101st General Assembly 2019 & 2020 Bills

mauserme

This is the thread where we list the bills we're following in the 2019 Spring Session. The lists will eventually include bills filed, approved in committee, potentially passed from one house to the other or passed into law.

When bills of interest are scheduled to potentially be heard in a committee we'll send an email alert with links, and duplicate that alert in a separate thread on the forum and on our Facebook page.

The bills I listed today were filed today, so they are early in the process - too early for witness slips. We'll see what happens but it looks like we'll be doing another alert this weekend so watch for that.

This is the thread where we list the bills we're following in the 2019 Spring Session. The lists will eventually include bills filed, approved in committee, potentially passed from one house to the other or passed into law.

When bills of interest are scheduled to potentially be heard in a committee we'll send an email alert with links, and duplicate that alert in a separate thread on the forum and on our Facebook page.

The bills I listed today were filed today, so they are early in the process - too early for witness slips. We'll see what happens but it looks like we'll be doing another alert this weekend so watch for that.

Thanks for the clarification!

Yesterday was the deadline to file new substantive bills in the House and Senate. Needless to say, a few legislators saved theirs to the last minute.

I added these bills to the lists today:

House

Support

HB3001 Firearms - US Armed Forces

HB3009 Crom Pro - Firearm Seizure

HB3079 FOIRS - Non-Resident Competitor

HB3142 Crim Cd - Confiscated Weapons

HB3159 Conceal Carry Act - Military ID

HB3165 Firearm Owners ID - Records

HB3166 Corrections Off - Carry Firearm

HB3173 Crim Cd - Firearm Waiting Period

HB3174 Conceal Carry - Public Transport

HB3176 Firearms - Municipal Regulation

HB3410 Crim Cd - Firearm Waiting Period

HB3448 Firearm Owners ID - 18 Years

HB3449 Firearm Owners ID - Local Reg

HB3454 Wildlife Cd - Firearm Exemption

HB3457 Concealed Carry - Officials

HB3458 Concealed Carry - Lic Review Bd

HB3461 Crim Cd - Firearm - Waiting Period

HB3462 Sch Cd - Hunting Ed Course

HB3465 Crim Cd - Firearm Transport

HB3546 Concealed Carry Lic - Military

Oppose

HB3023 Concealed Carry - Church Prohibit

HB3104 Firearms - Fingerprinting

HB3169 Crim Cd - Ban Bump-Fire Stock

HB3170 Machine Gun - Penalties

HB3189 Crim Cd - Devices - Rate of Fire

HB3197 Gunrunning & Firearm Traffic Assessment

HB3510 Use/Occ Tax - Firearms

HB3529 Crim Cd - Lge Cap Ammo & Ammo Fd

HB3562 Firearms - Opiode Dependency

HB3698 Crim Cd - Multiple Sale of Firearm

Neutral

HB3463 Firearms - Retired Officers

HB3576 Health - Violence Prevention

HJRCA24 Conamend - Hunt & Fish

Senate

Support

SB1815 Firearms - License Renewal

SB1879 Firearm Dealer - Exemption

Oppose

SB1713 Firearm Restraining Orders

SB1802 Bail - Firearm Offenses

Neutral

SB1801 ICJIA - Firearm Crimes

While I know this may be a tad off topic, I feel it needs to be stated. We play defense too much, I recently viewed a GOA video about national reciprocity and how they feel this can keep the grabers occupied, coincidently I was also listening to Dan Carlins hardcore history podcast on the blueprint for Armageddon and how successful modern armys strike hard and fast (paraphrasing). Well thinking about the both lead me to thinking about a deep strike that may keep the grabbers at bay. Section 22 of the Illinois Constitution is in violation of more then one amendment to the US Constitution, why cant we strike at the heart of the problem and sue them in federal court, tie up the states legal resources in court and give these legislators something to think about besides unconstitutional laws. Maybe Im naive but Id be willing to throw some money at the cause.

Im open to your commentary, yes I know I dont post a lot/or at all. Im a lurker who usually spends more time working then surfing the web but I am politically active and have flesh in the game.

Have we reached the "date" where no more new bills can be filed and we would just be watching for changes to shell bills?

The filing deadline for bills was last Friday in both bodies (the deadline is by rule, so exceptions can be made). We could still see some resolutions being filed, and certainly amendments to both shell and sustantive bills.

While I know this may be a tad off topic, I feel it needs to be stated. We play defense too much, I recently viewed a GOA video about national reciprocity and how they feel this can keep the grabers occupied, coincidently I was also listening to Dan Carlins hardcore history podcast on the blueprint for Armageddon and how successful modern armys strike hard and fast (paraphrasing). Well thinking about the both lead me to thinking about a deep strike that may keep the grabbers at bay. Section 22 of the Illinois Constitution is in violation of more then one amendment to the US Constitution, why cant we strike at the heart of the problem and sue them in federal court, tie up the states legal resources in court and give these legislators something to think about besides unconstitutional laws. Maybe Im naive but Id be willing to throw some money at the cause.

Im open to your commentary, yes I know I dont post a lot/or at all. Im a lurker who usually spends more time working then surfing the web but I am politically active and have flesh in the game.

