Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

I sometimes work at my friends liquor store so what is the law with that.Reason I'm asking I asked few local cops and they would say Ya sure as long as you got the concealed you are good.Then again they could be saying that then the second I carry slap a case on me ?

I've not seen liquor stores posted, generally. The liquor license for just selling is different from serving, and I would think they would have been informed by now if they were required to post. You can't knowingly carry if it's not specifically named in the law, or not posted.

If you have permission from the owner, you could carry in FOID only days, as well, since it's a fixed place of business.

Edited by Trevis

I sometimes work at my friends liquor store so what is the law with that.Reason I'm asking I asked few local cops and they would say Ya sure as long as you got the concealed you are good.Then again they could be saying that then the second I carry slap a case on me ?

I've not seen liquor stores posted, generally. The liquor license for just selling is different from serving, and I would think they would have been informed by now if they were required to post. You can't knowingly carry if it's not specifically named in the law, or not posted.

If you have permission from the owner, you could carry in FOID only days, as well, since it's a fixed place of business.

Tbh I use to carry before as you said during the foid days but now that I have my concealed carry Im unsure.As I said I spoke to few cpd they said Ya sure as long as you got the ccw you can carry here.Then again as I said they could say one thing pop up check me and make an example out of me.

There is NO prohibition on liquor stores.

(9) Any building, real property, and parking area

under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol. The owner of an establishment who knowingly fails to prohibit concealed firearms on its premises as provided in this paragraph or who knowingly makes a false statement or record to avoid the prohibition on concealed firearms under this paragraph is subject to the penalty under subsection (c-5) of Section 10-1 of the Liquor Control Act of 1934.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I found something interesting about post office parking areas...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/

What's this mean for us?

This has been covered before. It only refers to Bonidy and no one else.

The attached threads were locked for a reason.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48137&hl=bonidy&do=findComment&comment=728516

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48587&hl=bonidy

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48050&hl=bonidy&do=findComment&comment=725798

Edited by spec5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for the group. A freind of mine has a company in Franklin Park. Their work force is prodomenatly Hispanic. They are having a hard time getting workers because they [company] runs a criminal back ground check for all new hires. Most of these men can't pass the back ground checks. Since they have all these "ex-cons" (for lack of a better term) coming in to fill out applications they put the sticker on the front door (insane right) so if any of the job searchers might have a gun on them they will leave it in the car. BUT being the conservitive that he is, he wants to get his CCL. He thinks that since he owns the property he exempt from this and will be able to carry on the premissis. What do you all think?

If he owns the property, HE doesn't need an FCCL to carry on the property.

That being said, if he has posted to stop "ex-cons" who "can't pass a background check" from bringing their guns in, I would probably point out to him that they will also be unable to obtain the FCCL, and that it is NO MORE ILLEGAL for them to carry their firearms past the sign than if it didn't exist.

I guess I didn't explain it correctly.

A person owns a business. That person puts an Illinois State approved "no firearm" sticker on the doors, making the building a legal compliant "gun free zone". Does the owner of the business have the right to carry a firearm in that business?

If the business is "posted", who has the right to carry in said business?

A person owns a business. That person puts an Illinois State approved "no firearm" sticker on the doors, making the building a legal compliant "gun free zone". Does the owner of the business have the right to carry a firearm in that business?

The sign is driven by the FCCA. A business owner is allowed to carry outside the scope of the FCCA by following the (Aggravated) Unlawful Use of Weapons exemptions--which existed long before the FCCA was published.

So the owner isn't carrying pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65, which is cited on the sign, and is therefore still compliant with the law.

Edited by kwc

The sign is driven by the FCCA. A business owner is allowed to carry outside the scope of the FCCA by following the (Aggravated) Unlawful Use of Weapons exemptions--which existed long before the FCCA was published.

So the owner isn't carrying pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65, which is cited on the sign, and is therefore still compliant with the law.

Thank you, that sounds good.

I was telling one of his employees that he needs to take that sign down if he wanted to carry, so I was mistaken.

Winnebago County Forest Preserves question (again)...

I've read through this thread for clarification. I have a preserve with a public bike path that is paved and runs briefly though the preserve. I'm pretty sure that I'm ok riding on that with the family and carrying.

This same preserve has walking/bike paths (dirt), a camp ground and a playground. At first, I thought I might be ok carrying as long as I avoided the playground and stayed on the paths, but I'm not convinced.

http://winnebagoforest.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/OrdinancesGeneralUseReg.pdf

The Winn Forest Preserve states on page 7:

Pg 7

F. Weapons and harmful substances.

Have at any time in their possession or on or about their person, concealed or otherwise, any weapon

including but not limited to, a firearm, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow (except those set

up for fishing), slingshot, cross bow, spear or spear gun, switchblade knife, stiletto, sword, blackjack,

billy club, whip, or any weapon capable of discharging a projectile by air, spirit, gas, or explosive, any

explosive substance or harmful solid, liquid or gaseous substance, or any other dangerous weapon,

except at those ranges or areas designated for their use, and then only in accordance with the rules,

regulations, and restrictions duly set forth for the proper use of such ranges or areas. Nothing

contained herein shall be construed to prevent any sheriff's forest preserve police, deputy, sheriff,

coroner, game warden, state policeman, or any other duly sworn peace officer from carrying such

weapons as may be authorized by law and necessary in the discharge of their duties, nor shall it apply

to any person summoned by any such.

This was reviewed in 2009.

Any insight would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this , but does anyone know if the parking lot for the VA hospital in North Chicago is safe to have my firearm in the car, or is this considered a military installation ? I have to attend a meeting there tomorrow night so any help would be apriciated

Thanks

As far as previous discussion here, firearms are NOT permitted on the property of VA medical facilities whatsoever.......no parking lot provisions Edited by firepiper

not fair..., they tried to trick me!

Library removed CPZ sign and I thought perhaps they'd relaxed their worries. Then to be sure I reread the 23 prohibited zones and noted #5, any building under the control of a unit of local government.

Dang... (yes, I knew better to begin with)

It seems to me that any building that falls under the 23 prohibited areas should be required to post just to avoid confusion.

not fair..., they tried to trick me!

Library removed CPZ sign and I thought perhaps they'd relaxed their worries. Then to be sure I reread the 23 prohibited zones and noted #5, any building under the control of a unit of local government.

Dang... (yes, I knew better to begin with)

It seems to me that any building that falls under the 23 prohibited areas should be required to post just to avoid confusion.

Libraries are specifically prohibited anyway - #18.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone invest with a local Edward Jones branch? I don’t typically frequent my broker’s office, but happened to stop in for some paperwork. I noticed he had posted the IL no firearms sign on his door. So went to another EJ office here in town and there also was posted.

I reviewed the list of forbidden zones and cannot come up with anything that would indicate that this type of office is “required” to post.

Does anyone else invest with these guys and does anyone know if it is their choice to be posting or is it required, something I’m possibly missing in the list?

Does anyone invest with a local Edward Jones branch? I don’t typically frequent my broker’s office, but happened to stop in for some paperwork. I noticed he had posted the IL no firearms sign on his door. So went to another EJ office here in town and there also was posted.

I reviewed the list of forbidden zones and cannot come up with anything that would indicate that this type of office is “required” to post.

Does anyone else invest with these guys and does anyone know if it is their choice to be posting or is it required, something I’m possibly missing in the list?

Not in the law, it's corporate policy. Take your money elsewhere.