Jump to content


Clear answer on what to do with FOID/CCL when leaving the state

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kevintb7

  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined: 13-August 16

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

I know there are several threads on this, but they are riddled with conflicting information. 


Does anyone know the clear answer on what you are required to do with your FOID/CCL when moving out of IL?


Some have said do nothing, others have said they had warrants issued when they did nothing. Some have said mail it, some have said turn it in to local PD (who I am sure would laugh at me in Indiana). 


I have tried emailing and calling the ISP, all of the extensions for firearms at the ISP just hang up on you, tell you to call the number you just called, or tell you it is for LEO only, why bother having a phone number? So happy to be done with this. 


Does anyone have a clear confirmed answer on what to do? I will have to visit IL so I don't want to risk having a warrant. 


Thank you in advance, and I strongly encourage the rest of you to come join me, look up the property taxes in IN if you need some motivation. 

#2 Glock23

    I am no one.

  • Supporting Members Team
  • 4,086 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 13

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Technically, I think the law only states that you're required to notify the ISP of an address change within 21 days of moving. I don't think it says what to do with the actual card.

Personally, I would hold a ceremonial bonfire, filmed of course, in which I burned both my FOID and CCL, then send them a copy.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member


#3 Craigcelia


  • Supporting Members Team
  • 2,215 posts
  • Joined: 05-November 09

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

If the ISP were a private business, they would be out of business by now.


My father-in-law moved to Indiana from Illinois about 6 months ago.  He did nothing.  I can tell you with confidence, no agency will issue a warrant for you.

#4 RevWildman


  • Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined: 07-May 13

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

If the ISP were a private business, they would be out of business by now.


My father-in-law moved to Indiana from Illinois about 6 months ago.  He did nothing.  I can tell you with confidence, no agency will issue a warrant for you.


At least, not within a 6 month window.

NRA Lifetime Member

#5 Euler


  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Joined: 26-February 18

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

The police are not your lawyers. Don't expect accurate legal advice from them.

The licensing conditions of the CCL require you to notify the ISP within 30 days of an address change.

430 ILCS 66/55. Change of address or name; lost, destroyed, or stolen licenses.

(a) A licensee shall notify the Department within 30 days of moving or changing residence or any change of name. ...

Since moving out of state makes you ineligible, the ISP should notify you that your license is revoked. Upon receiving a notice of revocation, supposedly you have 48 hours to turn your licenses in to the local PD where you now reside and get a receipt for them.

430 ILCS 66/70. Violations.

(a) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found to be ineligible for a license under this Act or the licensee no longer meets the eligibility requirements of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.


(g) A licensee whose license is revoked, suspended, or denied shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation, suspension, or denial, surrender his or her concealed carry license to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the licensee a receipt and transmit the concealed carry license to the Department of State Police. ...

Honestly, I doubt an out-of-state PD will care. If, however, the ISP decides it really cares, I'd send them copies of the receipts and let them contact the local PD.


Edited by Euler, 11 October 2018 - 01:49 PM.


    Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

  • Members
  • 6,230 posts
  • Joined: 30-January 08

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

Send them the cards by registered mail so they have to sign for it.

Don't know if this is legally the way to notify but you could enclose a note saying "Moving to (state / city) Later"...

Edited by GWBH, 11 October 2018 - 02:59 PM.

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC

Phil Compton "ishmo", "L" Company 75th Infantry (RANGER) 101st Airborne Division (VietNam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a good soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#7 InterestedBystander


  • Supporting Members Team
  • 5,196 posts
  • Joined: 15-March 13

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

I would do nothing. If you receive something from the ISP, then deal with any letters then. I believe when you get new state DL and turn your IL license in, that should trigger the cancellation of your current DL, FOID, and CCL.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️
Rauner, Harold, Dodge, 46th HD:Kinzler, 8th CD:Diganvker, 55th HD:Smolenski, 91st HD:Unes

#8 Jeffrey


  • Members
  • 4,908 posts
  • Joined: 10-January 08

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

After what I invested in just to get the damn thing, I'm keeping it.  

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#9 ming


  • Supporting Members Team
  • 2,134 posts
  • Joined: 22-July 09

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

After what I invested in just to get the damn thing, I'm keeping it.  

LOL, while I certainly wouldn't recommend doing anything unlawful  ( ;) ), I can definitely see where you're coming from!

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#10 soundguy


  • Supporting Members Team
  • 5,361 posts
  • Joined: 27-February 05

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

Put it in the box with your draft card.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#11 junglebob


  • Supporting Members Team
  • 5,996 posts
  • Joined: 03-December 04

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Put it in the box with your draft card.

I lost my draft card can I be arrested?

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#12 Flingarrows


  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined: 19-June 16

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

I have been gone for almost 2 years, and still active. One of these ill send it back, or it will expire.. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 tnertb


  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined: 04-December 15

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

Been gone 10 months.  No letters, warrants...etc

#14 BigJim


  • Members
  • 3,376 posts
  • Joined: 30-June 08

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

Drop it down the seat of an outhouse and drop a roll on it.  Take picture and send to ISP along with a note containing the location of the outhouse in case the ISP wants to come get it.

Big Jim
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users