Photo

Change to ISP CCL certificate

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 sirflyguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Have you saved the file off onto your computer and then accessed it? That might help.

It saved it as a non-editable pdf. All is well now, though.

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC)

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#62 bigbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

On the ISP certificate is the one box labeled 16hrs the only box that needs to be checked if your instructor provided basic pistol cert for you also. My ISP cert has only the 16hrs box checked.

#63 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 13,037 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

On the ISP certificate is the one box labeled 16hrs the only box that needs to be checked if your instructor provided basic pistol cert for you also. My ISP cert has only the 16hrs box checked.

Maybe. I've issued the NRA BP certificate to my students and then for the second 8 hours I issue the state certificate indicating that I verified the first 8 hours of BP. Since I teach from the CLIC curriculum, and it clearly states that it is an 8 hour curriculum in addition to previous training, I believe that is the way to issue the state certificate. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it based on what I read in the CLIC curriculum. I don't want any of my students getting bounced for checking the wrong box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Have all boated who fish?

#64 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

No. You did not take a 16 hr ILCCF class. You took an NRA Basic Pistol and used that for prior credit. Your cert should have the second box checked with "8hrs" and "NRA Basic Pistol" filled in the blanks.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by bobapunk, 31 December 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#65 Raptor12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

Depends on how the instructor filled out his Curriculum APPROVAL form.

#66 F.Ecks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:16 AM

Here's a BIG MISTAKE:

There is NO PLACE ON THE APPLICATION for those EXEMPT from the 16 hour class - namely those with a current Firearm Control Card.

Section 75, paragraph H clearly states regarding the Illinois CCL class:
"(h) A person who has qualified to carry a firearm as an
active law enforcement officer, a person certified as a
firearm instructor by this Act or by the Illinois Law
Enforcement Training Standards Board, or a person who has
completed the required training and has been issued a firearms
control card by the Department of Financial and Professional
Regulation shall be exempt from the requirements of this section."

There should be a box or something or some exempt space to put your Firearm Control Card number or PERC 40 hour training number, right?

So Molly PLEASE tell me I'm right...or else I have to sign up for a class real quick!

So somebody help me as my rights are being infringed, doggone it!!!

#67 Redlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Go back on the site now,you can claim an FCCN and a few other things as an exemption,in check off boxes. They seem to be changing things on the app.

Edited by Redlin, 01 January 2014 - 06:30 AM.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

#68 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Depends on how the instructor filled out his Curriculum APPROVAL form.

No it doesn't.

NRA Basic Pistol is approved for prior training credit. I know there are dozens of instructors who applied for and received course ID#s for NRA Basic Pistol, but that is simply not the logical way for the system to work.

Of you have NRA Basic Pistol, you took an 8 hr ILCCF class & you also have 8 hours of prior training credit. Period.

With that said, I don't see people being denied for the since many instructors only applied for one Course ID# and that ID# is for a 16 hour course.

ISP not providing any instruction/guidance has really made this a mess...

#69 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,635 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

It really shouldn't matter if you taught Basic Pistol as the first 8 hrs. and CLIC or something else for the second 8 hrs. You did indeed provide 16 hrs. of training with all the required elements, so you can check either one. The information we have from the ISP is that the CLIC curriculum, though noted as an 8 hr. supplement, was approved by the ISP for up to 16 hrs. The instructor would just need to expand the modules to fit the time requirements.

Certificates marked either way are expected to be accepted just fine.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#70 Pipedoc

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

I have lost count. Is this the fourth change to the certificate now?

2A Firearms Education
www.2AFE.com
815-714-9757

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#71 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

It really shouldn't matter if you taught Basic Pistol as the first 8 hrs. and CLIC or something else for the second 8 hrs. You did indeed provide 16 hrs. of training with all the required elements, so you can check either one. The information we have from the ISP is that the CLIC curriculum, though noted as an 8 hr. supplement, was approved by the ISP for up to 16 hrs. The instructor would just need to expand the modules to fit the time requirements.

Certificates marked either way are expected to be accepted just fine.

I agree, Molly, and have stated as much. My academic and professional lives have just made me a stickler for details and standards I guess...

#72 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I have lost count. Is this the fourth change to the certificate now?

3rd Public release I think...

#73 Pipedoc

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

I like the latest version but if they add more approved training exemptions they will have to keep changing it.

2A Firearms Education
www.2AFE.com
815-714-9757

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

#74 F.Ecks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Go back on the site now,you can claim an FCCN and a few other things as an exemption,in check off boxes. They seem to be changing things on the app.

