Photo

Appealing a REVOKED FOID

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Novakj126

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

It has been over 365 days since I've appealed my revoked FOID. My FOID was revoked in 2014 for a minor marijuana case which was dropped after the probation period. No judgment was made on the case, no convictions, etc. All of the appropriate documentation of this, as well as everything required for the appeal, has been received by ISP Springfield office since September of 2017. I have not heard anything from them.

I was lucky enough to have Molly B. submit a few inquiries about my process, but still no luck. The next step I'm going to try is getting state rep offices involved. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Novakj126, 11 October 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#2 wolfcreek

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

New member looking for comments. While living in Illinois Spent 4 days in hospital (My choice) in July 2013.FOID card pulled.Moved &Was living in Arizona until last year.I know,I know.Why did I come back :).Upon leaving Arizona sold all my firearms.Went through violence risk potential & psychological evaluation by licensed clinical psychologist.This consisted of Shipley-2  anger disorder scale, personality assessment ,inventory personal history,substance abuse screening,history clinical risk 20 version three (HCR-20-v-3)  structured assessment of protective factors(SAPROF-2) and in person clinical interview.It has of course been over 5 years since my going to the hospital.I sent in my appeal certified mail & it was recived on August 29 of this year. My Doctor sent in his required info and evaluation (Low Risk Potential) which is lowest level an individual can attain for this type of risk evaluation.His paper work was sent in on the same day.Have I done everything & what do you think are my chances ?I lived in Illinois all my life so I know all about how the system works.Any positive input would be appreciated.While in Arizona I had (still have) a conceal carry permit.Non-residents can have conceal carry in Az.I carried every day & shot at the range(Pima Pistol Club) weekly.As I mentioned.I sold all my firearms (6) before leaving Arizona.Along with a lot of ammunition.Thanks !

#3 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

I think it may come down to how the ISP interprets "Low Risk Potential".  With the big push to keeps guns out of the hands of people with mental issues the ISP may simply refuse to even consider granting you a FOID since it appears you do pose a risk even if it's low.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#4 wolfcreek

• 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

Time to move back to Arizona. One question.Do they at least inform you one way or the other.Or just blow you off and put your appeal in the trash ?

Edited by wolfcreek, 30 October 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#5 lockman

• Members
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:56 AM

I think it may come down to how the ISP interprets "Low Risk Potential".  With the big push to keeps guns out of the hands of people with mental issues the ISP may simply refuse to even consider granting you a FOID since it appears you do pose a risk even if it's low.

Potential Catch 22 here, no doctor or clinician would construct an evaluation stating no risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#6 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

Time to move back to Arizona. One question.Do they at least inform you one way or the other.Or just blow you off and put your appeal in the trash ?

They should eventually inform you.  But as noted by the OP, it sometime takes them more than a year to make a decision.  A couple options available are to reach out to your State Representative (as they can help move the process along in some cases by an inquiry from their office), or also reach out to Molly B on this board.  She has communication with the ISP and sometimes is able to assist IllioisCarry members in getting answers.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#7 wolfcreek

• 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the input.I did in fact contact Molly.Who was very helpful.It helps to be connected with Illinois Carry.I'll just take it a day at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users