IllinoisCarry has always subscribed to a three prong approach to gun rights - legislative, judicial, and electoral. I usually think of a forth, public relations, as being part of it too.

More to your point, there is judicial activity both at the state and federal level. When we win, and cases are chosen carefully to increase the likelihood of a win, each builds upon the ones that came before it. Thinking in those terms it might make more sense to let the New York case play out in SCOTUS before going after that section of the Illinois Constitution.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something, or is SB1497, the same bill as SB0107?

There are multiple AWB bills. Those two were both by Morrison and yes, they do appear to be the same. I suppose there is a strategy in doing so, but with all the shell bills I am not sure what it might be.

HB2878 Martin J. Moylan

SB1497 Julie A. Morrison

SB0107Julie A. Morrison

• 2 weeks later...

A new one today

SB2241 FIREARMS-REVOCATION NOTICE

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2241&GAID=15&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=120833&SessionID=108&GA=101

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a person who receives a revocation notice under the Act and refuses to surrender his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides and complete a Firearm Disposition Record within 48 hours commits a Class 2 felony when he or she has been admonished by the court under the Code of Criminal Procedure regarding his or her inability to own or possess firearms or firearm ammunition. Amends the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963. Provides that if the defendant pleads guilty to any felony offense, domestic battery, aggravated domestic battery, or any other offense which would prohibit the defendant from acquiring or possessing firearms or firearm ammunition, the plea shall not be accepted until the defendant signs a written acknowledgement indicating whether the defendant is currently in possession of any firearms, that the defendant understands he or she cannot own or possess a firearm or firearm ammunition under State and federal law, and that any firearms in his or her possession must be confiscated by the local law enforcement agency where the defendant resides in accordance with the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Makes other changes. Effective immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

and yesterday

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3818&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=120932&SessionID=108&GA=101

HB3818 FIREARM OWNERS ID ACT-REPEAL

Synopsis As Introduced

Repeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes. Effective January 1, 2020.

and yesterday

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3818&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=120932&SessionID=108&GA=101

HB3818 FIREARM OWNERS ID ACT-REPEAL

Synopsis As Introduced

Repeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes. Effective January 1, 2020.

I just saw that too.

I wonder how it differs from his HB3167.

and yesterdayhttp://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3818&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=120932&SessionID=108&GA=101HB3818 FIREARM OWNERS ID ACT-REPEALSynopsis As IntroducedRepeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes. Effective January 1, 2020.

I just saw that too.I wonder how it differs from his HB3167.
Noticed one is effective immediately while the other is 1/1/20.

and yesterdayhttp://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3818&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=120932&SessionID=108&GA=101HB3818 FIREARM OWNERS ID ACT-REPEALSynopsis As IntroducedRepeals the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Amends various Acts to make conforming changes. Effective January 1, 2020.

I just saw that too.I wonder how it differs from his HB3167.

I kinda like the fact that this one has 2 Democrat sponsors and 2 Republican sponsors.

A true bipartisan bill.

HB3825 FIREARM SAFETY CURRICULUM ACT

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3825&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=121046&SessionID=108&GA=101

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Firearm Safety Curriculum Act. Provides that, beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, each school district may include in its curriculum a unit of instruction on firearm safety and accident prevention for all students in the first grade; specifies what the course must include. Provides that each student who attends the course must be tested on the curriculum after completion of the course and must be given educational materials to take home to his or her parent or guardian. Provides that if a school district offers the course, it must provide written or electronic notice of the course to each parent or guardian of a student in first grade no later than 7 days before the course is scheduled to occur. Provides that a parent or guardian may elect, through written or electronic communication, to have his or her child not attend the course. Effective July 1, 2020.

• 1 month later...

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3839&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=121476&SessionID=108&GA=101

HB3839 STATE POLICE-FOID REVOCATION

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Department of State Police Law of the Civil Administrative Code of Illinois. Provides that the State Police shall establish a Portal for use by federal, State, or local law enforcement agencies, including State's Attorneys and the Attorney General to capture a report of persons whose Firearm Owner's Identification Cards have been revoked or suspended. Creates the Firearm Recovery Task Force led by the State Police to seize and recover the Firearm Owner's Identification Cards of revoked persons and to enforce the revocation and suspension of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under the Firearm Owner's Identification Card Act. Amends the Firearm Owner's Identification Card Act. Provides that the State Police shall include in the report the reason the person's Firearm Owner's Identification Card was revoked or suspended. Amends the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963. Provides the defendant shall physically surrender all firearms in his or her possession to a law enforcement agency designated by the court to take custody of and impound the firearms and physically surrender his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the law enforcement agency as a condition of remaining on bond pending sentencing when the offense the person has been charged with is a forcible felony, stalking, aggravated stalking, domestic battery, any violation of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, the Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act, or the Cannabis Control Act that is classified as a Class 2 or greater felony, or any felony violation of the Deadly Weapons Article of the Criminal Code of 1961 or the Criminal Code of 2012. Amends the Freedom of Information Act and the Unified Code of Corrections to make conforming changes. to make conforming changes. Makes other changes. Effective immediately.

Archived