Well, now...I guess the Illinois State Police has just become my favorite Law Enforcement Agency!

The only thing that is strange to me is their inability to create paper applications! :blink: I mean, isn't all the digital stuff like 10x harder? Just sayin'....

#75 dutz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

...isn't all the digital stuff like 10x harder?

If done properly, yes. Not what they had built.

#76 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

This is like the 5th change! <grumbles!>

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#77 Pipedoc

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

...............The only thing that is strange to me is their inability to create paper applications! :blink: I mean, isn't all the digital stuff like 10x harder? Just sayin'....

It's because they are too busy creating certificates!

2A Firearms Education
www.2AFE.com
815-714-9757

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

#78 danbrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Maybe. I've issued the NRA BP certificate to my students and then for the second 8 hours I issue the state certificate indicating that I verified the first 8 hours of BP. Since I teach from the CLIC curriculum, and it clearly states that it is an 8 hour curriculum in addition to previous training, I believe that is the way to issue the state certificate. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it based on what I read in the CLIC curriculum. I don't want any of my students getting bounced for checking the wrong box.

That's exactly how I'm doing it.

#79 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

That's exactly how I'm doing it.

IMO that is the correct way to complete the cert. They had 8 hours of prior credit. NRA BP is prior credit, it is not a concealed carry curriculum.

#80 fubarud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

This means that everyone with counterfeit NRA Basic Pistol Certs are fine now, as long as their CCI signs an ISP certificate?

God forbid that. We would be Arizona if we had people running around with less than 16 hours of redundant training.
Articles common to your handbag that make useful defense weapons.

nail file
rat tail comb
teasing brush
pens and pencils
keys
anything rigid

#81 45b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

The ISP has all the Instructors email addresses from our applications.

They should at least send us an email when they make changes so we can be informed.
Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor / NRA Life Member / NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer / U.S. Army Small Arms & Artillery Repair NCO / Glock Armorer

#82 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

The ISP has all the Instructors email addresses from our applications.

They should at least send us an email when they make changes so we can be informed.

Yes, they should and they should also except the permit as proof instead of a cert, a cert is much easier to forge than a state issue holographic ID. ~Shakes head~

#83 Cougar8000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

did it just get changed again?

Alex
Firearm dealer - 01 license
RangeMaster instructor

Massad Ayoob staff instructor teaching Mas-20 range
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, PPITH and PPOTH, Chief Range Officer
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

NRA Life member

Misha Tactical Arms on Facebook please like it :)

Special rate to Join NRA

www.mishatacticalarms.com

#84 Molly B.

• 14,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yes
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#85 sirflyguy

• 2,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Yes

It looks the same as it did to me a week or so ago.

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC)

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#86 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

Here's a BIG MISTAKE:

There is NO PLACE ON THE APPLICATION for those EXEMPT from the 16 hour class - namely those with a current Firearm Control Card.

Section 75, paragraph H clearly states regarding the Illinois CCL class:
"(h) A person who has qualified to carry a firearm as an
active law enforcement officer, a person certified as a
firearm instructor by this Act or by the Illinois Law
Enforcement Training Standards Board, or a person who has
completed the required training and has been issued a firearms
control card by the Department of Financial and Professional
Regulation shall be exempt from the requirements of this section."

There should be a box or something or some exempt space to put your Firearm Control Card number or PERC 40 hour training number, right?

So Molly PLEASE tell me I'm right...or else I have to sign up for a class real quick!

So somebody help me as my rights are being infringed, doggone it!!!

I got that from a potential student today... err yesterday where he wanted me to sign off and I said I could not do it and to call ISP.

#87 Molly B.

• 14,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

folks who are exempt from the training requirement do not have to have an isp certificate of training. when they apply for their license there will be a place for them to upload their credentials and exempt information.

#88 Molly B.

• 14,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Question. When I fill out the new certificate, the date stays in red and so does the instructor number. The other fields do not do this. Makes me wonder if I'm entering something wrong.

The new two choices to mark (instead of the former 4 boxes) has me somewhat confused. If we verified prior training, we mark that box and select the prior training - got it. Do we still mark the top box, enter hours we provided, and our curriculum number?

I'm getting dizzy from trying to keep up with all the changes!

#89 Raptor12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

What needs to be done is the instructional sheet for certificates dated Sept. 2013 needs to be re-written.

#90 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Valinda, yes you check both boxes if they have prior training. I think the red fields are no problem.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users