Citizen with concealed carry permit shot at suspect who shot at Cicero officer: police

GSDlady

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/14/licensed-gun-owner-aids-illinois-cops-in-shootout-with-suspect-1-officer-injured.html

“We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

“He got out and started helping the police, which is something I’ve got to be proud of,” Cicero town President Larry Dominick told the Sun-Times.

I expect this story to disappear fast.

For years the media has been telling the public that we'll shoot innocent bystanders or be shot by the police who can't tell who the criminal is, but it never seems to happen.

When a story like this comes along they'll bury it as fast as they can. But the cops on the street can tell a "good guy" from a "bad guy" and every story like this makes them more CCW friendly.

Hi Dhan,

Second City Cop had it early this morning.

Friday, September 14, 2018

Cicero Officer Shot

Expected to recover:

A Cicero police officer was shot during an exchange of gunfire near the border between Chicago and the west suburb late Thursday afternoon that left a suspect in serious condition and at some point involved a citizen with a concealed carry license, authorities said.

The shootout happened near the Cicero exit on the Stevenson expressway around 5:05 p.m. during the evening rush hour commute, Cicero police said.

Cicero police officers tried to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation in the 3900 block of South Cicero Avenue when the driver took off, according to Cicero police superintendent Jerry Chlada, Jr.

Officers boxed the vehicle in on the southbound ramp of the Stevenson, Chlada said, and the male driver got out and fired multiple rounds at officers.

Officer Luis Duarte, 31, was hit multiple times, officials said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and his condition was stabilized.

The Chief over in Cicero was very appreciative of the assistance:

The alleged shooter then ran north on Cicero, and fired at another officer that chased him, Chlada said. A man with a concealed carry license driving south on Cicero in heavy traffic exited his vehicle and fired at the suspect, Chlada said.

“We were lucky enough to have a citizen on street that is a concealed carry holder and he engaged in gunfire with this offender who was struck one time,” Chlada said."

SCC is a firm supporter of CC.

Rich Phillips

One of the posts on SSC says that Superintendent Eddie Johnson showed up at the CCL holders house to get the mans gun.

I find that highly doubtful. The CCL holder hasnt been charged with anything, no one has any legal power to demand his firearm

I thought that was maybe satire/comedy perhaps based on other events by the supt.

I wonder how many police bother to get. a CCL.

If they’re involved in a shooting and the department takes their firearm, I think the slag is that they’ve been “strpped” I’m not sure if this means they’ve temporarily been stripped of their police powers - so they’re no longer able to carry as a LEO ?

I wonder how many police bother to get. a CCL.

If they’re involved in a shooting and the department takes their firearm, I think the slag is that they’ve been “strpped” I’m not sure if this means they’ve temporarily been stripped of their police powers - so they’re no longer able to carry as a LEO ?

Unless they are suspended without pay or a similar policy for likely wrongdoing, they still have full police powers and get a replacement gun. When my guys were involved in shootings, I handed them my own pistol as a sign of good faith and support that they had done right, I had their back, and gave them a well functioning/ sighted in piece. I'd use a backup gun until they had their temporary pistol/ rifle secured and sighted in.

And right on cue...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-cicero-shooting-update-20180914-story.html

"Concealed carry licensee called hero for intervening when man fires on police, but 'it could have gone the other way'"

These folks are so predictable - they even trot out an instructor to make their case:

David Lombardo is a concealed carry instructor who has trained more than 7,000 people to get their state licenses. Based on media accounts, Lombardo said that since the concealed carry holder wasn’t being shot at, “technically, he should not have been engaged.”

So, based on a scenario the reporters gave me; which may or may not be remotely close to the actual facts...

Dude should've just said "I don't know the facts, therefore I can't comment." He had to know his "analysis" would be used this way.

Whose judgement do you question more - CCW holder who assists police, or CCW Instructor who talks to the Tribune?

The instructor seems to have violated his own principles in that he has assumed the FCCL holder was ignorant of the circumstances around the shooter. If the FCCL holder witnessed the attempted murder of a police officer and the following flight and attempted murder of the second officer, then no additional knowledge of anything prior is relevant.

From the quote, the attitude of the instructor would foreclose any action against any shooter unless the FCCL holder is being shot at even it doing so would save many innocent lives.

I will give the instructor the benefit of the doubt that his comments as a whole were proper, and this soundbite was taken out of context.

The decision to act in defense of a third party is a personal decision and should not be taught as part of a curriculum of non-involvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the posts on SSC says that Superintendent Eddie Johnson showed up at the CCL holders house to get the man’s gun. I find that highly doubtful. The CCL holder hasn’t been charged with anything, no one has any legal power to demand his firearm

Whether Eddie or another cop did I would be surprised if they did not. They would need the firearm to do ballistics tests to account for bullets, especially any recovered from within the perpetrator.

And right on cue...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-cicero-shooting-update-20180914-story.html

"Concealed carry licensee called hero for intervening when man fires on police, but 'it could have gone the other way'"

These folks are so predictable - they even trot out an instructor to make their case:

David Lombardo is a concealed carry instructor who has trained more than 7,000 people to get their state licenses. Based on media accounts, Lombardo said that since the concealed carry holder wasnt being shot at, technically, he should not have been engaged.

So, based on a scenario the reporters gave me; which may or may not be remotely close to the actual facts...

Dude should've just said "I don't know the facts, therefore I can't comment." He had to know his "analysis" would be used this way.

Whose judgement do you question more - CCW holder who assists police, or CCW Instructor who talks to the Tribune?

Who is this guy?

Edit - ok, the guys entire quote has a much different feel. That wasnt a very good selective quote, jrc905:

David Lombardo is a concealed carry instructor who has trained more than 7,000 people to get their state licenses. Based on media accounts, Lombardo said that since the concealed carry holder wasnt being shot at, technically, he should not have been engaged.

But, Lombardo added, speaking as a former part-time deputy and an ex-military guy, the (citizen) was an angel. He knew what he was doing, he got involved when he didnt have to and he saved the cops life. The bad guy could have hit somebody else too. So who knows how many lives (the citizen) saved?

Archived