With CLEO requirement for NFA items likely gone, what could effectively be done to bring them to IL?

EngChi

A question to the forum is in the topic title - with CLEO sign off likely to be removed , what (if anything) could be done to bring NFA items to IL. In particular I am interested in sound suppressors as health and public nuance issue... if (God forbid) I have to ever use a gun inside of the home, I would love the option to suppress it , as the idea of having to run around looking for hearing protection to put on wife, 4 year old, and new born at the same time, or near certainty of dealing with long term/permanent hearing damage is not a fun one..

What could be done other than moving to Indiana?

Thank you

Suppressors and autos are banned by name so the only way to get those is to pass a law to the contrary. Doubtful full autos will ever be available to us.

But seems like every year they bring up a bill to allow us to own suppressors and it gets shot down.

I agree that it just makes sense to allow us to use suppressors. Our hearing is more important than some fantasy the antis have that everyone is gonna be running around like ninja assassins after passing that bill. Just more non-reality based fear mongering legislating from your IL government. What else is new. If you can get out just do it. You're better off for many other non-gun related reasons as well.

Well, we got SBR's in IL

I'm certain getting suppressor's is realistic. We have the right people working on that and I think they can get it done.

I wish legislators had to prove their reason for infringing on our constitutional right. The fact is that these NFA items are not used for criminal purposes.

I would like to see the following, in order:

1) Remove FFL03 requirement for NFA (SBR) ownership (this is now redundant as of 180 days of filing 41F in the Federal Register, approximately July).

2) Allow trusts to hold NFA items

3) Suppressors

4) Machine guns

1.5) Remove 26in OAL requirement for SBRs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I would like to see the following, in order:

1) Remove FFL03 requirement for NFA (SBR) ownership (this is now redundant as of 180 days of filing 41F in the Federal Register, approximately July).

2) Allow trusts to hold NFA items

3) Suppressors

4) Machine guns

1.5) Remove 26in OAL requirement for SBRs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

+1

Forgot about that one. The only reason I personally would like to see it is I'm a HK PDW fan :)

I think we have a fair chance of getting suppressors in the next few years. So many states have already approved them, what 5 states left? Illinois does seem to like being the very, very last.

The big sticking point is Madigan and Cullerton. Once they've retired or voted out (or in Madigan's case, die of old age) then we have a chance of getting something done. Let's not forget that Illinois is very-pro gun, it's just that we've been held hostage by people like Madigan and a long string of anti-gun governors forever, and now that we have a pro-gun governor, we just need a pro-gun speaker in the House and Senate. We already have the necessary support in the general assembly.

I think we have a fair chance of getting suppressors in the next few years. So many states have already approved them, what 5 states left? Illinois does seem to like being the very, very last.

The big sticking point is Madigan and Cullerton. Once they've retired or voted out (or in Madigan's case, die of old age) then we have a chance of getting something done. Let's not forget that Illinois is very-pro gun, it's just that we've been held hostage by people like Madigan and a long string of anti-gun governors forever, and now that we have a pro-gun governor, we just need a pro-gun speaker in the House and Senate. We already have the necessary support in the general assembly.

Someone worse will replace them. It may be a hard, grueling search but someone worse will replace them. Maybe even little Lisa.

I hope you're right but think you're nuts unless there is some court case pending

I would absolutely love a Scorp Evo SBR or Kriss Vector SBR in 9mm with a sound suppressor and 3 round burst for home defense.

Hecler40 said in post #7 that OAL requirement is >26 inches. I know SBR stands for short barrel rifle, what does OAL stand for?

Over All Length

Todd us usually up on all this NFA stuff.

I haven't seen any posts from him.

Anybody heard from him?

Maybe he's busy heading off Bloomberg and the Moms....

He's been out at SHOTshow. Posting to Facebook fairly regularly.
SHOT doesn't start till next week.
Pre-SHOT show festivities started yesterday. Today and tomorrow is multiple range days for various groups and manufacturers. Monday is the official Shot Show media range day and then the show starts on Tuesday. Most of the fun stuff is over by the time the show starts. It's the pre-show stuff that's super fun. When the show starts, it's all business. And parties but that's business too.

• 1 month later...

Well, we got SBR's in IL

We have watered-down SBRs, they can have <16in barrels, but still need to be >27in OAL Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OAL requirement is 26" or greater.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71300000

I believe this is a misreading of the law and have had this discussion with a number of people. Clarification was giving originally to ATF regarding the two clauses of the paragraph. In that clarification was pointed out that clauses A and B of the paragraph were fully independent of one another and complete within themselves. As the statute reads, one can own a rifle with a barrel (or barrels) less than 16" if:

A. the person has a C&R license, or

B. the person is a member of a reenactment group, etc.; and the OAL > 26"

Thus, the way it is worded applies the OAL provision only if one does not have a C&R, but is a member of a reenactment group.

In most cases, it's a moot distinction, since the OAL of an AR type SBR is not likely to be shorter than 26" with stock fully extended. My 9" 300 BLK is 27.5 fully extended, excluding muzzle device.

Regarding silencers, I think it will come in the next toward or two.

Well, we got SBR's in IL

I'm certain getting suppressor's is realistic. We have the right people working on that and I think they can get it done.

I wish legislators had to prove their reason for infringing on our constitutional right. The fact is that these NFA items are not used for criminal purposes.

Didn't we essentially sneak the SBR law under Quinn's nose and got him to unknowingly sign it? If so, we should do the same for silencers.

Yeah it was a giant ruse that took a couple years to yield the end result. Had to keep it hush hush until they couldn't do anything about it. I don't know how his readers missed it haha. Clear as day.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived