Response time from ISRA or NRA membership?

mab22

Just a question about response time when joining ISRA and NRA.

On 02/09/19 I went to my local range and signed up for the ISRA and the NRA on paper, I thought I would let them get credit for joining through them....(maybe I was wrong trying to give them credit for joining), and yes I have the receipts.

Its now 02/25/19, 2 full weeks later, no mail or emails.

Does it really take this long to even get a thank you post card in the mail, let alone an email, or are they typically faster than this?

Thanks in advance,

I've had NRA communication take months to arrive...

Same here. I expect by summer.

But I expect I will get 10 solicitations for funds between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, I've literally had them ask for more money during the exact same phone call.

I think it was when I called to upgrade from Endowment Life to Patron Life. There was, of course, a major shooting that had just happened, so there were lots of new Laws being proposed... so I called to upgrade.

At the end of the call, they pointed out the latest push for gun control, and asked if I could make an emergency donation.

I replied, "This IS my emergency donation!"

I renewed online for my ISRA membership, for a 3-year Hero's Membership, on the 21st of this month, and got my renewal letter and card in the mail yesterday, the 25th. When I have the spare cash, I'll spring for the lifetime membership.

As for the NRA, I'm a Lifetime Disabled Veteran member, and they send me offers for higher level memberships about once a month. I'm not sure I need those, because I want to also get memberships for other firearm rights organizations, as well. They need my money more than the NRA does at present.

NRA is a waste of money. They spend too much of your money on the large scale business operation they are running with absurd administrative overhead. They are also too soft and accepting to "compromise" which means your rights violated.

ISRA is good place for your money.

The other good place to donate is the 2nd Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America, both who have a hard stance 2A defense, no compromise.

NRA is a waste of money. They spend too much of your money on the large scale business operation they are running with absurd administrative overhead. They are also too soft and accepting to "compromise" which means your rights violated.

ISRA is good place for your money.

The other good place to donate is the 2nd Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America, both who have a hard stance 2A defense, no compromise.

Whole heartedly agree with you here. There are far better national options to support that will do more to further gun rights than the NRA do. It baffles me that the NRA has so much support when a large portion of the gun laws on the books are in no small part thanks to them. I will say the NRA's Call to Action section is much more user friendly than GOA when it comes organization and finding action relevant to Illinois.

GOA is an excellent one, and I know 2nd Amendment Foundation was part of McDonald v. Chicago. I also like Firearms Policy Coalition.

As for the NRA, I'm a Lifetime Disabled Veteran member, and they send me offers for higher level memberships about once a month. I'm not sure I need those, because I want to also get memberships for other firearm rights organizations, as well. They need my money more than the NRA does at present.

Ronin - first off, being a DV, "Thanks".

I started off with the NRA as your typical Annual membership. Then I got the chance to go "Life" for 1/2 price and with easy, interest-free payments about 20 years ago. About 10 years ago, I got the same chance to go to "Endowment" and did.

Now, I'm getting the "push" to go to "Patron" but no desire to do so. The NRA's lack of support for bump stocks and "open" carry leaves me wondering. I realize that they have a "financial interest" with a clothing line, holsters, etc., for concealed carry, but there are enough people out there, not just members, that they could support both methods.

Being of "limited means" now (ret.) means I have to be careful. While I would like to donate to ISRA, GOA, and SAF, I can't at this time. I also don't know if I will be able to stay in Illinois much longer, particularly if that ridiculous P.o.S. bill about magazines gets passed.

There's an opposing opinion of, "How bad would things be now if we didn't have the NRA?"

Thats the beauty of America..... everyone can have their opinion.... no matter how little sense it makes in todays world

That argument is the same were hear every day about unions........ where would workers be..... how much worse would it be.... blah blah

Just like unions the NRA played an important role in some long ago time and place

Now just like the unions they are simply a power and money hungry organization leeching off long held sentiment...... just like the unions dont care about workers rights, the NRA doesnt care about gun rights

The only time either will jump in to a true fight for rights is after the referee has reached a 9 count and the opponent is still laying on the mat

Dont despise the NRA for what theyve done in the past..... despise them for what they are not doing in the present

• 1 month later...

There's an opposing opinion of, "How bad would things be now if we didn't have the NRA?"

Thats the beauty of America..... everyone can have their opinion.... no matter how little sense it makes in todays world

That argument is the same were hear every day about unions........ where would workers be..... how much worse would it be.... blah blah

Just like unions the NRA played an important role in some long ago time and place

Now just like the unions they are simply a power and money hungry organization leeching off long held sentiment...... just like the unions dont care about workers rights, the NRA doesnt care about gun rights

The only time either will jump in to a true fight for rights is after the referee has reached a 9 count and the opponent is still laying on the mat

Dont despise the NRA for what theyve done in the past..... despise them for what they are not doing in the present

Cope,

I know it's late but I just joined this Forum. Finally, someone who fully understands the true nature of "layperson politics". I totally agree.

It's hard to find an organization - maybe impossible - that we will agree with 100% all the time. However, past and present we would be in a world of hurt without the NRA. They are made up of a lot different parts: educational, legislative, legal . Each part has its strengths and weaknesses. I would not like to imagine our country without the NRA.

I'm still weighing my options, haven't signed up with ISRA yet and my NRA membership (since the mid-80's) will be expiring in 2021.

During the period of time dealing with my injury as a Police Officer (now retired because of it) and subsequent household move, my NRA instructor certs expired. I guess renewal wasn't at the top of my Things to Do List.

Now that things have settled down, I've been trying to get my certs renewed. After several attempts to contact and a long time waiting for a response, the NRA finally stated that my certs had been expired too long (over a year) and that I needed to retake all of the instructor classes. I advised them that I am currently an Illinois State certified firearms instructor, Law Enforcement Instructor, and CCW instructor. This didn't make any difference to them. Also, there are no NRA Counselor/Instructors anywhere near me. I would have to travel quite a distance (more than once) and added expense to do so. I requested additional info how to possibly work around this. No response.

I think I'm done with the NRA. Yes, the NRA has done many good things but it's gotten too politically and administratively top-heavy, and it's all about the money (salaries and elections); not what's right for the members. When my membership expires in June 2021, I will not renew.

Have you noticed many states have gone independent? Whether Pro or Anti, many states are doing their own thing when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. Though essential in many ways, lately the NRA has not been a factor as much as state and local governments are passing their own laws contrary to what the Feds say. Until now, I would have thought impossible, but the way things are going, civil war or revolution is in the wind. I hope not, but wasn't America founded on certain ideals and principles? If only Chicago would become a state, California become their own country, and New York City? Well, I have my own thoughts on them and not willing to share at this time. Also, the Democrats and Liberals should move to England, Australia, or NZ. Wouldn't they more comfortable there?

Meanwhile, I will support Sanctuary Counties and signup with gun rights orgs dedicated to protecting gun owners in THIS state. ISRA at first.

Thanks for listening.

For what I would assume is a lot of us, the NRA pistol instructor quals is the reason we keep our memberships!

Not every CCL instructor is former or current law enforcement etc.

So we need these quals to keep our ability to instruct here in Illinois.

Although i too am not fully happy about the NRA and the constant asking for more and more, I need the membership.

When i took the class to be an instructor iirc there was 2 state officers in our class.

They both stated they need this to do ccl as they were retiring soon.

IANAL

YMMV

IMHO

LOL

While I do not agree with every NRA decision, they are a great force for good in gun rights. Just look at how badly the anti's (Bloomberg & his many crony organizations) hate them. They hate the NRA because they are afraid of the NRA. I am absolutely proud to be a lifetime NRA member, and am looking forward to going to the NRA convention in Indianapolis in 2 weeks.

For what I would assume is a lot of us, the NRA pistol instructor quals is the reason we keep our memberships!

Not every CCL instructor is former or current law enforcement etc.

So we need these quals to keep our ability to instruct here in Illinois.

Although i too am not fully happy about the NRA and the constant asking for more and more, I need the membership.

When i took the class to be an instructor iirc there was 2 state officers in our class.

They both stated they need this to do ccl as they were retiring soon.

IANAL

YMMV

IMHO

LOL

FYI, Just my 2 cents - The 2 State Police officers you mentioned saying they were retiring soon and needed a CCL. Not accurately stated. They actually NEEDED their IROCC (Illinois Retired Officer Concealed Carry) certification/license to carry concealed. The regular CCL is for concealed carry by civilians and civilian CCW instructors. Retired police officers need only the IROCC cert for concealed carry.

The IROCC cert is renewed annually and the CCW is every 5 years. The CCW Instructor cert has no expiration. Perhaps, with the CCL, they wanted the ability to carry beyond 1 year without having to renew? IROCC is $75 every year. I think the CCL is much cheaper and every 5 years. Also, an Illinois CCW Instructor does not require a NRA instructor's license to teach CCW, only for NRA classes.

Being a retired police office and Viet Nam vet, the term "CYA" was burned into my psychie. So, I have both the IROCC and CCW Instructor licenses, Illinois State Law Enforcement Instructor Cert (for pistol, rifle, shotgun), and teach Long Range Precision Rifle shooting (and currently my NRA membership).

Thanks for listening to my babble.

It's hard to find an organization - maybe impossible - that we will agree with 100% all the time. However, past and present we would be in a world of hurt without the NRA. They are made up of a lot different parts: educational, legislative, legal . Each part has its strengths and weaknesses. I would not like to imagine our country without the NRA.

Trolls imagine the USA without the NRA.

Archived