware of this when I started the post earlier today but she shared that info with my wife. I am still offering to help out as needed. Thanks again for the advice.

Why not post them for sale here? She will realize more money then if she sold them to a dealer or put them on consignment. You could do the ISP check for her and meet the buyer with her.

I will suggest that to her, but not right now. As an organ donor his body has not yet been released to the funeral home, and the widow is delaying even making funeral arrangements until hearing from some out of town relatives. I told her when she is ready we can talk about what she wants to do with his firearms as well as his several vehicles and that I will try to help her as best I can. I truly appreciate all the good advice that has been provided already.

A bonus to posting them here... it seems that all of us are generally upstanding and responsible folks. I think of it as a very safe place to buy, or sell should I ever feel the need. It's like dealing with good friends.

This is another reason that spouses and children should have FOID cards only in one of them owns firearms in a family. Even though we shouldn't have to have a FOID the count of FOID holders should give pause to the anti crowd clowns.