Gas Tax - How did Reps Vote

GWBH

In some respects, I'm lucky with regards to the gas tax. I'm retired, live near a border, and have a club meeting on the "other side" about once a month. I have 2 - 5-gallon metal cans and a 6 gallon plastic jug that I can fill up over there and add to my vehicles as needed. Right now, that is saving me about $0.25/gallon.

Just made my first trip to WI (Kenosha) to fill up, what a flippin' madhouse the gas stations were up there, no empty pumps and I'm not exagerating when I say that every vehicle I saw at the gas station I was filling up at and the gas stations I drove by in the same area had IL plates!

Filled up the wife's vehicle and five 5 gallon cans for the 2nd vehicle and lawn tractor today, the biggest inconvenience is that credit pre-authorizaiton was only for $100 so I had to do two transcactions as the pump shut off at $100.

Saved about $13 dollars today since the wife only worked a few days last week and still had a decent amount of gas in the tank, we will save closer to the $20 when we do it again next week, plus whatever we save on our grocery shopping trip that we will do at the same time. Difference was $0.27 today over the lowest I could find locally on Gas Buddy, while several local stations are still in the $0.35-$0.46 higher range around me, not bad considering that we didn't really shop around for the cheapest in Kenosha as we wanted to make it a quick trip.

Personally I think these tax hikes are going to hurt the state in the long run. I made my first trip to Missouri yesterday. I live a little south of Springfield and checked out gas buddy before I went. Gas at the Sams club in Crestwood was selling for 2.21.9. Station was packed. Filled the car up, and 4 5 gallon cans. Saved .64 a gallon compared to my town prices. But the big savings for me came when I went into Sams and brought 4 cartons of smokes. 54 vs 87 in my town. Of course I did some other shopping while there, ate lunch there also. Nice little trip. Screw you JB. The money I save is worth the trip, I'll be going again.

Once the state realizes how much gas is now being bought out of state look for the state to prohibit transport of gas into the state in anything other than your vehicle's gas tank. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Of course they will.. Just look at what they've done concerning transporting cigarettes across the Illinois Indiana border. You're only allowed so many cartons, punishable by law.

For possession of unstamped cigarettes:

• $20 for each package of cigarettes in excess of 9 packages but not more than 100 packages, and
  • $25 for each package of cigarettes in excess of 100 packages. [ 35 ILCS 130/25a and 25b]

There are also criminal penalties for the sale or possession of unstamped cigarettes. [ 35 ILCS 130/24; 35 ILCS 135/30]

In addition, there are criminal penalties for unauthorized transportation of unstamped cigarettes. [ 35 ILCS 130/9c]

You can become a FELON for buying 2 or 3 cartons of smokes in Indiana for your own personal use..

https://reason.com/2018/07/31/cigarette-smuggling-to-thwart-the-taxman/

"Missouri is known as a mecca for cigarette smugglers because it has the lowest tax in the country at just 17 cents," reports KPLR in St. Louis. "Every surrounding state is over a dollar. Criminals see a pipeline of profit leading to Chicago, where the combined city and state cigarette tax is $6.16 per pack."

How do we find out out the voted on this...

House Bill 1637
Keep Illinois Families Together Act

HB 1637 prohibits local law enforcement agencies from engaging in federal immigration enforcement with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

While local law enforcement agencies in 21 states, including Wisconsin, participate in the 287(g) Program — an ICE program that allows local law enforcement officials to identify and remove undocumented residents from the U.S. — Illinois now statutorily prohibits participation. This bill ensures witnesses of all backgrounds can come forward and report crime to their local police. HB 1637 took effect on June 21, 2019.

They can stay together on the bus!

On the gas thing, once again those ugly piss poor designed CARB compliant gas cans irk me to no end, it's time to get replacement 'old school' spounts.

Went to put gas in the wifes 2019 Traverse, she wanted a little buffer for the drive to work today, it doesn't have a gas cap, instead it has two self closing trap doors, %$^#$%^#$& CARB compliant spout would only fit in far enough to trigger the first trap door, meaning the second one was still fully closed so no gas was getting in but instead spilling out. Can you imagine being on the side of the road out of gas and unable to actually put gas into the car because the spout on every flippin' new gas can't won't fit nor fill your gas tank!

Lucky for me I had an older spout and was able to do a quick swap and be back in business, but only because I was at home with multiple aged gas cans to choose from.

Flynn - look for a long plastic funnel with a flexible "gooseneck". The one I have is about 2 feet long with a 6" spout and a 4" dia. x 5" high "can" on the receiving end. You can stick this in the neck of the gas tank and pour the gas in (slowly) the top. If the nozzle of this funnel isn't long enough, make your own. Take a 12" piece of garden hose, insert a piece of copper tubing long enough to open both trap doors with at least 2" inside the garden hose. Hose clamp the hose to the pipe, then put a large funnel in the other end and hose clamp it too. The only problem with this is that someone has to hold the funnel so the gas doesn't spill out.

BTW - prices in St. Clair county jumped from $2.849 to $2.999 yesterday. Thanks "Jabba" !!

I'm thinking I might just pick up a few of these conversion kits, they are specifically designed for 'no gas cap cars'

https://ezpourspout.com/product/rigid-replacement-spout-vent-kit/

Just annoying, even filling my lawn tractor with these CARB spouts is a chore and take forever (my old cans are all slowly dying so I have been upgrading) even using some older CARB designs that flow 100% better than what most cans now have it's still far more trouble then old school spouts...

On the gas thing, once again those ugly piss poor designed CARB compliant gas cans irk me to no end, it's time to get replacement 'old school' spounts.

Went to put gas in the wifes 2019 Traverse, she wanted a little buffer for the drive to work today, it doesn't have a gas cap, instead it has two self closing trap doors, %$^#$%^#$& CARB compliant spout would only fit in far enough to trigger the first trap door, meaning the second one was still fully closed so no gas was getting in but instead spilling out. Can you imagine being on the side of the road out of gas and unable to actually put gas into the car because the spout on every flippin' new gas can't won't fit nor fill your gas tank!

Lucky for me I had an older spout and was able to do a quick swap and be back in business, but only because I was at home with multiple aged gas cans to choose from.

go to any advance auto or auto zone. they have "capless fuel funnels" for 1.99 for this exact reason.

Archived